5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 488 magnum, 5 speed, 4x4

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Removed window tint on my front windows. Wow, I can see things at night.

Once I get my new auxiliary reverse lights on, backing the camper at night won't be so dark
263a.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the Ole V10 made another camping trip. I love how this truck pulls and I sure wish it wasn't rusting away.

I am still having a locking brake when it rains. Very annoying.

I haven't got my exhaust on yet so I was trying to stay out of the loud pedal, and it just amazes me how well thought out this engine was for towing. It will lug down in 4th gear and just start chugging right up to speed. Our 2003 Hemi, (I wish it easy a manual or had tow/haul) surprises you with an abrupt down shift and I hate it.

Wish Ram would give the 6.4l a manual, but I also know just how great the new transmissions with tow/haul can tow and haul.

What and great truck though, rust and all.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Added some tailpipes to vacate the sound from rumbling under the truck.
Just went with 2.25 as they were cheaper. Duals in front of passenger tire.
The cool thing about the V10 is that it is essentially 2, 5 cyl motors so you get a very distinCT rumble for each exhaust pipe. Sounds like a Viper now

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we returned from a camping trip and are leaving for another on Monday.

My son (5) assisted me in replacing a wheel bearing in the overflow parking lot.

He really loves trucks and wants this one. He said, well dad I got to learn to fix it if it is going to be mine some day.

I am definitely getting old, the open exhaust sounds great tooling around town but climbing up into the Allegheny Mountains it gets a little annoying.

We redid the duct tape and from 20 feet she looks good again.

Had a few people even ask about the Ole V10. Guess she still has some presence in this new truck world.

Saw some very interesting towing setups...lots of people don't seem to care about a weight distributing hitch (scary) and it seems there are more 1/2 tons hauling 5th wheels than 1 tons these days.

Monday can't get here soon enough.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, before we headed out for this camping trip I put 2 glasspack mufflers on my truck. Got some of the back pressure back and some sanity as the mufflers did their job. Still has a good rumble and a growl with throttle.

Made towing much better.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, before we headed out for this camping trip I put 2 glasspack mufflers on my truck. Got some of the back pressure back and some sanity as the mufflers did their job. Still has a good rumble and a growl with throttle.

Made towing much better.
I used to own a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1L / Allison combo. Man, that 496 ci LS-based V8 was an awesome gasser, especially with the Allie behind it. It was a 4x2 with 4.10 gears and a 45-gallon Transfer Flow fuel tank, so it could pull a house a pretty good distance. It came to me with a true dual chambered exhaust. What a sound!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We put almost 400 miles on the Ole girl towing the camper this past week. We headed down to the river, and ended up getting evacuated as the Susquehanna decided to rise and expand.

We got very lucky with our timing of departure, plenty of roads were closed, but luckily they receded just enought to let us make our escape.

Rust is really killing my pride and joy. Thinking long and hard about getting one more 4th Gen before we sit back and watch the 5th Gen HD make its debut.

Trying to talk my wife into trading in for a Rebel so I can enjoy it also. Unfortunately, gone are the days that we can successfully own w brand new vehicles...

Inspection time is one month away...Got some serious thinking to do on the next step in this haulers life.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Put another 300 miles on the Ole V10 towing. For the first time, it met it's match on a 10% grade with lots of switchback turns. Think I am getting a 02 sensor issue again...and might be time for spark plugs again.

Truck still pulled fine and other than wishing I had fixed the A/C, can't complain at all about the Ole 99. It was built to tow and it still can haul with the big boys.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Inspection time...Rust is relentless. Need ball joints, sway bar end links, a tie rod end or two, gas filler neck, and two weeks after I put my new mufflers on, the exhaust broke before the catalytic convertor.

Rear doors are all but useless now. The tailgate is giving up the ghost. Fenders are going above the fender flares. Front doors are shot at the bottom and both rocker panels are bad.

Truck still tows our camper like a dream.

I hate Pennsylvania winters.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Inspection time...Rust is relentless. Need ball joints, sway bar end links, a tie rod end or two, gas filler neck, and two weeks after I put my new mufflers on, the exhaust broke before the catalytic convertor.

Rear doors are all but useless now. The tailgate is giving up the ghost. Fenders are going above the fender flares. Front doors are shot at the bottom and both rocker panels are bad.

Truck still tows our camper like a dream.

I hate Pennsylvania winters.
Sorry to hear that, @devildodge. My '03 GMC is completely rust-free (in Texas). I'd be hard-pressed to find much flash rust on the frame! It's going to be hard to let it go, even with my new Ram on a train right now. I'm hoping to keep it in the extended family.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a set of seats out of a truck with only 45000 miles on it. Price was free, drove over picked them up and swapped them in in less than 45 minutes. Feels like a new truck again.

Wish the rust was that easy.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fixed the exhaust. It and the new seats are enough for the moment to make me enjoy driving again. After quieting down the "viper" exhaust note, really wasn't enjoying the straight thru sound anymore.

I am absolutely amazed how worn down my seats were. The new ones set me up high in the cab again.

Still having an inner battle with myself about getting a new truck.

Might just spend some money and do a little experiment, kinda like the one I did to realize I really didn't need nor want that Cummins anymore.

The rust is still there.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a fender last weekend. Went to the local Johnys U Pull it and searched for doors. Found some better than mine...but not great. Did find one rear door in great condition.

Some more parts are asking to be replaced.

Made 3 more camping trips since the last one I posted about. I so wish rust wouldn't have struck the Ole Sport. I have no complaints about the service this Ram has given me.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2018-09-15 18.38.18.jpg
Figured I would take advantage of a bad situation to give an updated poser pic.

Went up to our camp to enjoy the evening and found oh 3 or 4 trees fell over. This one right onto the lane.

So I crawled up on it and took a pic.

Truck still flexes well, and so does the cab lol

Users who are viewing this thread