5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Drove 3.6L Big Horn

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can see my cumulative mpg in my signature.

We got back last night from a ~1000 mile road trip (DC area>Buffalo area>Cleveland area>DC area).

Probably 85-90% highway holding speeds of 60-75 mph with about 2/3 of the trip going through hilly or mountainous terrain, and I used ACC for all highway driving. Total passenger and cargo weight was probably somewhere in the vicinity of 600-700 lbs.

The highest the average mpg in the instrument cluster read during the trip was 21.8 mpg, though I'd say it spent most of the time between 20.5 and 21.5. I filled up three times on the trip, once (a partial fill-up) right before we left, the 2nd time leaving the Buffalo area, and the last time 2/3 of the way back from Cleveland.

Fuelly pegged that 2nd tank at 19.88mpg.

Not gonna lie, not impressed with the highway mpg (or the overall mpg). Sure, my Longhorn isn't far off the heaviest you can get, and I had 600-700 lbs of weight in the truck, and I was driving through hills and mountains, but I was hoping for substantially higher than 20 mpg with an extended stretch of highway cruising, especially in the flat stretches of NY and OH.
Wow that is disappointing. My 4th gen 3.6 QC 4x2 3.55 gets 25-27 on the highway. Never lower than 25 (lie o meter) on pure highway runs at 65-75mph. Cruise control and a/c on all the time (we’re snowbirds). I drive those Virginia and West Virginia mountains too.

My best tank was 28.4, hand calculated, with about 850lbs of passengers and cargo.

I average 18-19 around town unless I’m doing a lot of short trips, then 17-18.

I really expected that with the upgraded Pentastar engine and eTorque your numbers would be higher. You do have a decked out CC 4x4 but still.

Predfan

Reaction score
with my lariat 4x4 2.7L with 3.7 gears and offroad package im seeing 18 mpg 100% city havent done a hwy test yet but on a 15 mile hwy trip i was getting 26 mpg

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
with my lariat 4x4 2.7L with 3.7 gears and offroad package im seeing 18 mpg 100% city havent done a hwy test yet but on a 15 mile hwy trip i was getting 26 mpg
I'd imagine if my truck was ~500 lbs lighter like the Ford, I'd probably get similar mpg to yours.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I test drove the V6 yesterday and I was pretty darn impressed with the eTorque on that vehicle. I barely noticed it.
I ride in a 2018 F150 about every day for lunch and you notice the start/stop of that thing hard. I wanted to avoid that like the plague and it seems the V6 might be a good option as I'm not going to be doing a lot of work in the vehicle

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove the V6 yesterday and I was pretty darn impressed with the eTorque on that vehicle. I barely noticed it.
I ride in a 2018 F150 about every day for lunch and you notice the start/stop of that thing hard. I wanted to avoid that like the plague and it seems the V6 might be a good option as I'm not going to be doing a lot of work in the vehicle

Crew cab or Quad cab?
5'7" bed or 6'4" bed?
4x4 or 4x2?
What was the rear-end ratio?
Heavily optioned or fewer options?

All of those things make a big difference to the curb weight, and off-the-line performance, of the vehicle you drove.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Crew cab or Quad cab?
5'7" bed or 6'4" bed?
4x4 or 4x2?
What was the rear-end ratio?
Heavily optioned or fewer options?

All of those things make a big difference to the curb weight, and off-the-line performance, of the vehicle you drove.

5.7 bed + Crew Cab + 4x2 I believe
It was pretty decked out, almost 48K MSRP
I do not know the ratio.

Honestly, it felt a little more responsive than the V8, but of course you didn't have that power when you needed it, but off the line and such it wasn't bad. Mind you that was with 4 people in the vehicle as well. At least 700ish pounds between the 4 of us.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
The window sticker on my Ram shows a $95 upcharge for 3.55 on my v6. Well worth it if you do tow.

Lowly Jimson

Reaction score
So I've been waiting since January to take a 2019 on a test drive. I live in Alberta and the pickings are slim for the V6 engine on RAMs site there's only 4 V6 in the province and they're fairly low options. I treated myself to a little vacation in the mountains to finally see one in person. I've always had my heart set on a higher trim 1500 like the longhorn. Recently I've had a change of heart and have been finding it difficult to justify paying an extra 10 grand over a well equipped bighorn for some leather and adaptive cruise I can only use in the 5 summer months a year we have. this leads me into sitting in and test driving the V6 bighorn for the first time. fairly low optioned only had the lvl2 group and bucket seats with 3.55 gears. I really want the pano roof and LED headlights. I'm coming from a 2010 reg cab long box 1500 as base as you can get RAM with the 5.7 L. The first thing I can say is holy cow I am impressed with the interior the cloth was amazing with the heated seats along with the rubber heated steering wheel. then there was the cloth accents on the doors and fancy trim on the dash and my god going from a digital clock to the 8.4 screen I was blown away. I fell in love it's just leaps and bounds ahead of my 2010 ram.

My dealer was excited to drive with me as this was the first time he was able to ride in the new v6 as well. we started off leaving the lot waiting @ the stop sign I remember to look @ the RPMs which read 0 showing the stop start is working and i punch the gas. I was shocked at there being no shudder or lag. also the V6 loves to Rev and was very fun coming off the line not as deep a growl as my Hemi not as quick but it was still a fun get up and go. then there was the ride quality and how smooth it was. Reading reviews just doesnt do it any justice. My 2010 feels ancient with how it bumps around and with how much outside noise you get with it. The best part was getting onto the off ramp to merge onto the 110km/hr hwy. i punched it and it had absolutely 0 issues getting up to speed and merging honestly it was not anemic at all and i doubt it would have any trouble whatsoever making passes on the HWY. I dont know if the salesman was just trying to pump it up for a sale but he also said compared to the 2018 V6 this years does feel like it has more punch to it. my only regret on the short drive I had was I didn't reset the L/100km reading. which was showing 14L/100km when I sat in the truck @ 24km on the odometer so it was probably a lot of idling. I really wanna see more real world economy ratings on this truck.

So all said and done I think I've fallen in love with the 2019 V6 bighorn. that being said I still want to test drive a 2018 2.7L ecoboost just to see what ford has to offer as you can get a lariat trim for the same price as the big horn right now.
I have a new 2019 V6 Lone Star, Crew Cab, 4x4 and I have put 6,000 miles on it in the first 2 months (vacation). I am getting 21+ mpg on the highway and 21- mpg around town (combined). It's rated at 24 highway but I have only seen it with a tailwind or down hill and I am a bit disappointed. A very slight up hill in the road will trigger a downshift. I am reserving final judgment on the mpg. Everything else in your report is spot on: nice truck in and out.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A very slight up hill in the road will trigger a downshift.
Do you have the 3.21 rear end? This is one of the reasons I keep recommending the 3.55 if you go with the v6. I know I sound like a broken record on this point, just trying to help those that may be in the market for a v6 truck.

Lowly Jimson

Reaction score
Do you have the 3.21 rear end? This is one of the reasons I keep recommending the 3.55 if you go with the v6. I know I sound like a broken record on this point, just trying to help those that may be in the market for a v6 truck.
Yeah, I have the 3.21. Might be costing me a couple of mpg?

Clean19

Reaction score
When I bought this truck, I was scared to death of getting 14 mpg w/ the HEMI. I'm driving ~25,000 miles per year. I thought if I could get a v-6 and get 20mpg or ~ 6mpg better, It would be well worth it for 25,000 / year over the next 3 years. I just dont understand how you can be upset with 21+ mpg in a truck this size. The V6 truthfully is under powered for this size truck. The only other engine in the market you're going to get this type of mpg in, is the 2.7 F-150, and honestly it's not as dependable as the Pentastar. I dont love this engine, and it's constantly changing gears at 70 mph, but come on man! 21 mpg+ is pretty good when I see Larama's getting 14mpg and Rebels getting 11... it's all perspective really.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I bought this truck, I was scared to death of getting 14 mpg w/ the HEMI. I'm driving ~25,000 miles per year. I thought if I could get a v-6 and get 20mpg or ~ 6mpg better, It would be well worth it for 25,000 / year over the next 3 years. I just dont understand how you can be upset with 21+ mpg in a truck this size. The V6 truthfully is under powered for this size truck. The only other engine in the market you're going to get this type of mpg in, is the 2.7 F-150, and honestly it's not as dependable as the Pentastar. I dont love this engine, and it's constantly changing gears at 70 mph, but come on man! 21 mpg+ is pretty good when I see Larama's getting 14mpg and Rebels getting 11... it's all perspective really.

On the one hand you say the pentastar is under powered, and then say 21 mpg+ is pretty good. But on a recent trip, my computer showed 24 mpg with a Hemi. My truck is not as heavy as some, I specifically refused to order off road group (heavy skid plates!) and air susp and sunroof etc because those add to the weight. So I agree, it's about perspective and making choices and tradeoffs.

But having owned that Pentastar in a lighter Jeep GC, you would not ever get me back in one of them. My advice to anyone getting a new Ram, unless you're driving is all city, the v6 is not worth it. On the highway, a hemi can easily break into the lower 20's if driven carefully, and at that point the v6 struggles just to maintain speed.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the 3.21. Might be costing me a couple of mpg?
Yeh, the downshifting on the highway with the 3.21 is probably costing some mpg. It doesn’t help that the cruise control is so slow to respond to changes in speed. It seems to not begin to add much throttle until the speed has dropped more than 1 mph from the set point, then by the time it really adds throttle you’re down 2-3 mph and needs to downshift and accelerate. I kinda think the cruise control is calibrated for the hemi and not specifically for the v6.

Clean19

Reaction score
On the one hand you say the pentastar is under powered, and then say 21 mpg+ is pretty good. But on a recent trip, my computer showed 24 mpg with a Hemi. My truck is not as heavy as some, I specifically refused to order off road group (heavy skid plates!) and air susp and sunroof etc because those add to the weight. So I agree, it's about perspective and making choices and tradeoffs.

But having owned that Pentastar in a lighter Jeep GC, you would not ever get me back in one of them. My advice to anyone getting a new Ram, unless you're driving is all city, the v6 is not worth it. On the highway, a hemi can easily break into the lower 20's if driven carefully, and at that point the v6 struggles just to maintain speed.
well.. when you consider all of the other platforms...It is under powered! ha
and 21 mpg is good in comparison to the F150's 3.5 & 5.0, RAM 5.7, and anything Toyota produces. The 5.3 Ecotech COULD get 21 mpg, but the second you introduce any city driving you're right back to mid teens ( my father has had 3 GMC Sierras the last 6 years ). I think ANY engine today could produce 20mpg if you absolutely babied it, and never got off the highway. I get 21+ out of mine and its 80/20 M-f, and 20/80 Sat & Sun. Would LOVE more power, but if you calculate cost per mile, it's costing me $4,000 / year to drive a hemi with gas prices at 2.35 / gal ( 15 mpg ) vs. $2,700 in the v6 @ 21+ mpg. Over life of the truck, that's ~ $4,000!!!

silver billet

Reaction score
well.. when you consider all of the other platforms...It is under powered! ha
and 21 mpg is good in comparison to the F150's 3.5 & 5.0, RAM 5.7, and anything Toyota produces. The 5.3 Ecotech COULD get 21 mpg, but the second you introduce any city driving you're right back to mid teens ( my father has had 3 GMC Sierras the last 6 years ). I think ANY engine today could produce 20mpg if you absolutely babied it, and never got off the highway. I get 21+ out of mine and its 80/20 M-f, and 20/80 Sat & Sun. Would LOVE more power, but if you calculate cost per mile, it's costing me $4,000 / year to drive a hemi with gas prices at 2.35 / gal ( 15 mpg ) vs. $2,700 in the v6 @ 21+ mpg. Over life of the truck, that's ~ $4,000!!!

I do a lot of highway driving, I'll probably do 4000-5000 worth of gas this year. But the crazy thing is that, on the highway, I'm only doing slightly worse than my previous Jeep GC with the 3.6 v6. Maybe 1 or 2 mpg's worse, in a heavier truck (put also bigger, roomier, far more capable, and far more powerful when I need it to be). So if I have to spend an extra $500 this year vs last year in my Jeep, I won't complain.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, with our two 4th gen V-6 Rams we had different axle ratios, 3.21 and 3.55. (both crew cab 4x4 one model year apart) The 3.21 always won in highway mileage by a few mpg, something like 25 mpg vs 23 mpg for rough averages. I don’t see how you could get better mpg from the 3.55 for general use. If your 3.21 downshifts it just puts you closer to where you’d be in top gear with the 3.55 anyways.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, with our two 4th gen V-6 Rams we had different axle ratios, 3.21 and 3.55. (both crew cab 4x4 one model year apart) The 3.21 always won in highway mileage by a few mpg, something like 25 mpg vs 23 mpg for rough averages. I don’t see how you could get better mpg from the 3.55 for general use. If your 3.21 downshifts it just puts you closer to where you’d be in top gear with the 3.55 anyways.
My old v6 3.55 could put down some great mileage. Here’s an example, 1000 mile trip over a few days...28.3. I miss that mileage with my new hemi.

Attachments

• 5EE6B27A-F7F0-47CB-B709-AB8AD7A5F112.jpeg
    5EE6B27A-F7F0-47CB-B709-AB8AD7A5F112.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 21

csulto

Reaction score
I am still trying to pickup either a (Crew) Rebel or Laramie, but I am also concerned about fuel. My current (old) V6 Chevy gets 21.5 week and week out on a 110 mile daily round trip in light to moderate traffic coming in from the outskirts of LA. I don't want to go any lower for a new truck.
Reading all the reviews and comments around the web, to me, it's clear that the V6 is good for a couple to a few MPG over the HEMI which is all I need to know. I don't tow, and at $4.00+ per gallon (even at Costco), every little bit will have a big impact in the long run.
I agree, that there are trade-offs, and in engineering, that is always the case. These trucks are all big and heavy and is amazing that the mileage is as good as it is. Although the V6 falls short of expectations in economy, it still is less thirsty.

On a side note, I reconsidered the Silverado/Sierra, Tundra, and even looked at the Fords this last weekend at the OC auto show, but walking back and forth several times and comparing them to the Rams, there was no comparison for build materials and fit and finish. I am surprised that the inside of the Raptor was only $5 better in materials than the GMs. I don't know if the Fiat influence is responsible or not for the style and materials but it is clearly better in the Rams.

silver billet

Reaction score
I am still trying to pickup either a (Crew) Rebel or Laramie, but I am also concerned about fuel. My current (old) V6 Chevy gets 21.5 week and week out on a 110 mile daily round trip in light to moderate traffic coming in from the outskirts of LA. I don't want to go any lower for a new truck.
Reading all the reviews and comments around the web, to me, it's clear that the V6 is good for a couple to a few MPG over the HEMI which is all I need to know. I don't tow, and at $4.00+ per gallon (even at Costco), every little bit will have a big impact in the long run.
I agree, that there are trade-offs, and in engineering, that is always the case. These trucks are all big and heavy and is amazing that the mileage is as good as it is. Although the V6 falls short of expectations in economy, it still is less thirsty.

On a side note, I reconsidered the Silverado/Sierra, Tundra, and even looked at the Fords this last weekend at the OC auto show, but walking back and forth several times and comparing them to the Rams, there was no comparison for build materials and fit and finish. I am surprised that the inside of the Raptor was only $5 better in materials than the GMs. I don't know if the Fiat influence is responsible or not for the style and materials but it is clearly better in the Rams.

FCA has made other really good interiors, the Jeep GC already in 2011 had an amazing interior.

howie12

Reaction score
In October I did a deal to trade my 2014 Longhorn 4x4 Ecodiesel 6'4" regular box 3.55 for a 2020 Longhorn Pentastar 4x4 5'7 rambox 3.55. It is a special order and has now shipped. The Ecodiesel was a great ride but had numerous trips to the dealer but never left me stranded and it averaged 23-24 in the winter and 27-29 in the summer. My drives are usually at 55 or so and usually a 70 mile round trip. I a looking forward to the boring reliability of the PEntastar and the lower cost of gas vs diesel as well as avoiding the slimy smelly diesel pumps. If I can get 19-20 winter and 21-22 summer given the lower price of gas vs diesel and the lower oil change cost as well as the increased reliability I wil be pleased as punch. The new truck is now in the shipment phase so I hope to get it in the next week or two .

After a bit of use I will post up my mileage results in the appropriate place on this forum. I do find the Pentastar a delightful engine in my Pacifica and do like driving the Ecodiesel in my 2014 Longhorn but the new PEntastar has about 50% more hp than the Ecodiesel and with the 8 spd ZF transmission it shifts very nicely so I think it wil be fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread