5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release wire located

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just posting in case it helps someone else.

If you take up driver sill plate, under the carpet and wire holder, there is a thin green and white stripe wire. It’s the tailgate button sense. I was able to ground it thru a 2k ohm resistor and it pops the tailgate.

There are several green and white stripe wires in this harness. I verified by disconnecting battery, and uses multimeter between ground the probe the green and white stripe wire. Mine read 2.6k ohms at rest. And goes to 1.4k ohms if someone holds the tailgate button.

Useful if you wanted a switch in the cab to drop the tailgate. F6A7E1CF-C2F3-4372-94F0-8BB54352CDA3.jpeg

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a switch in the overhead console on the Limited... is it not there on other trims?

Rich

Reaction score
Nice find!

I was thinking about this the other day.

I wonder if we could add the tailgate open button to the overhead console? Just order it from parts and it will look OEM!

Does this wire go to some module that is computer controlled? Does anyone know where wire terminates?

Hmmm.. can we get a limited key fob too and be able to open the tailgate from that also? It would probably require a programming or "sales code" change.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah big horn doesn’t have it :( which is stupid if the wiring is there. It’s literally like a 2 cent addition. this is so I can pretend to be a limited.

Ok... so maybe a Laramie/Longhorn/Limited thing... great that you have the wire so you can make your own switch though!

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went via the wiring diagrams on tech authority, and I saw a tailgate button sense that leaves the tailgate and goes forward to the body control module, and then the body control module has a relay output to trigger the left and right latches (yes, they are separate outputs). so yes, the body control module is between the switch, and the solenoids. This way, when vehicle is lock, the request to unlock isn't permitted.

I didn't find a analog sense in the overhead console wiring, so I'm assuming the overhead console is on the can bus, and send the bcm a open request via a network command.

But yes, I do think if you were to purchase the correct overhead console and enable the feature in the body control module, it would probably work. I'm fine with adding a button..plus I like hacking stuff.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info! Again, it's a great help!

I used to implement and design control software, so I have a feel or good imagination as to how they could have done this sort of stuff.

Rich

Reaction score
I did a search and came up with this page that shows some of the upper console switches:

https://www.myoemmoparparts.com/v-2019-ram-1500--big-horn--1/electrical--switches

If you scroll to almost the bottom of the page, you can see Overhead Console Switch (#2) listed, as about a $42 part. The problem is that this list shows about 10 of the #2 switches, so I'm not sure what is different about them! They all show part number 6EM23TX7AC, so why are 10 of them listed????

Donahuej

Reaction score
Have we confirmed adding the switch (part number please) and dealer voodoo magic will make this work?

RamTastic2020

Reaction score

If you take up driver sill plate, under the carpet and wire holder, there is a thin green and white stripe wire. It’s the tailgate button sense. I was able to ground it thru a 2k ohm resistor and it pops the tailgate.

There are several green and white stripe wires in this harness. I verified by disconnecting battery, and uses multimeter between ground the probe the green and white stripe wire. Mine read 2.6k ohms at rest. And goes to 1.4k ohms if someone holds the tailgate button.

Useful if you wanted a switch in the cab to drop the tailgate. View attachment 15642

I love it, 21st century hot wiring!

saturn298

Reaction score
I did a search and came up with this page that shows some of the upper console switches:

https://www.myoemmoparparts.com/v-2019-ram-1500--big-horn--1/electrical--switches

If you scroll to almost the bottom of the page, you can see Overhead Console Switch (#2) listed, as about a $42 part. The problem is that this list shows about 10 of the #2 switches, so I'm not sure what is different about them! They all show part number 6EM23TX7AC, so why are 10 of them listed????

There are a bunch of them due to options....

BigHorn53

Reaction score
Anyone ever figure this out? Nice feature for when the wife walks up to the truck to out something in.

Tinbanger84

Reaction score

Useful if you wanted a switch in the cab to drop the tailgate. View attachment 15642
This is awesome info!!! I have a question, did you tap into it or cut it? And do you have a picture of your switch or button that you used?🙏

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Hoping someone figures out how to add the own switch. I’ve got a rebel with comfort and convenience that listed remote tailgate release as an option. Apparently this just means you get a key fob with the tailgate button. Was hoping for a switch in the console like the Laramie and Limiteds.

ih8pvmt1

Reaction score
Nice find!

I was thinking about this the other day.

I wonder if we could add the tailgate open button to the overhead console? Just order it from parts and it will look OEM!

Does this wire go to some module that is computer controlled? Does anyone know where wire terminates?

Hmmm.. can we get a limited key fob too and be able to open the tailgate from that also? It would probably require a programming or "sales code" change.
I'm sure somebody already answered this but you can buy the key fob for Tailgate release. I just did for my 2020 2500 tradesman.

Reaction score
So. i'm new to the group. I apologize if it is posted elsewhere, I cannot locate it. Can anyone provide the part number for the actual switch that goes in the overhead console? Yes ,I have the correct overhead console. '23 backcountry with sunroof. The blank plate is there.

TJBigHorn1500

Reaction score

This is really useful. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking about splicing in a RF controlled switch into this line. This will allow me to attached a small dongle on my car key fob so I would be able to approach my truck and drop the tailgate ahead of time with the push of a button. It would add an additional item on my keys but would be so much cheaper than getting a new key fob and reprogramming it. I was going to buy this $15 switch off amazon.

Amazon.com

Anyone have any thoughts?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be able to approach my truck and drop the tailgate ahead of time with the push of a button.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Why?

I have the button on my overhead and on my keyfob and I can't imagine a situation where either would be useful. Opening the tailgate is a easy press of a pad and it only takes a few seconds to be fully open. If your hands are too full to open the tailgate with a free hand then they are also too full to push a button on the keyfob or overhead.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm more interested in a way to open the tailgate when you have no power to anything in the truck. Or when something major fails such as the RF hub. There was no way for me to open the tailgate when the RF hub in our 2020 Limited failed. And since we have a rigid tonneau cover...lets just say it's a good thing we weren't hauling around anything important at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread