5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting thing happened

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
So I was dropped my kids off at school and daycare and was heading back home. Folded my mirrors and pulled my truck into tht garage and attempted to put it into park. My gear selector, while in the park position, begins to flash intermittently and won't go into park. My parking brake tums on and I get a message saying service transmission while getting a check engine light. My truck will also not fully turn off either...it stays in ACC and my radio and lights remain on. I plugged in my OBD2 code reader and get a "P0850* which according to a Google search states, "If the PCM has stored the P0850 code, it means that the input circuit which measures the function of the park/neutral switch has given an abnormal voltage ...". I finally disconnected by battery to save it, and reconnected to see if it would change and sure eny, it was back to normal. I called the dealer as my bumper to bumper warranty is up this July and wanted them to have something on file in case this issue pops up again. Anyone ever deal with something like this? Other than that, I've been very satisfied with tht truck through almost 3 years of ownership and almost 19k miles.

My truck is a 2020 Laramie with sport package, non torque, ASD, level 1 package with sunroof.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm playing battery roulette myself, just hit the three year mark and it seemed to crank at little slower than usual after sitting for a week. If you do get a new battery opt for the H8, H7 is too small for these trucks
Why is the H7 too a small?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The H8 has better cold cranking amps and more in reserve. The short life cycle of the H7 might suggest it's being overworked. They used the H7 to save weight

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The H8 has better cold cranking amps and more in reserve. The short life cycle of the H7 might suggest it's being overworked. They used the H7 to save weight
I find it odd that so many manufacturers use the H7 as the battery in their cars. The Ram must put extra load on it when not in use.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I'm sure it revolves around saving mpg. They're doing all sorts of dumb things to save weight today. My in-laws 2021 Limited Pacifica doesn't have a spare tire for example. Full heated leather seats, full glass sunroof for all the passengers even in the way back.... but a spare tire? No way, that's too heavy

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did that a few weeks ago. I was able to drive the last 1/2 mile to the house.
I pulled the codes off the truck. It said it was the Neutral Safety Switch. I let the
Truck sit the weekend and it reset itself without any intervention on my part.
Now I was coming home in a Snow Storm when it happened.

Malodave

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did that a few weeks ago. I was able to drive the last 1/2 mile to the house.
I pulled the codes off the truck. It said it was the Neutral Safety Switch. I let the

Malodave
I have seen this a few times. Ice gets build up between the manual park release lever at the trans and sets the code. Happened to me last week.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score

Malodave
It was actually snowing when this happened to me as well. Wonder if that's somehow related to this issue or if it's merely coincidence.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure it revolves around saving mpg. They're doing all sorts of dumb things to save weight today. My in-laws 2021 Limited Pacifica doesn't have a spare tire for example. Full heated leather seats, full glass sunroof for all the passengers even in the way back.... but a spare tire? No way, that's too heavy
are the tires run-flats then? they would have to be I would say.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
are the tires run-flats then? they would have to be I would say.
They are.
This is what it comes with 245/60R18 BSW All-Season Self-Sealing Tires
"Self-Sealing" is run flats.

Lots of time the manufacturer will give you an air compressor with goo instead of a spare. That's how my Carmaro was. Runflats with goo where the spare would be.
The runflats were useless, and the goo expired and leaked out giving me an hour job cleaning out the compressor.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Doesn't do any good if your side wall or rim is damaged

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Napa Legend...wifes suv has one, inlaws, my current ram.. my 4th gen ram had one for 4 years old when i traded it in for the 5th

Users who are viewing this thread