5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

600lb Tongue weight, how much squat?

Zinger

Reaction score
Can anybody give me an idea how much squat I can expect on a coil suspension (Rebel crew, 5'7") with 600 lbs of tongue weight and a load-leveling hitch?

I tow a 27' travel trailer at about 6,000 lbs and I have a Reese load leveling hitch. I'm trying to determine if the self-leveling feature of the air suspension is any real value to me. This is the heaviest load I expect to tow with the truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We just discussed this the other day. You will still have to use the weight distribution hitch to put weight back to the front axle and trailer.
Then the load leveling will level the truck. You set the WDH in jack mode. When you switch out the truck levels.

Plus the air suspension helps with hooking the trailer.

Everyone has a different thought about air suspension. Each right for their situation.

Climate and maintenance seem to be the two biggest deterrents, but even some who have had trouble on the 4th Gen still got it.

600lb of tongue weight isn't much though...as others have much higher and their trucks tow fine...so either choice you make will be the right one, for your situation.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is FCA take on configuring the Ram for proper towing with air suspension.
1. Trailer hitch weight should not be greater than 10% of total trailer weight. 2. If you are going to use WD bars, following is recommend. A. Place truck in jack mode B. Measure height of front wheel well opening from ground to the bottom of the opening.C. Attach trailer until full load is on the truck measure again Subtract C from B, divide by three and add B to the result, difference should be no more than 1/3 of normal ride height. Adjust until within specification.Turn off jack mode, truck will auto level using the air ride system.

Hope this helps.

I have no experience with the air suspension, but looks like you level the truck (in jack mode) the same way you do a regular suspension.

Then the air suspension does it's normal thing,rather than it compensating for the trailer.

Let us know the weights when you get it weighed @Mr. Chow
Here is the process as described by FCA from the other post.

KurtA

Reaction score
Can anybody give me an idea how much squat I can expect on a coil suspension (Rebel crew, 5'7") with 600 lbs of tongue weight and a load-leveling hitch?

I tow a 27' travel trailer at about 6,000 lbs and I have a Reese load leveling hitch. I'm trying to determine if the self-leveling feature of the air suspension is any real value to me. This is the heaviest load I expect to tow with the truck.

I have a 30ft trailer, with about 600# of tongue weight as well... With the coil spring suspension, and my WDH, the truck sits about level... maybe a 1/4" of rake left in the vehicle.

Zinger

Reaction score
I have a 30ft trailer, with about 600# of tongue weight as well... With the coil spring suspension, and my WDH, the truck sits about level... maybe a 1/4" of rake left in the vehicle.

That's perfect, thanks!

KurtA

Reaction score
That's perfect, thanks!
Let me elaborate (and change my answer, because I found my measurements)... Can we agree the stock forward bias of these trucks is about 3-1/2 inches? Loaded with my travel trailer, the rear rides about 1-1/2" lower, and the front is 1/4" higher than unloaded with my Equal-I-Zer hitch installed and about 650 pounds of tongue weight . That would leave me to think that the rake of the truck, loaded, is about 1-1/2 inch or so...

I have added a photo ...

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

runamuck

Reaction score
Let me elaborate (and change my answer, because I found my measurements)... Can we agree the stock forward bias of these trucks is about 3-1/2 inches? Loaded with my travel trailer, the rear rides about 1-1/2" lower, and the front is 1/4" higher than unloaded with my Equal-I-Zer hitch installed and about 650 pounds of tongue weight . That would leave me to think that the rake of the truck, loaded, is about 1-1/2 inch or so...

I have added a photo ...

what wheels do you have. those are nice.

Fred_Cagedog

Reaction score
@KurtA what trailer is that? I am looking at getting a trailer soon and have looked at several GD Imagines. How does it pulm behind that new Ram?

W9MCP

Reaction score
Looks like a 2600RB to me, as my wife and I have looked at buying one the last few years (but have found ways to keep from spending the $ so far). The 2250RK is now catching our eye, TBH, and it’s lighter, so that’s also good.

@KurtA what trailer is that? I am looking at getting a trailer soon and have looked at several GD Imagines. How does it pulm behind that new Ram?

runamuck

Reaction score
Looks like a 2600RB to me, as my wife and I have looked at buying one the last few years (but have found ways to keep from spending the $ so far). The 2250RK is now catching our eye, TBH, and it’s lighter, so that’s also good.

we sure like the Freedom Express 246RKS that we bought. our new Ram 5.7 ccsb Laramie pulls it well.

Fred_Cagedog

Reaction score
I'm looking at potentially getting the 2800BH or something similar. I'd love to get the Imagine 3000QB, but it's almost 36' long. That might be 2500 territory...

runamuck

Reaction score
I'm looking at potentially getting the 2800BH or something similar. I'd love to get the Imagine 3000QB, but it's almost 36' long. That might be 2500 territory...

that sounds like a load. our TT is around 6000# when towing and I have the 33 gal. tank so I dont carry more than a few hundred ponds of stuff in the bed. with that load the truck doesnt seem to be overworked and oil and tranny temps stay low so maybe I could go another 1000# but on highways with only a few hills I get around 9 mpg.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that sounds like a load. our TT is around 6000# when towing and I have the 33 gal. tank so I dont carry more than a few hundred ponds of stuff in the bed. with that load the truck doesnt seem to be overworked and oil and tranny temps stay low so maybe I could go another 1000# but on highways with only a few hills I get around 9 mpg.
@runamuck, Your camper is in the “sweet spot” of what a half ton truck is comfortable towing, even for long distances, frequent trips and in less than ideal weather conditions. Length, weight, payload is all good for a half ton.

Personally I wouldn’t go up to the size/weight @Fred_Cagedog is looking at with a half ton.

KurtA

Reaction score
It's a 2018 2600RB. We took it to Sedona the first weekend with the new truck. The increased wheelbase and horsepower made pulling the trailer very comfortable. .. even on 7% grades. We're happy with it.

runamuck

Reaction score
Stock 20's... (wouldn't have been my choice, by the way).

for some reason mine didnt come with nice looking 6 spoke ones shown in the ads with a laramie with the sport pkg like I have. mine are the 5 spoke polished ones which the dealer says is a step up but I dont like the look of them as much so have been trying to convince myself to spend money and get different wheels.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Mine is a laramie without the off road package, but a 4x4. I put timbrens in the place of the factory bump stops. I had them on my 2014 ram and I really liked the effect it had on the suspension. When I hitched my travel trailer to my 2019 ram it was level without the weight distribution hitch. I believe my tongue weight is about 650 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread