5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center of gravity, front-to-rear, for raising on two-post lift?

Raydar

Reaction score
The truck is a 2019 DT Bighorn 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box. 5.7, no eTorque.
Does anyone know where the front-to-rear center of gravity is, so that I can evenly distribute the weight on my lift?
Of course there is nothing in the manual.
Also searched here, with no success.

Thanks!

bpwj76

Reaction score
The F/R weight distribution on my truck is 57/43 based on Cat Scale weight ticket. Having it weighed on scales is probably the only way you'll find out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The truck is a 2019 DT Bighorn 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Box. 5.7, no eTorque.
Does anyone know where the front-to-rear center of gravity is, so that I can evenly distribute the weight on my lift?
Of course there is nothing in the manual.
Also searched here, with no success.

Thanks!
If you use the factory lift points specified in manual, you will be just fine

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We always put a tall jack stand under the trailer hitch of F-150's when I was helping my buddy install downpipes and turbos on the ecoboost trucks.

That fifth point of contact helped steady the load, as we all cringed at how unstable the trucks were on a two post.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just line up the posts with the gap between the doors and it works fine for me. I always use under hoist jacks at the front and rear for safety. Lift arms go at the jack/lift points. Also, keep in mind that when you remove the wheels or bumpers, the weight distribution changes. Always use under hoist jacks.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe a new lift and he has never had one before? I was in the same situation when I bought mine a couple of years ago. We all gotta start somewhere.
Yeah we do.... then I am the crazy one that never uses under hoist jacks. If your arms are put in the correct spot, no need for under hoist jacks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah we do.... then I am the crazy one that never uses under hoist jacks. If your arms are put in the correct spot, no need for under hoist jacks.
I've never used lift jacks. As you said properly placed lift pads shouldn't need them. Unless you are removing significant weight from fro t or rear once in the air.

Raydar

Reaction score
Maybe a new lift and he has never had one before?

Exactly right. And I could have made an educated guess, and probably would have been just fine. But I am one of those "can never have too much information" people.
(I was able to safely lift a Fiero, with the engine behind the seats, but I've seen that done, plenty of times. And my Ram probably weighs twice as much.)

Thanks everyone, for the information. Much appreciated.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that they are not required. But, the pure thought of the headache of having to deal with the results of anything coming off the lift makes me use them. Cheap insurance.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Lift I use has assymetrical arms. (The Fronts are shorter) I stop the truck with the post
just to the rear of the mirrors. Adjust the Front arms to hit the Frame Cross Member right
behind the engine. The set the Long arms as far as they can go on the main Frame Rails making
sure the lift points of the arms clear anything on the truck so that they hit the frame.

Malodave

Raydar

Reaction score
Now that I did what I needed to do...
My lift has symmetrical arms. I parked the truck forward enough that I could just open the front doors past the posts.
I extended the front arms as far forward on the frame rail as I could - just behind where the frame rail angles upward towards the front suspension.
I extended the rear arms as far back as I could, without hitting the rear suspension anchor points - just in front of the bottom trailing link. (This still seemed to be a few inches in front of where the picture above seemed to indicate, but it is what it is.)

I raised the truck a couple of feet and shook it up and down at the front and rear bumpers. All good.
Raised it up and did my thing. All I really needed to do was rotate the wheels/tires end-for-end, but I took a few minutes to raise it all the way up and have a look around.

Once again, thanks for everyone's advice.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you stop the truck right at the point that you can't get out without dinging the door up on the post, you have the proper spot.

Users who are viewing this thread