5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 have diesel available?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anymore recent news or rumors on the ED?. Still Patiently waiting, but very hard too at the same time!!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the draw of the ecoDiesel?

I get that fuel economy is better, but is range better? I understand prior ED trucks could only get the 26 gallon tank where the Hemi or Pentastar can get 33 gallons. Assuming EPA ratings, both setups can range 600 to 700 miles, no?

I get that diesels excel in the torque department, but this is a "baby" diesel. Hemi torque is almost as high yet has a much higher tow rating. Where does payload stand?

I get the argument of DIY maintenance to keep costs about par with gassers, but still, more maintenance.

Other little inconveniences like the owners manual suggesting a cool down period before turning the truck off and little niggles like people with short commutes worrying about being properly warmed up, begs the question.

I'm sincerely interested to hear what drew you owners to the ED. Frankly, I like the idea of the ED for fuel economy and would actually like to own one but without the benefit of range, cost, towing, maintenance, or convenience... I'm questioning myself. What am I missing?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m a Marine guy.. and just love diesel. You can’t beat ‘me and they last forever

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
some of us want the fuel economy regardless of any other circumstances .

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PRO: I'm told diesel is not flammable. I do believe cars and fuel cells are safe and may never be a problem, but I like the idea of non-flammable.

CON: I do worry about a significant other or child or friend using the truck and accidentally filling with gas.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driveability is different. The "mighty hemi" makes peak torque at an RPM well above the normal operating range. The Hemi is literally gutless in comparison. You have to get on it hard and downshift to get into the power band.

The ED makes peak torque at 1800 RPM right in the middle of the normal operating range...430 ft-lb. It requires less shifting, revving, stronger part throttle operation for daily driving and MPG that often exceeds EPA ratings. Show me a Hemi that exceeds it's EPA ratings while operating under average driving conditions (not hypermiling). Mine sure doesn't. My average mpg with the Hemi is 16.4. If I had the ED, it would most likely average 24+ mpg with my driving style.

My EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee averaged 30 mpg and had no problem pulling ahead of traffic. It was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Changing the oil was a walk in the park compared to the 5th Gen Hemi Ram. My Jeep had a top access canister filter and the fuel filters are super easy to change.

You really have to drive a diesel for a few days to understand the difference. Driveability really is nice.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for indulging me, ED. Now that I see the words, that makes perfect sense and makes me feel like "duh".

Can I ask you about highway fuel economy? We know the Hemi economy drops like a brick above 70 or 80 mph... but does the ED maintain good economy better at higher speeds?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for indulging me, ED. Now that I see the words, that makes perfect sense and makes me feel like "duh".

Can I ask you about highway fuel economy? We know the Hemi economy drops like a brick above 70 or 80 mph... but does the ED maintain good economy better at higher speeds?
I can't speak for the ED powered Ram but my Grand Cherokee (being more aerodynamic) had a more linear decline in economy as speed increased. Diesels don't lose efficiency at the same rate under load as gas engines. Economy declines with increased engine load but not like gassers which take a noisedive under load or outside of their most efficient RPM range. That is why diesels have a larger payback when used for towing.

Towing my 5k lb. cargo trailer with my diesel Jeep yielded 24 mpg. Towing it with my wife's v8 4.7 liter Jeep yielded 10mpg! My Hemi Ram gets 12 mpg pulling the same trailer. Unloaded my Jeep averaged 28+. My wife's Jeep averages 14. My hemi truck averages 16.4.

Driving fast is also a heavier load. Diesels are well suited for 90mph sustained driving since they are still reasonably efficient whereas a gasser is outside if its efficient range. I'd recommend the 3.21 if you spend a lot of time travelling above 65mph. My Jeep got 34 mpg at 65 and 30mpg at 80....a 12% difference. Mytruck now gets 20 mpg at 65 and 15 at 80...a 25% difference.

I always drove my diesel Jeep more agressively and overall mpg didn't suffer much. I drive the Hemi Ram more conservatively because mpg drops to 12-13 if I drive like I used to with the Jeep. So as an everyday driver, the diesel feels faster under normal circumstances even though it only had 246hp. It just had tons of torque that was delivered with little effort. The Jeep was full time 4WD with Skid Plates, Air Ride, etc. It weighed 5400 lbs. My Ram weighs 6090 lbs. and stays in 2WD most if the time.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't speak for the ED powered Ram but my Grand Cherokee (being more aerodynamic) had a more linear decline in economy as speed increased. Diesels don't lose efficiency at the same rate under load as gas engines. Economy declines with increased engine load but not like gassers which take a noisedive under load or outside of their most efficient RPM range. That is why diesels have a larger payback when used for towing.

Towing my 5k lb. cargo trailer with my diesel Jeep yielded 24 mpg. Towing it with my wife's v8 4.7 liter Jeep yielded 10mpg! My Hemi Ram gets 12 mpg pulling the same trailer. Unloaded my Jeep averaged 28+. My wife's Jeep averages 14. My hemi truck averages 16.4.

Driving fast is also a heavier load. Diesels are well suited for 90mph sustained driving since they are still reasonably efficient whereas a gasser is outside if its efficient range. I'd recommend the 3.21 if you spend a lot of time travelling above 65mph. My Jeep got 34 mpg at 65 and 30mpg at 80....a 12% difference. Mytruck now gets 20 mpg at 65 and 15 at 80...a 25% difference.

I always drove my diesel Jeep more agressively and overall mpg didn't suffer much. I drive the Hemi Ram more conservatively because mpg drops to 12-13 if I drive like I used to with the Jeep. So as an everyday driver, the diesel feels faster under normal circumstances even though it only had 246hp. It just had tons of torque that was delivered with little effort. The Jeep was full time 4WD with Skid Plates, Air Ride, etc. It weighed 5400 lbs. My Ram weighs 6090 lbs. and stays in 2WD most if the time.

Awesome. This changes everything and puts me back in the que for the ecoDiesel.

I don't live on the highway but I make a 2,500 mile trip at least once a year. At these distances, the difference between 65 and 80 mph can reduce the drive time by many hours. If I can do that and maintain "reasonable" economy and range-per-tank, it's a win-win. Call me odd but this excites me!

Are you tuned; GDE EGR delete, for example? Would you recommend getting that?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Those real-world comparisons are really valuable info, thanks for sharing all of that.

I ordered a 2017 Ecodiesel, but walked away from it when they delivered it 11 months after order was placed. Then I started to hear a lot about how hard it is on modern diesels' emission control systems with shorter commutes (my commute is less than 10 miles), and I will do very little towing, so I just about decided that the Ecodiesel was not a good fit for me, I'd order the Hemi eTorque. But now you've got me thinking once again about the Gen-2 Ecodiesel ("ED_G2") in the 2019 1500...

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I share that concern, GR. My commute is also only 10-ish miles... all city.

Not sure where you are, but I'm in Florida. For 9 months of the year, doing this commute in stop-n-go traffic has my gasser vehicles struggling with the heat. I'm wondering if the ED is actually better suited for hot commutes, even short ones.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I would suggest the GDE tune especially for a short commute. My tuned 3.92 gear Ram only gets 24 mpg ish at 80. Diesels do like being run warm for an assortment of reasons.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would suggest the GDE tune especially for a short commute. My tuned 3.92 gear Ram only gets 24 mpg ish at 80. Diesels do like being run warm for an assortment of reasons.

I guess the real question is if tuning will be available. I see the EPA has gone Viking lately... shutting down or fining vendors.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome. This changes everything and puts me back in the que for the ecoDiesel.

I don't live on the highway but I make a 2,500 mile trip at least once a year. At these distances, the difference between 65 and 80 mph can reduce the drive time by many hours. If I can do that and maintain "reasonable" economy and range-per-tank, it's a win-win. Call me odd but this excites me!

Are you tuned; GDE EGR delete, for example? Would you recommend getting that?
I was tuned with a piggyback tuner for a while but took it off. No other mods. The tune made a difference for sure. It was pretty agressive for a 5400 lb vehicle. 0-60 was 6.5 seconds and most of that was from being quick down low. I got concerned with warranty coverage and decided I'd rather be on the safe side since I have to trade every five years.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The pain with diesels and short commutes is with the Diesel Participate Filter (DPF...black smoke catcher). It will reach 75% capacity and try to do a Regen Cycle every 100 to 250 miles. It Regens only during certain conditions. The Jeep GC EcoD had to be at temperature and above 50 mph to before the process will start. It takes about 10 minutes to complete. Once started it will continue until done unless RPMs drop lower than 1000 for 15-20 seconds. I learned I could hold my RPMs at 1500 at red lights and it would keep regening. Someone who only commutes may never let the Regen start and if it does, it may not finish. I used an ODB2 based display that showed my EGT at 3 places in the exhaust system. If I saw the Temp at the DPF running 1100°F, I made an effort to keep it happy until it finished. That was easy...I just drove around not letting it idle until my DOF temp dropped towards normal. Yes, it was a small pain but that's the dumb world we live in today.

If you make a highway trip that's 15 miles once every 2 weeks, it should Regen completely.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
That said all that is only because you have an interest in this. For most people it just works seamlessly in the back ground and they are unaware when its going through a regen. GDE does an actual ECM tune which gives them a lot more latitude to do things in the right way as opposed to a piggy back tune that just manipulates or fools some parameters. Many don't know they were diesel engine management engineers for the industry back before Chrysler went through its downsizing. Most quickly learn that GDE's off road tune turns off the EGR so the engine is not recirculating its own waste but few know how much better their regen strategy is and that it does not regen nearly as often. Naturally headline features are more power fuel economy improvements shutting off EGR etc.

Users who are viewing this thread