5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Been considering this. Any place to get a good deal on one?
They seemed to be the same all over about $210. I went this route because it is known to clear the cold air intakes (doing that next) where the engine mounted style does not clear them. That being said the mishimoto kit is extremely high quality, everything was packed great, fit great, instructions were clear and it installed without any issues. It’s expensive but I dont mind paying for quality. Buy once, cry once. 😎

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the dealership having my new key fob programmed. Noticed a lot of classic trucks (DS) on the lot and only a few DT trucks. Guess the classics are cheaper to make and sell right now

Where did you get one and what did it cost?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can get them on Amazon or direct.

The special ram mounting bracket and ease of access is worth the price imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The one I use has a Hemi specific mounting bracket, and as for ease of access, it has a drain valve on bottom. No need to take it apart to empty, and since it sits next to engine, you don't have extra hoses running up to radiator area that definitely dont look factory.

Plus it works great with the best looking CAI made by Vararam.

PXL_20200912_173202319.jpg PXL_20210523_154841338.jpg

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
3907c1b1a695baeda4d542c233744c9e.jpg

And I can just reach over my grill and unscrew it to empty. No need for a ladder or to have to bend over my front end to access. Or a need to place a container under the drain valve to empty it.

To each their own

2019Raven

Reaction score
Had the dealer order one in. Took a couple of months to arrive. Sad thing is the fob was already registered to another vehicle so it could not be programmed. I am now waiting again for a new fob to come in as it is on back order

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a new fob off eBay to get the re.kte tailgate release button. Programmed just fine and works great. Was cheap too

__JAG__

Reaction score
Which ones did you get? I tried to order Mopar from BAM recently, but they were on backorder.
These are the factory Mopar. I had the dealer throw in these and rubber floor mats with purchase. They have been on backorder for awhile and took about a month to get. But the parts guy at my dealer said there were a bunch that just arrived at the warehouse, so I would check again.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the dealership having my new key fob programmed. Noticed a lot of classic trucks (DS) on the lot and only a few DT trucks. Guess the classics are cheaper to make and sell right now

I wanted an extra fob. I got one off eBay for $40. It looks and feels identical to my factory ones, except it doesn't say RAM Limited on the back.

I took it to a local safe and lock place and they charged me $80 to program it and cut the valet key part.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. I feel like I really should know this.

What is the benefit/purpose of these catch cans y'all are installing?

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If I’m understanding correctly, it is to catch any oil and debris to limit or prevent that stuff from entering the intake manifold and potentially the engine. I have been wondering about these as well and curious if just a high quality air filter that is either replaced or checked and clean often is good enough but I haven’t gotten that far into the research. I have a different warranty than Mopar and there are different ways I have to go about what I choose for my add-ons.

An update on the rear sway bar though - and there are areas where the speed limits where I drive on the highway are 70, 75, and 80. So please no lecturing on slowing down because I hear enough about that from my wife. 😄 There are areas where I normally need to let off the throttle or tap the brakes on certain winding parts of the highway that I took with ease and was able to keep the cruise control on at 84. I was very surprised and it gave me more confidence that I made the right choice in the purchase. Next, I look forward to going through the big group of roundabouts one after the other that I normally find extremely annoying.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Separates the oil out of the crank case vapors that normally would be introduced back into your intake. Then onto your valves to burn off per emissions.

Some high end vehicles come with them from the factory. And are plumbed into the oil pan. So there is nothing to empty.

It’s just a way to keep your engine running at an optimum level for longer and helps reduce the need for valve cleanings.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I’m understanding correctly, it is to catch any oil and debris to limit or prevent that stuff from entering the intake manifold and potentially the engine. I have been wondering about these as well and curious if just a high quality air filter that is either replaced or checked and clean often is good enough but I haven’t gotten that far into the research. I have a different warranty than Mopar and there are different ways I have to go about what I choose for my add-ons.

An update on the rear sway bar though - and there are areas where the speed limits where I drive on the highway are 70, 75, and 80. So please no lecturing on slowing down because I hear enough about that from my wife. 😄 There are areas where I normally need to let off the throttle or tap the brakes on certain winding parts of the highway that I took with ease and was able to keep the cruise control on at 84. I was very surprised and it gave me more confidence that I made the right choice in the purchase. Next, I look forward to going through the big group of roundabouts one after the other that I normally find extremely annoying.

Fear not! You will never get a lecture from ME on needing to slow down. LOL!!!

Separates the oil out of the crank case vapors that normally would be introduced back into your intake. Then onto your valves to burn off per emissions.

Some high end vehicles come with them from the factory. And are plumbed into the oil pan. So there is nothing to empty.

It’s just a way to keep your engine running at an optimum level for longer and helps reduce the need for valve cleanings.

Okay, so it is exactly what I thought it was. You disconnect your crankcase breather hose from the intake and connect it to the catch can and then put a plug in the hole to the intake. Or so I assume.

Thanks.

So, for those of you that have catch cans, how much crud are you accumulating in them per how many miles?

I mean are you getting 6 ounces of oil/sludge in your catch can every 1,000 miles? Or it is 1 or 2 ounces every 10,000 miles? Or what?

HemiDude

Reaction score
Fear not! You will never get a lecture from ME on needing to slow down. LOL!!!

Okay, so it is exactly what I thought it was. You disconnect your crankcase breather hose from the intake and connect it to the catch can and then put a plug in the hole to the intake. Or so I assume.

Thanks.

So, for those of you that have catch cans, how much crud are you accumulating in them per how many miles?

I mean are you getting 6 ounces of oil/sludge in your catch can every 1,000 miles? Or it is 1 or 2 ounces every 10,000 miles? Or what?
You don't plug any holes. The air still flows in the same way, the can just catches droplets of oil that are in that tube. The amount of oil that you capture is going to be relative to your driving habits. some guys may catch a few ounces, some guys next to none

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't plug any holes. The air still flows in the same way, the can just catches droplets of oil that are in that tube. The amount of oil that you capture is going to be relative to your driving habits. some guys may catch a few ounces, some guys next to none

Ah. It basically just splices in. Gotcha.

Understood on different results for different drivers. But, that is what I want to know. I'm curious what people are actually finding in their catch cans. What is "average"? What is "worst case"?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ah. It basically just splices in. Gotcha.

Understood on different results for different drivers. But, that is what I want to know. I'm curious what people are actually finding in their catch cans. What is "average"? What is "worst case"?
I get about 2oz every 1500-2000 miles on my 2020 Hemi.

And it catches more than just oil vapor. There is also water and fuel that gets collected as well. Stuff I wouldn't want in my intake, or even dumped into my crank case and mixed with the oil.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The last two vehicles I had a catch can on, I would capture about a couple of ounces between oil changes. Having just installed one on this ram, I would expect to see about the same. I just recently changed the oil so I guess I will find out next year

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If you live in a cold climate and have a short commute. Moisture will build in the can, meaning you will need to empty/check it more often.

On my last truck, after 5k miles I had about a 12oz beer glass full.

I haven’t been keeping track on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread