5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Battery - Again, Last driven Sept 6, 2022

GMetal

Reaction score
I would get a NAPA gold or AGM battery. They are built by East Penn. Consider a battery tender with the proper amperage for any draws. I run a 5 amp on most my customer vehicles that sit for months. Shame techs cant get this right for you.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
I have a '10 cent' voltage meter I keep plugged into the cigarette lighter, it compares well with the dash reading when running. With the engine off in Acces. mode, with or without radio on, I can watch the voltage drop from 13.8 v engine running, to 12.5 v after shutting the engine off down to 11.3 v or less within 5 minutes.
This autozone cigarette lighter gauge may be your problem. The only time I got my battery light on was when I had one of this thing plugged in my 2016 GC, after I left it plugged in for couple of days. I then used it on my 2015 Honda Accord and it worked there for about a week before the battery started acting up. I had Innova 3721 battery and charging system monitor.

Do you remove this battery monitor when you leave your truck to the dealer? This may point why they don’t see any issues.

A very old fashioned guy at my work who drove a 1999 Chevy sedan sweared by this contraption and had it always plugged in his car and prompted me to buy it, but I think the modern electronics don’t care for it and are sensitive to it.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
This autozone cigarette lighter gauge may be your problem. The only time I got my battery light on was when I had one of this thing plugged in my 2016 GC, after I left it plugged in for couple of days. I then used it on my 2015 Honda Accord and it worked there for about a week before the battery started acting up. I had Innova 3721 battery and charging system monitor.

Do you remove this battery monitor when you leave your truck to the dealer? This may point why they don’t see any issues.

A very old fashioned guy at my work who drove a 1999 Chevy sedan sweared by this contraption and had it always plugged in his car and prompted me to buy it, but I think the modern electronics don’t care for it and are sensitive to it.
Good idea NOcturnal, about the meter causing a draw, I do leave it in there all the time. For my cigarette lighter the power drops out when the truck is off (there is a fix for that, by swapping a jumper somewhere). I have often used Acc. mode to check voltage before trying to start engine and would see 12.2 or 11.8 v. I would also watch while activating my handicap equipment, then compared start/finish voltages. The old OEM battery just couldn't hold a charge, but none of the service managers had the 'guts' and common sense to override the 'work process' with the GR8 meter/charger. Right now, I am not going to change a thing and see if this battery drains in 10 days, a month, or 6 months. I've got a truck customizer business down the street whom I've talked to about creating a weather tight external toggle switch and relays to disconnect my equipment if issues continue (right after I pull the meter and throw it way hahahahaaaaa).

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
I would get a NAPA gold or AGM battery. They are built by East Penn. Consider a battery tender with the proper amperage for any draws. I run a 5 amp on most my customer vehicles that sit for months. Shame techs cant get this right for you.
Sadly a 'tender' is not an option, I am in out edge parking lot, no outlets anywhere close enough,, and not enough sunlight under the canopy for a solar tender. Good idea though, thanks

Reaction score
I was out of town last week and the truck sat for 5 days. 2019 Ram Limited with 56,000 miles. Drove it this morning and early this afternoon. Came out when I was leaving work (4 hours of sitting) and it wouldn't start. Had the popping noise out of speakers. Used my lithium booster to get it started. I have (traction control, trailer brake, and suspension warning) service lights on dash and its in limp mode. Drove home (a few miles) and will get a new Interstate battery in the morning. I don't blame the battery as I know they fart out about this time considering age, miles, cooler temps. Hope lights/service warnings will go off without a trip to the stealership. Any advice on process this evening? Should I go ahead and remove old battery and let it sit until morning? New battery will hopefully do the trick, but damn.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
New battery will like take care of the lights being on. Hopefully that makes everything right again

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Not just the 2019 has this issue. I posted almost to the day a year ago when I took my 2020 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi (non-elec) out for an off-road adventure up in Ouray, CO. Came out in the early AM to start up the truck and found it was totally dead. Paid for a service from another town to perform a power jump before committing to towing the truck to the nearest Ram dealership (over 40 miles away). Luckily, it did work and I made it home. Took the truck to my local dealership and of course they could not find any issues. I have had no additional "dead battery" issues since then...until now.

Woke up this morning to go to work and guess what? Totally dead battery again. I had purchased a Tacklife battery jumper after my last episode just so I wouldn't get stranded out in the desert or mountains somewhere; I totally don't feel like I can rely on this vehicle (don't get me started on my recurring 12-inch screen and USB port issues that the dealer can't ever seem to duplicate either).

After hooking up the Tacklife, I couldn't get the truck to start and received an error message stating the battery was too low to jump. But the device has a "boost" mode just for the occasion so I pushed that and the truck started up after a couple of attempts.

I barely have 20K miles after almost 3 years of ownership and now I have to make another trip to the dealership again. I am thrilled for folks that have had zero or very minor issues at worst, but I am totally convinced I paid $60K for a pile of bison manure. I was toying with the idea of going back to a Toyota 4Runner just so I can have more fun with my off-road adventures and I think this morning sealed the deal. I went over to the Toyota dealership and placed my name on the wait list for a 2023 TRD PRO or TRD Off-road Premium (yes, the old 4Runners are hot right now probably for similar reasons as folks don't want to chance the newer, more complicated versions coming out....the current 5th Gen 4Runner is certainly old tech but it works , you can beat them up, and they will last +200K-300K miles without stranding you somewhere).

Last edited:

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
Not just the 2019 has this issue. I posted almost to the day a year ago when I took my 2020 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi (non-elec) out for an off-road adventure up in Ouray, CO. Came out in the early AM to start up the truck and found it was totally dead. Paid for a service from another town to perform a power jump before committing to towing the truck to the nearest Ram dealership (over 40 miles away). Luckily, it did work and I made it home. Took the truck to my local dealership and of course they could not find any issues. I have had no additional "dead battery" issues since then...until now.

Woke up this morning to go to work and guess what? Totally dead battery again. I had purchased a Tacklife battery jumper after my last episode just so I wouldn't get stranded out in the desert or mountains somewhere; I totally don't feel like I can rely on this vehicle (don't get me started on my recurring 12-inch screen and USB port issues that the dealer can't ever seem to duplicate either).

After hooking up the Tacklife, I couldn't get the truck to start and received an error message stating the battery was too low to jump. But the device has a "boost" mode just for the occasion so I pushed that and the truck started up after a couple of attempts.

I barely have 20K miles after almost 3 years of ownership and now I have to make another trip to the dealership again. I am thrilled for folks that have had zero or very minor issues at worst, but I am totally convinced I paid $60K for a pile of bison manure. I was toying with the idea of going back to a Toyota 4Runner just so I can have more fun with my off-road adventures and I think this morning sealed the deal. I went over to the Toyota dealership and placed my name on the wait list for a 2023 TRD PRO or TRD Off-road Premium (yes, the old 4Runners are hot right now probably for similar reasons as folks don't want to chance the newer, more complicated versions coming out....the current 5th Gen 4Runner is certainly old tech but it works , you can beat them up, and they will last +200K-300K miles without stranding you somewhere).
Sorry the gremlin seems to have jumped off me, and onto you Desert Dawg, I seriously considered a new Ford to replace the RAM, but when I put a pencil to it, with depreciation of my two yr old RAM, mark-up on the Ford, and the cost to swap my equipment, I was looking at $30 to $35 K to make the swap. That makes about $2.00 a mile operating cost. I thin I will add a 'warranty' package, from the looks of it, I'll need it. I originally was looking at Tundras, but my equipment won't fit.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s well known in the Jeep off-road community that Optima’s are to stay away from after they’ve been popular for many years. Sucks, but that’s what many manufacturers in a many industries do. 😑 I’ve been using AC Delco batteries & other parts & have had success with them. Hopefully they don’t go to crap also. I haven’t had to look at replacing mine yet but when I do I will compare them to Napa and AGM, but I hear a lot about the AGM on this forum.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
It’s well known in the Jeep off-road community that Optima’s are to stay away from after they’ve been popular for many years. Sucks, but that’s what many manufacturers in a many industries do. 😑 I’ve been using AC Delco batteries & other parts & have had success with them. Hopefully they don’t go to crap also. I haven’t had to look at replacing mine yet but when I do I will compare them to Napa and AGM, but I hear a lot about the AGM on this forum.
Several here, have mentioned Interstate brand, I know back in the 70's when I was young and poor, Interstate was my brand of choice, just seemed to be a battery that held up, lasted longer and had a better warranty than anything other than a Sears Die-Hard which seemed to be the Holy Grail of the day. Now, it's all on the CEO and the Board of Directors, who make the choice to save $2 on the construction of each battery, and end up sending the companies reputation into the toilet. Then they jump ship with a golden parachute leaving us with dead batteries or whatever they were selling. Good luck with whatever you choose, there's a lot to be said for Wal-Mart, they are everywhere, cheap price, and if they die, you carry it back in, and carry out a new one - few, if any questions asked. I drove a motorhome all over Tx, Ok, La, MN, Mich, and a little Co., and New Mexico they were always good to me. One thing I learned about Optima was, if I bought it from Auto Zone, and it died, I had to take it back to an Auto Zone, Nappa, Wal Mart and O'Rileys all would send me down the road.

fredrk123

Reaction score

I have had three dead battery incidents and I love my Ram 1900 Laramie but I'm sick and tired on going to the Dealership for these issues. I've also had my side mirrors switched out twice and I also have the usb error message port issue. Pissed isn't the word anymore and my vehicle has no more than 35,000 miles. It seems these issues can't be solved by the dealerships.

• Angry
Reactions: c3k

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: 9/21/22, Got my truck back from the dealer this morning. Make ready tech dropped it at the front door at 9 am (it was ready yesterday but .....). Wonder of wonders - they replaced the battery ( I looked at the terminal end of the ground straps, doesn't look like they took it apart). Ticket reads; 'Tested battery with GR8 - No cold cranking amps and will not charge'. This saga lasted 2 years 14 days, had over 15 'dead battery events' starting within the first week I owned the truck, required a minimum of 5 road RAM warranty service 'jump box' responses, multiple 'hook up my own battery charger' mornings, a half dozen ' damn it, I am gonna be late' panic attacks, 6 to 8 hours of service writer time on the phone or in person, 4 to 6 hours of tech time, at least several hours of conversations and emails with RAM Cares customer service, multiple calls to my handicap installer and the equipment manufacture, and additional $4,000 cost to me to replace the original handicap equipment with another unit to eliminate ALL possibility of non - OEM draw, multiple hours and msg's on this forum, the purchase of two personal jump boxes (the small glove box 1,000 amp didn't have enough capacity to draw from) and one 1.7 mile warranty wrecker call. But; damn it, I WON the $200 OEM battery on my bumper to bumper warranty.

I'm gonna plug my lithium battery. I absolutely love it. It has self "jump" capability. For someone like you having that little fob and being able to self rescue would be a godsend. Write it off as a medical expense. It weighs ~20lbs, you can pick it up like its nothing compared to a regular AGM pushing 70+lbs.

I'm running the H7, they do make an H8, but it's the same battery internally, depending on the AH capacity you choose. I got mine from a reseller about $270 off the list price.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna plug my lithium battery. I absolutely love it. It has self "jump" capability. For someone like you having that little fob and being able to self rescue would be a godsend. Write it off as a medical expense. It weighs ~20lbs, you can pick it up like its nothing compared to a regular AGM pushing 70+lbs.

I'm running the H7, they do make an H8, but it's the same battery internally, depending on the AH capacity you choose. I got mine from a reseller about $270 off the list price.

Dude, this is an awesome find. Thanks for the share!

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
never trust a battery thats 3 years or older. I just use walmart ever start maxx batteries. 3 year replacement warranty and 2 year prorated after that

fredrk123

Reaction score

I will also look into this lithium battery....its a little expensive but i need to make sure these battery problems go away....

Dewey

Reaction score
never trust a battery thats 3 years or older. I just use walmart ever start maxx batteries. 3 year replacement warranty and 2 year prorated after that
That’s ridiculous. I haven’t bought a vehicle battery in 30 years. Never even considered replacing a battery at 5 years and well over 100,000 miles. Never had one fail new from the factory. Wasn’t uncommon in the old days to get 6-7 years out of a battery even in very cold winter climates. I’ll be pretty pissed if I have to buy a new battery at 3 years. That’s just unacceptable.

Jako

Reaction score
That’s ridiculous. I haven’t bought a vehicle battery in 30 years. Never even considered replacing a battery at 5 years and well over 100,000 miles. Never had one fail new from the factory. Wasn’t uncommon in the old days to get 6-7 years out of a battery even in very cold winter climates. I’ll be pretty pissed if I have to buy a new battery at 3 years. That’s just unacceptable.
What are your driving habits? Looking at 100,000 miles it appears a lot of driving.
Father and father in laws car batteries crapped out a little over 2 years , wife's 2017 Civic made it 4 years and died, my Ram was 2 years along with others on the forum.
Father and father in laws I would blame on lack of use.

Miss my Sear's batteries. Bought the best I could always made it the 5 years and probably more like 7. The best I had was in my 1985 Toyota Corolla SR5 that made it 10+, not sealed and maintained with distilled water.

1668512386367.png

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone here using the Interstate H8 AGM battery from Costco?

I've been using Walmart's EverStart Maxx batteries on all my vehicles for the last 10yrs. I can't seem to find H7 or H8 in stock in any of my local Walmarts. I have to order it online.

I was in Costco last weekend and saw they have Interstate H7 and H8 AGM batteries for $187. I'm just planning ahead just in case my battery goes kaput as well. *knocks on wood*

My local Advance Auto Parts have the DieHard AGM H8 for $263.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes well now there's "fuel effiecent vehicles" that no longer charge the battery like they used to, they have a "smart" BMS system that only charges the battery when it absolutely has to, to keep the alternator from driving down mpg on short trips and especially until the engine is warmed up. Now the batteries are always undercharged, they don't get the "free desulfation" action the contstant variable charging used to provide so now they all crap out in a year or two.

And to top it off nearly ALL the batteries made in the USA and the world are made by only a handful of battery cartel companies. I'll have to dig up my chart. I'd done with lead acid batteries and AGM. Every UPS and car I have, even my RV and airplane are running lithium batteries now. Not looking back, no regrets at all.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
its what all southerners deal with. Heat destroys batteries, anything 3 years or older here will die suddenly. Ive commonly got replacement batteries at the 2.98 year mark.

Users who are viewing this thread