5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Gas Hog

Ram19Va

Reaction score
When I'm calculating gas mileage I always reset the trip meter and the fuel economy, and then the measurements start. If I have been driving in city/hwy and starting/stopping due to shopping, and then attempt measurement then it will be off and incorrect.

Something I have noticed. When I run 87 there is almost no Hemi tick, but if I put in 89 it is a bit more pronounced. I waited till I was under a 1/4 tank before switching to a full tank of 89 to see how it would affect gas mileage, and the difference was not worth mentioning.

At around 8,400 miles and city is near 17mpg with Hwy up to 19.something max so far. This is with MDS off, I never use it anymore.

dannydyn

Reaction score
Every other Ram 1500 trim has much better fuel economy tires and usually gets better fuel economy. The Rebel is only unique in the 1" lift (same as the ORP on other trims), which isn't going to crush fuel economy as much as the tires I'd imagine. It is no wonder the Rebel gets the worst fuel economy of all the Ram 1500s.

Rebel also has added extra weight via under-body skid plates.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
.... but man you can literally see the gauge dropping as your driving....

you are speaking the truth. I have a 2WD but with the 3.92 gears, and it is no lie when i punch it on the highway to pass someone, you l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y can see the needle move, AND if it had an estimated 350 DTE before i had to accelerate to like 80 just to pass, if i glance at it right after that needle says, 325...its as if it INSTANTLY says, "oh no you don't sister, not driving like that are you gonna get that RANGE!!!." But like the other guy said, smiles per gallon are unlimited, and gas is at an all time low right now, and when you EXPECT less, once it start climbing as the engine breaks in, "you'll be like WOW 13 mpg?! Great!!!" lol

Last edited:

slimchance

Reaction score
Noticed today after I turned on my ECO light that it rarely comes on even when letting off and coasting. Heard in another thread that cylinder deactivation doesn’t kick in til a certain point after break in. On my ‘14 the ECO was flashing on quite regularly. Anybody hit a certain mileage before they saw the ECO show up more often? I think it’s goong to help drastically if cylinder deactivation isn’t part of the equation right now. I’m only at 140 miles so no I’m not getting excited. Love the truck so far.
our trucks are not rebels, but on both our 2019 rams the eco lights came on when going home from delivery, both had less than 25 miles on the odometer ... they are etorque and are getting the advertised 19 mpg combined ... wife's now has 4000 miles and my truck has 3000 miles

ortvk

Reaction score
you are speaking the truth. I have a 2WD but with the 3.92 gears, and it is no lie when i punch it on the highway to pass someone, you l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y can see the needle move, AND if it had an estimated 350 DTE before i had to accelerate to like 80 just to pass, if i glance at it right after that needle says, 325...its as if it INSTANTLY says, "oh no you don't sister, not driving like that are you gonna get that RANGE!!!." But like the other guy said, smiles per gallon are unlimited, and gas is at an all time low right now, and when you EXPECT less, once it start climbing as the engine breaks in, "you'll be like WOW 13 mpg?! Great!!!" lol

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: this just made my day. Still enjoying 15-15.8 mpg though. I do notice these things do not like to be auto started. Drops down to like 14.5 mpg when idling sheesh!

Tommy R

Reaction score
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: this just made my day. Still enjoying 15-15.8 mpg though. I do notice these things do not like to be auto started. Drops down to like 14.5 mpg when idling sheesh!

Agreed. I've spent a bit of time idling in mine as I learn the features and play with the pretty buttons and, yep, it must be thirsty at idle!

Horkn

Reaction score
Rebel also has added extra weight via under-body skid plates.

The off road package has the same skid plates and get much better mpg than the rebels are getting. I think the duratracs are a big factor in the lower mpgvs the non rebel trucks. The 3.92 great ratio doesn't help either.

Horkn

Reaction score
Agreed. I've spent a bit of time idling in mine as I learn the features and play with the pretty buttons and, yep, it must be thirsty at idle!

Well, you are literally getting zero mpg if the engine is running and you are not moving. ;)

Tommy R

Reaction score
Well, you are literally getting zero mpg if the engine is running and you are not moving. ;)

You mean when I'm idling I'm getting 0 MPG?? Get outta here! ;) My point was that even when simply idling it appears the engine *really* drinks the fuel....moreso than I would've expected.

kjn86

Reaction score
You mean when I'm idling I'm getting 0 MPG?? Get outta here! ;) My point was that even when simply idling it appears the engine *really* drinks the fuel....moreso than I would've expected.

It's almost like idling (especially remote start) is like flooring it. If I am early on after resetting the MPG calculator, I can sit there in a parking lot and watch the MPG average decline. It's insane.

Fastman21

Reaction score
I love my Rebel. I can afford the gas. AND I would have purchased with true gas milage shown except would have insisted on the bigger tank. I purchased my truck with all the upgrades on the sticker. I believed it was for this truck. I uderstand the statment of "actual results will vary for many reasons, including driving conditions and how you drive and maintain your vehicle". What I don't like is to be mislead.
I also overlooked the size of the tank. I'm one of those people that never wants to be lower than half tank so it kinda drives me crazy. Lol.

whsk12

Reaction score
3.92 gears-33 inch tires-aero of a barn door=less mpg!-did not buy a rebel for mpg!

Neokane

Reaction score
The off road package has the same skid plates and get much better mpg than the rebels are getting. I think the duratracs are a big factor in the lower mpgvs the non rebel trucks. The 3.92 great ratio doesn't help either.

I switch from BFg's to the duratracs on my tundra, and didn't notice any change in MPG. I am pretty sure the tires are a big factor. A minor one, maybe. but nothing worth noting.

DivrGuy

Reaction score
A lot of people mentioning the 3.92 gears, but keep in mind the Rebel has 33" tires as well. I haven't done the math, but that extra tire circumference would help even out the distance traveled per axle rotation. I think the tire design is the major difference between the Rebel and the other models. Here is an interesting read about the effects of AT tires vs street tires on mileage.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-1104-tires-and-fuel-economy/

ortvk

Reaction score
A lot of people mentioning the 3.92 gears, but keep in mind the Rebel has 33" tires as well. I haven't done the math, but that extra tire circumference would help even out the distance traveled per axle rotation. I think the tire design is the major difference between the Rebel and the other models. Here is an interesting read about the effects of AT tires vs street tires on mileage.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-1104-tires-and-fuel-economy/

This is a good read! Like it has been stated many times in this post. You don't buy this truck or any truck with big tires on it for mpg.

Tommy R

Reaction score
This is a good read! Like it has been stated many times in this post. You don't buy this truck or any truck with big tires on it for mpg.

Of course we didn’t buy a truck for the economy. We bought despite the economy....at least I did. But if the truck was listed as getting 18 mpg, for example, and it actually only got 3 mpg....would that be just cause to show concern or disappointment? My point is that while we are not naive enough to believe a full-size truck is going to get great economy, it’s not right that it only delivers 60% of the EPA estimate on the sticker.

Here’s the deal....at least for me. I probably would’ve bought this truck anyway knowing it’d only get 11 mpg, but I’m not pleased about finding it out after the paperwork was signed when I expected better. It’s the only thing I don’t like about my truck and I just wish Ram were more upfront about it. At a minimum, I would’ve made sure to get the larger tank!

ortvk

Reaction score
Of course we didn’t buy a truck for the economy. We bought despite the economy....at least I did. But if the truck was listed as getting 18 mpg, for example, and it actually only got 3 mpg....would that be just cause to show concern or disappointment? My point is that while we are not naive enough to believe a full-size truck is going to get great economy, it’s not right that it only delivers 60% of the EPA estimate on the sticker.

Here’s the deal....at least for me. I probably would’ve bought this truck anyway knowing it’d only get 11 mpg, but I’m not pleased about finding it out after the paperwork was signed when I expected better. It’s the only thing I don’t like about my truck and I just wish Ram were more upfront about it. At a minimum, I would’ve made sure to get the larger tank!

In fairness (not that anyone reads it I'm sure) the window sticker says "Standard pickups range from 14 to 22 MPG . The best vehicle rates 136 MPGe. " If that's the case Mine falls in that window.

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score
I have been noticing i am burning through fuel with this truck. Getting around 9 to 10 mpg around town. Owned a 2016 gmc sierra denali 5.3 and got around 15 to 16 mpg. Hopefully this thing gets better down the road. I understand its a truck and did not expect to get great mpg but this is nowhere near what the label quoted. I watched a youtube video with TFL trucks and they also found a issue with the mpg. I do not have the etorque but man you can literally see the gauge dropping as your driving. TFL video
Sorry that you are dealing with that bud. I have the e-torque but when I first bought mine it took awhile for it to get "settled" into itself. The e-torque is only supposed to add about 2-3 MPG; I have almost 8K miles on it and I average between 18-19. The only time I drive it "hard" is in the woods, getting muddy and stuff. I drive back and forth every weekend about 400 miles. I usually don't go over 65MPH, so I believe that is the key. If I have to run it 70MPH or higher for a long period of time I will drop to about 16-17 MPG. Give it time and understand with a rear ratio of 3.93 your gas milage drops....but you make up for it in power! Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread