5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunroof popping/clicking

Clozano

Reaction score
Last week I started to notice a popping/clicking sound coming from my sunroof. I notice that when I open the sunroof the popping/clicking stops. Has anyone had this problem?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes. drove me crazy looking for the issue. Pulled down the headliner, took the CHMSL out and looked above the headliner for loose wires
Ultimately found a f150 video where the guy was having the same issue and used this

a7b28db8-5be4-4652-9b32-0ed49e5503b3_2.b2663bf524ac0669fe7ffd6eba8641f9.jpeg

About 3 days after spraying the entire pano seal, it stopped

I didn't use a knife though, just stuck the straw in the channel, sprayed and moved down the channel

Last edited:

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Is there ice on it? Mine was driving me nuts yesterday because of ice.

Clozano

Reaction score
N
Yes. drove me crazy looking for the issue. Pulled down the headliner, took the CHMSL out and looked above the headliner for loose wires
Ultimately found a f150 video where the guy was having the same issue and used this

I didn't use a knife though, just stuck the straw in the channel, sprayed and moved down the channel
Would your truck only make noise when the sunroof was closed? I find that mine will stop making noise if I open my sunroof completely.

BowDown

Reaction score
N

Would your truck only make noise when the sunroof was closed? I find that mine will stop making noise if I open my sunroof completely.

Yes, only when closed and driving over uneven pavement. If the sun roof was either in vent mode or partially-all the way open, no noise

Traysea84

Reaction score
Yes, only when closed and driving over uneven pavement. If the sun roof was either in vent mode or partially-all the way open, no noise
Any luck on finding out what it was? Mine has been making noise and been to the dealership a few times for this and a front end noise that they tell me they can’t duplicate and it’s all normal and to put the radio. It’s driving me nuts

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Last week I started to notice a popping/clicking sound coming from my sunroof. I notice that when I open the sunroof the popping/clicking stops. Has anyone had this problem?
Yes. Mine started last month. I noticed that when I’m going slowly over uneven surfaces it’s making this sound (sunroof is closed when it happens). Going to get some video for reference.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Add me to this list…. Mine just starting to do the same. Mostly when going slightly off camber (speed bumps on one side of truck, steep driveways, etc..) almost like the body is flexing more than it should. My 2019 never did this but this one is a long bed… so ? Doesn’t matter if the roof is open or closed…. It does seem to lessen after driving for awhile, maybe the rubber is warming up…

gonna buy the lube today and try it out.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Add me to this list…. Mine just starting to do the same. Mostly when going slightly off camber (speed bumps on one side of truck, steep driveways, etc..) almost like the body is flexing more than it should. My 2019 never did this but this one is a long bed… so ? Doesn’t matter if the roof is open or closed…. It does seem to lessen after driving for awhile, maybe the rubber is warming up…

gonna buy the lube today and try it out.
Well I tried the lube in the video….. lubed the crap out of everything and it didn’t do a thing…. Still pops and creaks when the body twists…. Any other fixes out there ?

hermes

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Only when closed and driving over uneven pavement. If the sun roof is either in vent mode or partially-all the way open, no noise

BowDown

Reaction score
Any luck on finding out what it was? Mine has been making noise and been to the dealership a few times for this and a front end noise that they tell me they can’t duplicate and it’s all normal and to put the radio. It’s driving me nuts

It's in the sunroof frame, when I sprayed the lube in the channel, my noise went away about a day later

Chlorum

Reaction score
It works!
I've spayed a silicon grease twice and the rattle has finally gone 😝
Thank you guys! 👍
PS. 2019 RAM 1500 Limited

Last edited:

jlaner0408

Reaction score
It's in the sunroof frame, when I sprayed the lube in the channel, my noise went away about a day later
Are you saying the outside frame where the sunroof butts up to the actual metal of the roof?

Mine is doing this and driving me insane. Along with the leaky back window. And the cracked manifolds. Haha

BowDown

Reaction score
Are you saying the outside frame where the sunroof butts up to the actual metal of the roof?

Mine is doing this and driving me insane. Along with the leaky back window. And the cracked manifolds. Haha

I believe so, I'd have to go out and look at it a again but I believe that's what I did because I remember the straw popping out of the channel and getting oil on the paint.
In responding to this thread it reminds me that I've still not heard that noise again since my initial post on the topic

Edit. Yes, the outside edge, all the way around the sunroof
Screenshot 2023-02-17 220226.png

jlaner0408

Reaction score
I believe so, I'd have to go out and look at it a again but I believe that's what I did because I remember the straw popping out of the channel and getting oil on the paint.
In responding to this thread it reminds me that I've still not heard that noise again since my initial post on the topic

Edit. Yes, the outside edge, all the way around the sunroof
View attachment 152150
Awesome- I'll have to give this a go. I only notice it in the winter but it drives me absolutely nuts

Fernan0911

Reaction score

Hello.
Where did you exactly sprayed?
Between the two pieces of glass or around were the seal joins the metal?

any picture would be very helpful. I have this issue whit my brand new Backcountry.

Fernan0911

Reaction score
Its like the moving part is loose.
Like there is not enough tension or pull to keep it from rattling

Users who are viewing this thread