5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind Noise from Pano Sunroof, Anyone Else having same Problem?

DanSkan

Reaction score
Does (or did) anyone get a wind noise from their panoramic sunroof? Does the sound get quite loud at highway speeds with the sunscreen open but much muted with the sunscreen closed?
Mine does.

The front corners of the glass do not seal tightly against the weather stripping when it is normally closed and water will not puddle on the joint - allowing water to leak in and creating a air leak/wind noise while driving.

When I close the sunroof and "help" it close tightly by pushing forward on the frame as it finishes closing, it does close tightly with no gap between the glass and the gasket and water will puddle proving that there is a tight seal and when I drive, no more wind noise. Then when I let it close by itself, it does not close tightly again - same gap, no water puddle, and same wind noise.

I took it to Ram for warranty service and they said they fixed it by recalibrating it but when I picked it up - same gap, same leak, and same noise. I was not happy especially when I asked if the service tech test drove the truck to make sure it was fixed - I was told yes and no more wind noise. It is amazing that a tech can test drive a vehicle at highway speeds to verify that there is no more wind noise and not even put a 10th of a mile on the odometer??
I'm not sure what they will have to do to fix the problem - I don't see any easily accessible screws to allow adjustment. The service repr. doesn't know either. I really don't want them ripping out the headliner and the sunroof to reset it. I don't think the service techs have much experience with pano sunroof even though they are similar to the Jeep's that have been around for a while.

Not only is the wind sound annoying but I am more concerned with the water leaking in even though there are drains that hopefully effectively drains all water out.

Has anyone else had this issue and what was done to fix it?

DanSkan

Reaction score
Just got an update from the RAM service advisor - he said the next step is to drop the truck off and remove the headliner to access the sunroof track to make adjustments.

I really don't want my headliner removed if there is another option.

Has anyone had this fixed? How did they do it?

Hammer1

Reaction score
They won't be able to fix it. I have a jeep GC with the pano roof and it has the same wind noise. They didn't us a good quality insulated glass. BTW they removed my headliner already as it was making noise. It did not have the proper fasteners so I don't think that's a big deal. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong

DanSkan

Reaction score
I am sure it is not the insulated glass or any road noise - it is definately the gap between the glass and the front seal allowing air to come in making a wind noise.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does (or did) anyone get a wind noise from their panoramic sunroof? Does the sound get quite loud at highway speeds with the sunscreen open but much muted with the sunscreen closed?
Mine does.

The front corners of the glass do not seal tightly against the weather stripping when it is normally closed and water will not puddle on the joint - allowing water to leak in and creating a air leak/wind noise while driving.

When I close the sunroof and "help" it close tightly by pushing forward on the frame as it finishes closing, it does close tightly with no gap between the glass and the gasket and water will puddle proving that there is a tight seal and when I drive, no more wind noise. Then when I let it close by itself, it does not close tightly again - same gap, no water puddle, and same wind noise.

I took it to Ram for warranty service and they said they fixed it by recalibrating it but when I picked it up - same gap, same leak, and same noise. I was not happy especially when I asked if the service tech test drove the truck to make sure it was fixed - I was told yes and no more wind noise. It is amazing that a tech can test drive a vehicle at highway speeds to verify that there is no more wind noise and not even put a 10th of a mile on the odometer??
I'm not sure what they will have to do to fix the problem - I don't see any easily accessible screws to allow adjustment. The service repr. doesn't know either. I really don't want them ripping out the headliner and the sunroof to reset it. I don't think the service techs have much experience with pano sunroof even though they are similar to the Jeep's that have been around for a while.

Not only is the wind sound annoying but I am more concerned with the water leaking in even though there are drains that hopefully effectively drains all water out.

Has anyone else had this issue and what was done to fix it?

I have a limited as well and the cab is extremely quiet almost eerily quiet. I would definitely get it resolved. You might want to see if you can drive another limited to see if you hear the same noise in another one. I noticed how quiet my cab is when driving on the highway. Also make sure when it rains it doesn't leak water into your cab.

DanSkan

Reaction score
When I help the roof close it is not noisy anymore - just like it should be. By pushing the glass forward at the finish of the closing cycle it closes tightly and I leave it like that to stop the annoying sound and also to keep the water out. I don't want to have to do it every time I use the sunroof but since it is cold up here in upstate NY I won't be using the sunroof but like to keep the sunshade open all the way.

tdeperte

Reaction score
I have the pano roof, no noise no leaks. Hopefully they will get yours adjusted correctly.

Hammer1

Reaction score
My 2015 eco diesel was much more quiet a highway speeds. This truck has a bunch of wind and road noise in comparison. Those that never owned a Ram before would not notice a difference. I'm going to push the front of the sunroof closed and hope for positive results

Kyle outdoors

Reaction score
I have this exact noise.. check out my video.. its loud. But i havent had a water leak... its winter. Thats why. Hope it doesnt leak in summer rain.

DanSkan

Reaction score
Got my pono sunroof fixed - no more wind sound.

I took it back to the dealer and they thought they would have to remove the headliner and readjust the sunroof glass and/or mechanism. They first tried to adjust the front glass that is mounted on the slider mechanism with 6 bolts. They found that there is no "slot" for moving the glass for adjustment but they were able to get about 1/16" movement forward with the bolts and that was enough.

Just a little gap makes a big difference in air coming through the sunroof and the wind noise.

By closing in the gap the water doesn't just run in now and is mostly kept out with the tighter seal. There are 4 drain hoses that drain the water that leaks in to the outside of the truck so some leak is normal but not as much as I was getting with the larger gap.

Now I am happy that I can ride with the sunscreen completely open and the huge sunroof lets in a lot of light and there is no more obnoxious wind noise.

There is also a recalibration sequence that I was given if someone wants to try to recalibrate the setting before physical adjustment is tried

It doesn't look like much difference between the gap and no gap but it does make a difference between water leak and air leak and no leak.

Attachments

• Ram Sunroof Gap.jpg
    Ram Sunroof Gap.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • Ram Sunroof No Gap.jpg
    Ram Sunroof No Gap.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116

bonebro

Reaction score
Got my pono sunroof fixed - no more wind sound.

I took it back to the dealer and they thought they would have to remove the headliner and readjust the sunroof glass and/or mechanism. They first tried to adjust the front glass that is mounted on the slider mechanism with 6 bolts. They found that there is no "slot" for moving the glass for adjustment but they were able to get about 1/16" movement forward with the bolts and that was enough.

Just a little gap makes a big difference in air coming through the sunroof and the wind noise.

By closing in the gap the water doesn't just run in now and is mostly kept out with the tighter seal. There are 4 drain hoses that drain the water that leaks in to the outside of the truck so some leak is normal but not as much as I was getting with the larger gap.

Now I am happy that I can ride with the sunscreen completely open and the huge sunroof lets in a lot of light and there is no more obnoxious wind noise.

There is also a recalibration sequence that I was given if someone wants to try to recalibrate the setting before physical adjustment is tried

It doesn't look like much difference between the gap and no gap but it does make a difference between water leak and air leak and no leak.
Glad you got it fixed! I’d be interested in the recal sequence

DanSkan

Reaction score
To recalibrate a dual glass, panoramic sunroof:
1. make sure sunroof is closed
2. set ignition to on (I start truck)
3. open driver side door
4. turn ignition to off (I turn off truck)
5. within 5 sec. turn ignition to on (I start truck again)
6. within 5 sec. push/hold close switch
while holding close switch within 10 sec. recalibration process begins - continue to hold close switch
glass while try to move forward to hard stop and motor will click
power sunshade will close and motor will click
7. release close switch and within 5 sec. push/hold close switch again - keep holding close switch
sunshade will open
glass will open fully and close again
sunshade will close again
8. release close switch
9. check system to operate normally

I will try to post a picture of the instructions

I also have the single glass sunroof recalibration procedure if anyone needs it

Kyle outdoors

Reaction score
To recalibrate a dual glass, panoramic sunroof:
1. make sure sunroof is closed
2. set ignition to on (I start truck)
3. open driver side door
4. turn ignition to off (I turn off truck)
5. within 5 sec. turn ignition to on (I start truck again)
6. within 5 sec. push/hold close switch
while holding close switch within 10 sec. recalibration process begins - continue to hold close switch
glass while try to move forward to hard stop and motor will click
power sunshade will close and motor will click
7. release close switch and within 5 sec. push/hold close switch again - keep holding close switch
sunshade will open
glass will open fully and close again
sunshade will close again
8. release close switch
9. check system to operate normally

I will try to post a picture of the instructions

I also have the single glass sunroof recalibration procedure if anyone needs it

Id love to see photos as this can help me. I have wind noise.. also maybe do a video for youtube!! Bet that would help alot of people. Videos are the best way to show someone something

DanSkan

Reaction score
Pano Dual Pane Sunroof Recal instructions as posted

Screen shot (not very clear (see previous posting for written out instructions)

Attachments

• Pano Dual Pane Sunroof Recalibration.jpeg
    Pano Dual Pane Sunroof Recalibration.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 88

DanSkan

Reaction score
Single Pane (non pano) Sunroof Recal instructions

Attachments

• Single Pane Sunroof Recalibration.jpeg
    Single Pane Sunroof Recalibration.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 34

Striker99

Reaction score
I too just purchased my Ram and i'm getting wind noise on the panoramic sunroof. Has everyone that had the problem get theirs fixed? Right now the weather here is around freezing, this shouldn't matter like some are saying...

DanSkan

Reaction score
I too just purchased my Ram and i'm getting wind noise on the panoramic sunroof. Has everyone that had the problem get theirs fixed? Right now the weather here is around freezing, this shouldn't matter like some are saying...
Yes, I got mine fixed, read previous posts on this thread.

Striker99

Reaction score
Yes, I got mine fixed, read previous posts on this thread.

I did the recalibration but air noise still there. The one thing I did do is when I closed the Pano Sunroof, I helped it close by pushing it in the corner of the sunroof. This helped and noise gone, but I have to do this everytime. The little push helped...

DanSkan

Reaction score
I was afraid that the service tech would need to remove the headliner to adjust the sunroof to close tightly but he was able to just loosen the 6 bolts that hold the front glass in place and slide it forward a fraction of an inch, just enough for it to close tightly against the weather stripping. The 6 bolts aren't set up for adjustment but they allowed enough to make a difference.

If others are having the same issue, I would suggest taking their trucks in for warranty service and let the service manager know what was done to mine to fix the issue, hopefully others can be adjusted to close tightly without removing the headliner also.

Users who are viewing this thread