5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'21 RAM 1500 eTorque Recall...."Good News"

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like they disconnected the battery when preforming the recall which is likely why you saw better (fake) MPGs.
No need, they rebooted the PCM. It likely cleared the KAM info as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No need, they rebooted the PCM. It likely cleared the KAM info as well.
Not sure what KAM stands for.
I was just referring to putting the truck back into learning mode for like the transmission and stuff, going to get differnet MPG until the truck settles back in. The recall did change the tune itself so it's normal to see weird numbers while your truck adjusts back to normal.

2001gw

Reaction score
I had mine done 5/5, and as of this morning, the fuel usage has settled back down to 18-19mpg indicated which is what it has always indicated. After the update, I did see the 21mpg, but it didn't last more than a couple tanks.

I will say this; after the flash, I don't hear any pinging at WOT. Before the flash it sounded like an old Econoline E-150 with a worn out 351W.

Gee...I hope that's not what is really happening! o_O This morning I zeroed out the MPG and did city driving around town. Probably drove around 60 miles today. I took this photo when I pulled back in my driveway. If it changes back to 18-19 MPG in a couple of weeks I'll be disappointed. I'll let you all know if it does.

MPG.jpg

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what KAM stands for.
I was just referring to putting the truck back into learning mode for like the transmission and stuff, going to get differnet MPG until the truck settles back in. The recall did change the tune itself so it's normal to see weird numbers while your truck adjusts back to normal.
KAM - keep alive memory. (Least that's what Ford calls it).
That is what stores your driving style algorithms.

jessed1

Reaction score
Sounds like they disconnected the battery when preforming the recall which is likely why you saw better (fake) MPGs.
The article linked under the news section lists: PCM calibration software. This makes me wonder if certain driving styles exasperated this issue. My MPG didn't change after, but I also never had an issue with stalling.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The article linked under the news section lists: PCM calibration software. This makes me wonder if certain driving styles exasperated this issue. My MPG didn't change after, but I also never had an issue with stalling.
When they issue a recall, they have a range of build dates that have reported faults, then extend both ways in case there are some not reported yet, just outside the reported dates. It would be similar to when my 20 had a recall for axles. They had a run of improperly tempered ones. Mine wasn't effected, but was near the date of bad ones.

BowDown

Reaction score
Gee...I hope that's not what is really happening! o_O This morning I zeroed out the MPG and did city driving around town. Probably drove around 60 miles today. I took this photo when I pulled back in my driveway. If it changes back to 18-19 MPG in a couple of weeks I'll be disappointed. I'll let you all know if it does.

View attachment 159294

What were the outside air temps then vs now?

2001gw

Reaction score

Well....disappointment has set in. My average MPG has fallen back down to around 18 MPG. It was nice to dream. My neighbor has a Ford with the EcoBoost V6. He says his average around town is 21 to 22.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well....disappointment has set in. My average MPG has fallen back down to around 18 MPG. It was nice to dream. My neighbor has a Ford with the EcoBoost V6. He says his average around town is 21 to 22.
If you keep in at 55 and under you can achieve that with out a lot of city driving.

2001gw

Reaction score
If you keep in at 55 and under you can achieve that with out a lot of city driving.
Not in my truck. On Memorial Day we did a 120 mile round trip mostly on 50 to 60 mph roads and averaged 19.1 MPG.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
He lies. My brother had a Ford ecoboost. He was lucky to get that highway. The only time the ecoboost was better, was towing. They lose 1 mpg, while Rams lose 7-8 mpg.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
He lies. My brother had a Ford ecoboost. He was lucky to get that highway. The only time the ecoboost was better, was towing. They lose 1 mpg, while Rams lose 7-8 mpg.

If he has the 2.7, maybe. And that's a big maybe. My 3.5 got 17 average around town, and would get into the low 20's on long highway trips not towing. Towing, it was 10-12 consistently.

6of36

Reaction score
If he has the 2.7, maybe. And that's a big maybe. My 3.5 got 17 average around town, and would get into the low 20's on long highway trips not towing. Towing, it was 10-12 consistently.
It could depend what you tow. Do you tow a big trailer? He only tows a 16' aluminum flat utility trailer, nothing heavy. It didn't drop much with his Ford. But tow a 250 lb empty trailer with a Ram, and mileage cuts in half.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
It could depend what you tow. Do you tow a big trailer? He only tows a 16' aluminum flat utility trailer, nothing heavy. It didn't drop much with his Ford. But tow a 250 lb empty trailer with a Ram, and mileage cuts in half.

Oh come on. I pull a 8' utility trailer around town with 500' of cargo and my mileage drops 1-1.5 MPG.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score

I tow a ~21' car trailer with my Jeep on it to various off road sites around the Southeast and Midwest. Trailer is 1200lbs empty and the Jeep with all my crap in & on it is probably 3500lbs. In 2018 we made a bucket list trip to Moab. NC to UT and back netted 10mpg average for 4,000 miles with my 3.5/10 speed combo over a trip that took two weeks. Everything from the Appalachian mountains, to the flat Midwest, to the Colorado Rockies. We saw all 4 seasons on that trip too. It was 95 when we left NC, and 21 and snowing in Denver on the trip home.

6of36

Reaction score
Oh come on. I pull a 8' utility trailer around town with 500' of cargo and my mileage drops 1-1.5 MPG.
If I haul my 9 ft utility trailer empty, mileage drops at least 7 on a good day.

6of36

Reaction score
Lol. Better check the wheel bearings on your trailer.
It's the easiest rolling trailer I have ever seen. I can roll it all the way across the yard by hand. It's wind resistance. I bet if I attached a flag to the back bumper and drove around it would lose 3 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread