5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirming Truck towing, plowing and payload numbers -- charts

grimloktt

Reaction score
Ii'm trying to verify I'm operating w/n my truck's limits. Are these numbers right?

Payload: 1,300 pounds according to door sticker. So, subtracting my weight and crap I can load about 1k pounds into the truck.

Towing: 11,290 pounds

Plow/Front axle: 818 pounds (3900 front GAWR-3082 front base weight).
- Can I use 650 pound plow/mount? If I subtract my weight from 818, I'm slightly over?
cfcf45df4b4122651c9627d65aa6f7ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dontra

Reaction score
No, the trailer is most likely about 1600 payload so you could not tow it. For that sized trailer, the tongue weight would be about 15% plus the WD hitch.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
250 lbs of driver weight is already considered in payload capacity, if I'm not mistaken. And a full tank of gas. You shouldn't need to factor that into your calculations. Still, the best way to know is the cat scale, as stated above.

I don't know what year your truck is, but if you're really trying to follow the rules, my 2020 owners manual clearly states you shouldn't attach a plow.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
250 lbs of driver weight is already considered in payload capacity, if I'm not mistaken.
Wrong. Fuels are accounted for, but no passengers. The sticker clearly states that all occupants and cargo shall not exceed the limits set forth.

grimloktt

Reaction score
I posted this information on plowsite w/ updated information. Seems like the answer is I will probably be OK but with likely increased wear/maintenance costs but a larger truck would be more ideal.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
I wouldn't plow with a 1500 unless it was just a couple driveways. More commercially and you'll benefit from a 2500 or 3500.

Users who are viewing this thread