5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on where you buy them, it's cheaper to buy through a store that will price match, than buying online and then paying a shop to have them mounted. Some store include mount/balance into the price of the tires, or will charge more to mount tire you didn't buy from them
I just saved $400 doing just that! The store I found the lower price at couldn’t find them. The store I got that price matched at did. Just had to show the lower priced stores numbers.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was indeed talking about the X4S, as I just removed the Bakflip MX4 cover from my truck. It didn't work well with the MX4 cover, only 2 panels opened and the 2nd one would have to rest on the Rambar.

Why did I think the extra $500 was worth it. The Retrax just over all feels more premium even with the Polycarbonate (Lexan) material. I also liked the XR rails (extra $129) so in the future I can built a racking system for stuff like bikes, kayaks, cargo basket/plastic box etc..

I def would have gone with the aluminum, but I just couldn't justify like $1400 more for it over the cost of the X4S. The PRO would have been over $3000 in Canada and I don't use my bed daily. I still think the ONE is a great cover and it won't get as hot in the summer compared to the PRO. Time will tell.

Most of all, I just liked the way the cover works. Yes I loose bed space but it's easier to open and close with my truck being lifted. I think the X4S would be a little more difficult rolling up and strapping down with the lift and the Rambar - I'd have to get up into the bed to lock it down. Plus I like that I can open and lock this anywhere along the bed, where X4S is open all the way or closed.

I'm good with what I got, the bolts and gap are perfect plus I don't want to take it apart again to change the bolts haha.

I did think about those connector bolts, my concern was they are something that is used for furniture so I was worried about strength. Plus they are not stainless so they will eventually rust.

I may think about it down the road but I think with the added foam and button head bolts I'm good. But I appreciate the suggestion, I may do it down the road. I'm always changing things.

View attachment 139886
View attachment 139887
View attachment 139888
You could also use a different flat head bolt and countersink the hole.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will compliment your air bags well. You will be pleased. My only regret is not getting it sooner while it was cheaper. Just last week AAFES had it for just under $200 but now it’s the same price as Summit.

I put the Helwig on my '19 right after I got it, so I drove that truck with the Helwig for almost 3 years and 73K miles.

When I first put it on, I was raving about how much better the truck handled, etc.. Huge fan.

I traded that '19 for my '21 ED 2 months ago. Since I traded, I have not had a single time where I thought "this truck feels sloppy compared to my old one." I haven't actually noticed the change back to a stock sway bar at all.

Maybe I'm just getting old and driving slower.... But, definitely not feeling too likely to bother putting another Helwig on my new truck.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the Helwig on my '19 right after I got it, so I drove that truck with the Helwig for almost 3 years and 73K miles.

When I first put it on, I was raving about how much better the truck handled, etc.. Huge fan.

I traded that '19 for my '21 ED 2 months ago. Since I traded, I have not had a single time where I thought "this truck feels sloppy compared to my old one." I haven't actually noticed the change back to a stock sway bar at all.

Maybe I'm just getting old and driving slower.... But, definitely not feeling too likely to bother putting another Helwig on my new truck.

No, I think you’re right & they made changes to the rear sway bar at some point. I held off on getting this one for so long bc on the Hellwig thread there were some comments about the body roll being less in the newer models but no one could confirm 100% for sure. So I said screw it, I’ll experiment to see if it makes a difference & if it doesn’t I’ll just sell it on the forum.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I think you’re right & they made changes to the rear sway bar at some point. I held off on getting this one for so long bc on the Hellwig thread there were some comments about the body roll being less in the newer models but no one could confirm 100% for sure. So I said screw it, I’ll experiment to see if it makes a difference & if it doesn’t I’ll just sell it on the forum.

Interesting! I had not heard that. Thanks for the info!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

but wait. Your earlier post said it has made a big difference for you. And your sig block says you have a '21.

So, does it really make a big difference on a '21 or not?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Which hole did you use on the Hellwig in you 2019?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just saved $400 doing just that! The store I found the lower price at couldn’t find them. The store I got that price matched at did. Just had to show the lower priced stores numbers.
I like Discount Tire for this, as not only do they price match, but they will also give a military discount on top of price matching

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
but wait. Your earlier post said it has made a big difference for you. And your sig block says you have a '21.

So, does it really make a big difference on a '21 or not?

I had a 21 Laramie with coils & no Hellwig.

I traded it in for my current 22 Limited with air suspension & just installed the Hellwig yesterday & there is definitely a difference on back roads on the middle setting.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I traded it in for my current 22 Limited with air suspension & just installed the Hellwig yesterday & there is definitely a difference on back roads on the middle setting.

They all have coils. I gather you are saying your '21 did not have air suspension, but your '22 does.

Are you saying the Helwig resulted in a definite difference from how the '22 was as stock? Or different from how the '21 was?

Reaction score
You could also use a different flat head bolt and countersink the hole.

Countersinking the hole isn't a good idea, as the metal in the bar isn't very thick so you'd be taking away the integrity of the plate and holding strength of the bolt.

It's an idea but some others have warned against it as well.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Also, for clarity, my '19 and my '21 both had/have air suspension.

So, per my earlier post, I don't really notice any difference from '19 w/air suspension and Helwig to '21 w/air suspension and stock sway bar.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They all have coils. I gather you are saying your '21 did not have air suspension, but your '22 does. *Yes, correct.*

Are you saying the Helwig resulted in a definite difference from how the '22 was as stock? *Yes.*

Or different from how the '21 was? *I can’t really make a fair comparison regarding the 21. Just the 22 air suspension without & then with the sway bar added.*

Answered with *’s next to your comments/questions.

Last edited:

2019Raven

Reaction score
At the dealership having my new key fob programmed. Noticed a lot of classic trucks (DS) on the lot and only a few DT trucks. Guess the classics are cheaper to make and sell right now

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At the dealership having my new key fob programmed. Noticed a lot of classic trucks (DS) on the lot and only a few DT trucks. Guess the classics are cheaper to make and sell right now
They don't require as many chips, so the chip shortage doesn't effect them as much.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been considering this. Any place to get a good deal on one?
Don't buy Mishimoto is you want a good deal.

I use this one. Looks like it's on sale right now, plus an extra 5% off if you are a Prime member. Works great at 1/5 the price of Mishimoto.
Black Oil Catch Can Tank Compatible with 2009-2019 Dodge RAM Trucks 1500 2500 5.7L 6.2L 6.4L https://a.co/d/dLGrsTV

Users who are viewing this thread