5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check all that apply to your Trucks Build Sheet

• eTorque

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • AGM Battery

Votes: 59 23.6%
  • Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 132 52.8%
  • non eTorque

Votes: 102 40.8%

• Total voters

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went back one page in this thread and found a battery pic that was marked 15/10/18 in a truck built 10/18 which means they use military date coding on these batteries. My battery is marked 1/10/21, truck built 10/21 and getting replaced this October with a 7yr H8. The hassle of being stuck isn’t worth the little money it costs for an early replacement.
What battery is a 7yr H8?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Joined this club at the end of March, though not very disappointed I wasn’t expecting the battery to last given all these posts. I got just over 54,000 miles out of the oem battery over 2 & 1/2 years so can’t really complain I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

It threw three associates codes about low voltage on the computers, I cleared them after installing a new battery and no issues since fingers crossed🤞🏻
you did pretty good, mine only lasted 1 1/2 years

Mikgyver

Reaction score
I am on my 4th battery now on my 2021 etorque. My first one died at 19000 miles, second at 24000, and now at 34000. The dealer tells me its a bad battery and there is nothing wrong with the charging system or the 48v battery. Batteries dont just die every 6 ish months. Im wondering if I have a lemon. Anyone else have issues like this?

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

RamRam6.4

Reaction score
Yup.. I've joined the club with only 302 miles on my new 2020 2500 Laramie. Dead battery (3 volts), jumped, ran with charging voltage showing at 14.5 - 15.0 volts while running for 45 minutes. Returned home and went to back into my driveway, switched it to reverse, and no cameras... the option didn't even show up on my 12" UConnect.

Measured battery voltage once off and showed 11.8 volts.

Left everything overnight. Today, back to 3 volts. Into the shop tomorrow.
I have a similar story, with a 2022 Ram 6.4L. First time this happened, had only ~4k miles on the odometer. Seond time was around 6k miles. And currently truck has been at the dealer for a week with 11K miles and the failure will not repeat. They cannot figure it out and neither can I.

Please any fixes you are aware of. Thank you!

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Mine Tradesman 2wd did this after sitting a few days. Lead acid battery. Crazy thing is that is that I'd hear things clicking and moving behind the dash, and the "Serv 4wd" light flashes, and I have no 4wd...

2021workram

Reaction score
I've got a 2021 Ram 1500 with about 46k on it. Total battery drain has happened twice now. It wouldn't start either time with a jump pack. The latest time (this morning) I was able to start it with the jump pack and a battery charger with a boost feature together. The last time I had to leave it on the charger for a few hours. I drove it to work and it was able to restart fine after 20 minutes of driving. The check engine light didn't turn off by itself yet this time.

One thing I noticed this time was when I shut the truck off yesterday it went into accessory mode. I have no idea how that happened except I think.......I was putting into park while I opening the door and then hit the ignition power off switch kind of all at once. I remember seeing that the dash said "accessory mode" or something like that and it making a chime sound that wasn't normal. I assumed it would turn accessory mode off itself off after a few minutes but obviously it didn't.

mynameisante

Reaction score
Very informative thread. But one thing I couldn't conclude, since most posts come out to be simply swapping in a new battery, is which battery(ies) are the best purchase? Even if it is "overkill" to have such a powerful battery, which one will do the job and last longest? Supposedly lol

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very informative thread. But one thing I couldn't conclude, since most posts come out to be simply swapping in a new battery, is which battery(ies) are the best purchase? Even if it is "overkill" to have such a powerful battery, which one will do the job and last longest? Supposedly lol
Long version
Short version
AGM H8 - remove clip on battery tray (very easy to do)

mynameisante

Reaction score
Long version
Short version
AGM H8 - remove clip on battery tray (very easy to do)
After reading that entire thread, all I got out of it is that an AGM H8 is the way to go.

Buuuttt... when I search for AGM H8, I get dozens of different battery brands that pop up. That is so damn confusing. Just looking for a simple "Interstate" or "EverStart" or whatever is out there that are the top dogs. I read somewhere that those redtop Optimas are the best?

6of36

Reaction score
After reading that entire thread, all I got out of it is that an AGM H8 is the way to go.

Buuuttt... when I search for AGM H8, I get dozens of different battery brands that pop up. That is so damn confusing. Just looking for a simple "Interstate" or "EverStart" or whatever is out there that are the top dogs. I read somewhere that those redtop Optimas are the best?
Never had one but I read the Optimas have gone down in quality. Just what I read.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I did the swap in my '19, I got the battery at Costco. I think they only had the Interstate H7, so that's what I got.

It was still working fine in my '19 when I traded it in, but that was only 5K miles later.

IIRC, the H7 is the actual spec battery. The H8 is the "overkill" battery.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I did the swap in my '19, I got the battery at Costco. I think they only had the Interstate H7, so that's what I got.

It was still working fine in my '19 when I traded it in, but that was only 5K miles later.

IIRC, the H7 is the actual spec battery. The H8 is the "overkill" battery.
That's the battery I have. Interstate lead acid H7. Been about a year with no issues.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's more important, AGM or CCA??

I was at Walmart yesterday. They had an EverStart Maxx Platinum H7 AGM (800 CCA) and a EverStart Maxx 94 (900 CCA).

Jako

Reaction score
What's more important, AGM or CCA??

I was at Walmart yesterday. They had an EverStart Maxx Platinum H7 AGM (800 CCA) and a EverStart Maxx 94 (900 CCA).
Original OEM Mopar H7 is 750 CCA. I have gone through 4 winters with no issues starting in cold weather. The CCA may be more important in extreme cold weather.

No fast answer to explain AGM:

AGM from my experience costs more and has a longer warranty. I would take into consideration the discharge rate if you do not use the vehicle frequently and do not use a "battery maintainer". All new vehicles have some draw.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Original OEM Mopar H7 is 750 CCA. I have gone through 4 winters with no issues starting in cold weather. The CCA may be more important in extreme cold weather.

No fast answer to explain AGM:

AGM from my experience costs more and has a longer warranty. I would take into consideration the discharge rate if you do not use the vehicle frequently and do not use a "battery maintainer". All new vehicles have some draw.
Yeah ... AGM is $180 with a 4yr warranty. The 94 is $160 with a 3yr warranty.

I only use my truck on the weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread