5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a Limited

TripleB

Reaction score
Over the years when i purchase a Ram i typically have to compromise on which Ram i get because of cost.

I’m on my third Ram for in 4 years 6 in 12 years. Crazy!

Three Rams ago I had a 2020 bighorn with a 6 inch lift and it was a super cool looking truck but it gets pretty wet where I live and the roads kind of flood on heavy rain days. Some times the water would go on the windshield so heavy that I’d have to stop, one day I just had enough of that so I traded it for a 2022 Big Horn.

Great truck but a few days ago I backed into somebody that parked up behind me that I didn’t see until it was too late.

Repair estimate was $3500. just to paint and install a new bumper and repaint the tailgate.
But I got that idea in my head f-ck it I wanna get a Limited not spend more money on the Bighorn.

I don’t do things like planing every detail then order a truck. I just go to the lot and see if I see one I like that has mostly what I want.
I found one. I don’t think anyone ever really gets over when they get a good deal on a truck. They are still paying too much but I feel like I got lucky. My big horn I bought for 54k about a year ago. Yesterday the ram dealer gave me 54k for trade in. Kelly BB said my Bighorn was worth 41k on trade in.

My sales man and finance lady both said it was a negative gain sale. But the sales manger really wanted to sell it.

Super happy.

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpeg
    IMG_3483.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 111
U

User_3336

Nice! I'm sure that dealer is making money on both trucks, but that seems like a crazy trade-in amount lol. Good for you!
I agree. The "crazy trade-in" values have trended downwards, wayyyyyyy down from end of 21 and first of 22 when they were still high.

Carvana and Vroom are always sending me trends of a previous vehicle I valued with them. Its a downward curve.

Unless the vehicle is in VERY HIGH DEMAND, the days of getting what you paid for a vehicle are over with, period. (and I can't see a used Big Horn of HIGH VALUE - - when you can get $11000 off one any day of the week)

In the OP's case, I have to wonder why a dealer would want to give such a high trade-in value for a used vehicle (RAM), just to turn around to sell it for a profit (have to mark it up), when you could have probably purchased a new one (with rebates and dealer discounts) for the SAME amount. Unless that dealer was desperate for a sale and willing to be in the red (this does happen, but not often), I can't see the reality of it. I'd love to see that bill of sale (but no one ever posts those after claiming their "big deal".)

Later addition....
I went back and read this again. It still does not make sense $$ wise. OP did not say what discount he got on the new truck (Limited) ((if any)).
Again, there is no logical sense of why a dealer would pay over $10K over current market value on a 22 Big Horn. the only reasonable scenario of this would be if the dealer was giving a ZERO discount on the Limited, and making up for it in the over allowance of the trade (dealers have been known to do this). Its all about rearranging numbers on paper (not to reflect the actual values).
The dealer most certainly could NOT sell a 22 Big Horn for $54K, No way on this earth. Even if they took it to auction, they'd be getting LESS than market value, because the auctioneer would have to make a profit there.
I think there is a part of the equation missing here. Some part of the deal the OP missed or failed to include in the original message. This is just NOT a typical, normal trade/sell situation. they numbers are too out of reality.
Again, its a rare transaction, possible perhaps, (I am not sure why a dealer would have, unless he was desperate for a sale - - there are loss leaders in this industry) but I won't believe this until I see the bill of sale. Sorry, OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

TripleB

Reaction score
I agree. The "crazy trade-in" values have trended downwards, wayyyyyyy down from end of 21 and first of 22 when they were still high.

Carvana and Vroom are always sending me trends of a previous vehicle I valued with them. Its a downward curve.

Unless the vehicle is in VERY HIGH DEMAND, the days of getting what you paid for a vehicle are over with, period. (and I can't see a used Big Horn of HIGH VALUE - - when you can get $11000 off one any day of the week)

In the OP's case, I have to wonder why a dealer would want to give such a high trade-in value for a used vehicle (RAM), just to turn around to sell it for a profit (have to mark it up), when you could have probably purchased a new one (with rebates and dealer discounts) for the SAME amount. Unless that dealer was desperate for a sale and willing to be in the red (this does happen, but not often), I can't see the reality of it. I'd love to see that bill of sale (but no one ever posts those after claiming their "big deal".)

TripleB

Reaction score
I didn’t say I got a great deal. I said I got lucky on the trade in. Where i live they treat customers like a captured audience. The do not come off msrp that much.

Whenever I’ve looked around here, I’ve always had to shop somewhere else my friends and neighbors are the same.

I come on here to share in love Ram trucks. Not to insinuate anyone’s a lying or ********ting.

I will be happy to post a picture of the Billis sale when I get home.
I really didn’t want all the bells and whistles but I really like the silver.

They had a charcoal gray Limited for $2k more that had the camera in the rearview mirror and lane departure and adaptive cruise control that i like. So at the last minute I said to myself I really dig those features and I like charcoal gray ok. But as I was walking away to tell them I was gonna change i took one last look at the silver one once again. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
U

User_3336

I didn’t say I got a great deal. I said I got lucky on the trade in. Where i live they treat customers like a captured audience. The do not come off msrp that much.

Whenever I’ve looked around here, I’ve always had to shop somewhere else my friends and neighbors are the same.

I come on here to share in love Ram trucks. Not to insinuate anyone’s a lying ********ting.

I will be happy to post a picture of the Billis sale when I get home

It was just spotted that your deal was unusual based off the current market. No one certainly accused anyone of lying.
But it would be interesting to see how your deal was structured. Dealers do crazy deals sometimes. There's always an explanation for everything.

U

User_3336

I got my 23 Laramie for about 52,975 (a small amount knocked off at the end of negotiations). Dealer definitely had to been over allowing on your 22 Big Horn @ $ 54,000.

So, that was a dealer discount of $6745 and a RAM rebate of $6635 (10% off last month)

up.jpg

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I come on here to share in love Ram trucks. Not to insinuate anyone’s a lying or ********ting.

I will be happy to post a picture of the Billis sale when I get home.
I really didn’t want all the bells and whistles but I really like the silver.

They had a charcoal gray Limited for $2k more that had the camera in the rearview mirror and lane departure and adaptive cruise control that i like. So at the last minute I said to myself I really dig those features and I like charcoal gray ok. But as I was walking away to tell them I was gonna change i took one last look at the silver one once again. 😊

EEEF!! These trucks are selling for 78K now?
Carvana keeps emailing me offering me 48K for my 20 limited. Eff that, keeping my truck before I pay what dealers are asking now

TripleB

Reaction score
EEEF!! These trucks are selling for 78K now?
Carvana keeps emailing me offering me 48K for my 20 limited. Eff that, keeping my truck before I pay what dealers are asking now
Mine was $77k. They had ones that were $88k

TripleB

Reaction score
I got my 23 Laramie for about 52,975 (a small amount knocked off at the end of negotiations). Dealer definitely had to been over allowing on your 22 Big Horn @ $ 54,000.

So, that was a dealer discount of $6745 and a RAM rebate of $6635 (10% off last month)

View attachment 160159
I got no Ram rebate. When I looked thery were only four Big Horn.

U

User_3336

I got no Ram rebate. When I looked thery were only four Big Horn.
So, it appears the dealer just inflated your trade-in to compensate for any discounts they COULD have given.
Its all about moving #'s around, and how it looks on paper.
Obviously, the trade-in wasn't worth $54,000, but the dealer MADE it LOOK LIKE it was.
If I got over $6700 off on a Laramie, then that would have been the minimum the dealer should have given you (but he absorbed at least that much into your trade in). PLUS, he probably got at least $2500 in his holdback on the truck he sold).
So take at least $6700 off the 54000 he gave you got the RAM, he's only got $47,300 (for example only) in the trade, which even at that, he will probably not be able to resell that truck for that. (note, example only based off the probable discount on the Limited).

So, he will end up eating a loss in the trade, but he probably made at least $8700 on the truck he sold you (assuming NO discount or rebates)....... No sticker available, but based off what you said and what was on the invoice.

So, he probably didn't lose any money, he might break even if he gets rid of the RAM.

Just goes to show you how deceiving dealers are and how moving #'s around on paper, in some scenarios, makes it look like a better deal, when it actually isn't.

What's more confusing is when a dealer brings out the 'four square". I just walk out!

In the long run, if you got the truck you wanted, that's all that matters! Enjoy!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was $77k. They had ones that were $88k
Gosh dam my new to me 2019 limited w all the bells and whistles minus the pano roof was 30k with 60k miles. I felt that was a killer deal. Used an old commuter ( 2012 ford edge) as a trade in and financed the 30k. Dealer had it posted for 38 one day and on the way in to see it it went down to 36 and locked it in there.

U

User_3336

A 22 Big Horn BASE to a 23, went up alone $4250, then every option package went up. Hemi now $3000 is crazy.

No comparisons for a Laramie or Limited base.

But we keep buying them! LOL

TripleB

Reaction score
It was just spotted that your deal was unusual based off the current market. No one certainly accused anyone of lying.
But it would be interesting to see how your deal was structured. Dealers do crazy deals sometimes. There's always an explanation for everything.
Sometimes I get a fever so bad to pull the trigger, I cant tell what I’m paying. Sure they make it harder on purpose. They like to slide in couple k of bull **** add ons

Later addition....
I went back and read this again. It still does not make sense $$ wise. OP did not say what discount he got on the new truck (Limited) ((if any)).
Again, there is no logical sense of why a dealer would pay over $10K over current market value on a 22 Big Horn. the only reasonable scenario of this would be if the dealer was giving a ZERO discount on the Limited, and making up for it in the over allowance of the trade (dealers have been known to do this). Its all about rearranging numbers on paper (not to reflect the actual values).
The dealer most certainly could NOT sell a 22 Big Horn for $54K, No way on this earth. Even if they took it to auction, they'd be getting LESS than market value, because the auctioneer would have to make a profit there.
I think there is a part of the equation missing here. Some part of the deal the OP missed or failed to include in the original message. This is just NOT a typical, normal trade/sell situation. they numbers are too out of reality.
Again, its a rare transaction, possible perhaps, (I am not sure why a dealer would have, unless he was desperate for a sale - - there are loss leaders in this industry) but I won't believe this until I see the bill of sale. Sorry, OP.
when people make these different posts, we all take for granted that somethings are just coming knowledge.

Yes, he did not come off the MSRP. He gave give me more for my trade then it was worth. Not sure why he did it that way. I got my $77k truck for about $64.
In Texas that would be common. Where i live not so much.

In my first statement, I pointed out that the finance lady said this deal was a negative gain as far she could tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online