5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow Exhaust installed!

UnLimited

Reaction score
@3960 Let me know when you have a chance to tow with it - I was wondering the same thing prior to you purchase. I'm towing about 8k - thanks

Reaction score
Will do UnLimited. Likely towing to the UP of Michigan in the next 10 days snowmobiling. Total trailer weight will be around 7K, but it is also like a parachute, so much resistance is involved. Just my seat of the pants belief from driving it around today is that towing, it will be pretty noticeable when it downshifts or the torque converter locks up. I came from a diesel a few years ago where I was routinely towing heavy (16k). Now that I am not doing that anymore, a gasser is fine. But, I think if I was towing often, I probably would not install this system. Again, just my initial reaction right now. More to follow.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will do UnLimited. Likely towing to the UP of Michigan in the next 10 days snowmobiling. Total trailer weight will be around 7K, but it is also like a parachute, so much resistance is involved. Just my seat of the pants belief from driving it around today is that towing, it will be pretty noticeable when it downshifts or the torque converter locks up. I came from a diesel a few years ago where I was routinely towing heavy (16k). Now that I am not doing that anymore, a gasser is fine. But, I think if I was towing often, I probably would not install this system. Again, just my initial reaction right now. More to follow.
I hardly read anything after “UP”. Always a good time sledding up north!

anthtony

Reaction score
I gave the Magnaflow Cat-back system a try on my 2019 1500 limited and after 20 minutes decided it just wasn’t my “thing”. Anyone interested in an exhaust system that’s essentially brand new?

https://www.realtruck.com/magnaflow...88JlEootkSMTxcu8LM24Usgm9cAAf8vRoCtssQAvD_BwE

8fdcc5c2fd8e3d5ce4b4a761396d99b7.jpg

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just got mine installed!

Initial Thoughts:
- This is a mellow sound, it's exactly what I wanted. You know it's not stock on start up! Much lower, bassier, and actually audible sound.
- Cabin noise level is very acceptable. A guy rolled up next to me with an obnoxious stereo, I didn't hear the exhaust.
- To be honest, the tirenoise on the rebel is louder than the exhaust with MDS on. Yes you know it's not stock, but again, it is NOT over-powering.
- When you get on it? It really has like a noise ceiling, unlike the Borla XR1 I had. IT gets loud without crossing into "Lets wake everyone in a 3 mile radius" territory.

Overall, A+, is exactly what I hoped it would be!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got finished with installing mine last night and had to have a muffler shop get my tips lined up perfectly and weld them as I got tires of fighting with it. Sounds awesome! Great doing business with you Anthony

Reaction score
I have now towed with it a couple of times. If you can get on a level run and have the truck fully shift out, it is not bad at all. Living in Northwest Lower Michigan, I find there are some spots where the truck downshifts a bit on hills and that is when you really notice it. If just the torque converter locks, it is not real loud at around 1800 RPMS. If it downshifts and holds the gear (around 2100 RPM), it is pretty noticeable. So, again, if I towed often, I likely would leave it stock. I don't, so it is still is fine for me. I am running 3.21 gears by the way.

SNBI07

Reaction score
Just had my magnaflow installed over the weekend. Like the low, deep tone, not much bark on startup if it’s already warmed up, WOT is a bit disappointing, sounds good to about 3000 RPMs but the sound seems to level out at that point and not increase in volume with the rpms. Barely notice it while cruising, the rebel tires are just as loud, so very happy there. I’ll keep this system for a while and see how other exhaust/induction mods compliment it.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score

mhb1638

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but I'm having second thoughts on this system as well. I'll probably pull it and go back to the Borla Pro muffler. Just not liking the sound now after 2k miles. Its still a nice system.... If any are interested PM me. I dont have the orginal box so shipping would be difficult. I like in Savannah Ga if that matters.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had my magnaflow installed over the weekend. Like the low, deep tone, not much bark on startup if it’s already warmed up, WOT is a bit disappointing, sounds good to about 3000 RPMs but the sound seems to level out at that point and not increase in volume with the rpms. Barely notice it while cruising, the rebel tires are just as loud, so very happy there. I’ll keep this system for a while and see how other exhaust/induction mods compliment it.

So after about 100 miles, I'm getting better at detecting the sound, it's a bit different than my borla was, and the truck's shift points and rpm ranges do seem different from the 4th gen.
I'm trying to keep in mind that the sound-proofing on the Gen5 rams is a lot better than the Gen4, and the truck's windows have been closed because it's winter!

Pleased to say I'm honestly liking it the more I drive with it.
I can hear it without it being really loud, and I've done a few launches now, it is rewarding. It won't get super loud at wide open throttle.
I'm thinking this is a tradeoff though, If you want more noise, you'll likely have to put up with a touch of drone, and more noise at all times too.
I'm really, really impressed with how well it handles the MDS. If you turned off the eco light and had someone who didn't have a trained ear and knew what to listen for? Or knew WHEN to listen for it? They would probably have a harder time figuring out when it's on or not, just my opinion.

Overall I would say this is exactly what I was looking for.
To my ears the stock exhaust was so quiet it was bothering me. I wanted something that, hypothetically, one day a kid could fall asleep in the back without waking him up every time I had to accelerate. I also needed to know I was driving a truck with a V8!
I think this checks those boxes.

Lastly: If your neighbors ***** about this system, your neighbors are too sensitive!

Users who are viewing this thread