5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Mirror swap - 4th gen mirrors onto 5th gen

SS2112

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2019 BigHorn and unfortunately have the black non-heated towing mirrors with turn/puddle lights. Does anyone know if the heated towing mirrors with turn/puddle lights from 2010-2018 (Part# 82214909) would work on my truck? Thanks

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I'd give up blind spot monitoring for heat in a heartbeat. Not sure who in their right mind ok'd that part.
I might just pop the door panel off in the next couple days and take some pics and see if there's a heat wire in the harness.

SS2112

Reaction score
I'd give up blind spot monitoring for heat in a heartbeat. Not sure who in their right mind ok'd that part.
I might just pop the door panel off in the next couple days and take some pics and see if there's a heat wire in the harness.
Yeah, I already had to scrape the ice off of my mirrors. Not fun! If you find anything out, please let us know.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to order 4th gen replace glass, cause it’s only $19 and snaps in. Then wire myself thru the door boot and connect to the rear defogger wire. If there’s a heat output in the existing door module, I’m doubtful it’s enabled..

SS2112

Reaction score
I was going to order 4th gen replace glass, cause it’s only $19 and snaps in. Then wire myself thru the door boot and connect to the rear defogger wire. If there’s a heat output in the existing door module, I’m doubtful it’s enabled..
Please keep us posted on what you find out. I didn't think about just replacing the glass. It would be nice to know if there's already a heat wire, or if we have to run a new lead.

CouchAssault

Reaction score

i just pulled the door panel and you're right. it's not enabled. there's several unused pins on the connectors going to te mirrors on the module.
none had power on them with the rear window defroster enabled.

i guess i'll give some rain x a shot first.

SS2112

Reaction score
i just pulled the door panel and you're right. it's not enabled. there's several unused pins on the connectors going to te mirrors on the module.
none had power on them with the rear window defroster enabled.

i guess i'll give some rain x a shot first.
Thanks for looking CouchAssault. Much appreciated!

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the rear window defroster feed runs right down the driver door sill..I was going to grab that, and run a wire thru the door boot, out the mirror, and connect to the 4th gen heated glass..my glass is ordered..I will take some photos post up when complete..

SS2112

Reaction score
I believe the rear window defroster feed runs right down the driver door sill..I was going to grab that, and run a wire thru the door boot, out the mirror, and connect to the 4th gen heated glass..my glass is ordered..I will take some photos post up when complete..
That would be awesome! Thanks! Where are you getting the mirrors from?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually ordered them on amazon because I get free prime shipping. I'll probably mess with them next week one day.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
heated glass came in, its the same size glass, which is good..removed the mirror, and did not find any wiring for heat (which I expected). What I didn't expect, was the difficulty in getting a wire thru the mirror arm, because the wire travels thru 2 pivot-joints, and there seems to be some restriction in pushing either a snake or fish thru the pivot point..literally, if I can get a wire thru the 2 pivot points, I'd have heated mirrors for about $38.

I might try using a light-string, and a vacuum cleaner on the other end, and see if suction will pick up the string thru the mirror arm, then use that to pull a wire thru.

SS2112

Reaction score
heated glass came in, its the same size glass, which is good..removed the mirror, and did not find any wiring for heat (which I expected). What I didn't expect, was the difficulty in getting a wire thru the mirror arm, because the wire travels thru 2 pivot-joints, and there seems to be some restriction in pushing either a snake or fish thru the pivot point..literally, if I can get a wire thru the 2 pivot points, I'd have heated mirrors for about $38.

I might try using a light-string, and a vacuum cleaner on the other end, and see if suction will pick up the string thru the mirror arm, then use that to pull a wire thru.
But of course it wouldn't be easy! Do you think you'll have to run a ground wire as well?

RBRK

Reaction score
You need to pull,off the black cover that is on the front side. It pops off, I guess you could can call it the arm cover.

Then you can feed the wire through easily. I swapped some chrome heated tow mirrors to black non heated tow mirrors , both had blind spot. I swapped the harnesses between both. Went pretty easy once I got them apart.

To be clear, my truck had heated blindspot mirrors that were chrome. I could only get a black tow mirror that had blindspot, but no heat, so I made it all work.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to pull,off the black cover that is on the front side. It pops off, I guess you could can call it the arm cover.

Then you can feed the wire through easily. I swapped some chrome heated tow mirrors to black non heated tow mirrors , both had blind spot. I swapped the harnesses between both. Went pretty easy once I got them apart.

To be clear, my truck had heated blindspot mirrors that were chrome. I could only get a black tow mirror that had blindspot, but no heat, so I made it all work.
For real? I was looking for a good spot to pry or a screw thinking dang, the black cover must be glued together. I’ll give it another look! Thanks for the info

RBRK

Reaction score
No screw the whole front full length comes off. It’s kinda hard to get it started to come off but once it does it’s not too bad. I have some plastic pry tools I used.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, pardon my dumb question. Are you saying 4th gen mirrors would swap into the 5th gen?

SS2112

Reaction score
Hey guys, pardon my dumb question. Are you saying 4th gen mirrors would swap into the 5th gen?
Yes and No. The 4th gen mirrors will bolt on and are physically identical. However, if you're trying to install heated mirrors, for example, and don't already have heated mirrors, then the 4th gen mirrors won't work because the door module won't have capabilities/wiring for the heat. What mike_ct is doing is he bought just the heated mirror glass assembly, which is a direct fit, and is going to run a separate wire from the rear defrost wiring back up to the mirror. RBRK was able to swap mirrors because he already had heat and blind-spot monitoring.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and No. The 4th gen mirrors will bolt on and are physically identical. However, if you're trying to install heated mirrors, for example, and don't already have heated mirrors, then the 4th gen mirrors won't work because the door module won't have capabilities/wiring for the heat. What mike_ct is doing is he bought just the heated mirror glass assembly, which is a direct fit, and is going to run a separate wire from the rear defrost wiring back up to the mirror. RBRK was able to swap mirrors because he already had heat and blind-spot monitoring.

Gotcha. I have tow mirrors with blind-spot monitoring and I have to say I am not a fan at all. As much as I liked the heated mirrors on my old truck being in the NE, I’d rather have a set of mirrors that I was more comfortable with. Just trying to figure the options outside of the $1,300ish package that I see other guys grabbing.

SS2112

Reaction score
For real? I was looking for a good spot to pry or a screw thinking dang, the black cover must be glued together. I’ll give it another look! Thanks for the info
mike_ct, just wondering if you had made any progress on the mirror glass swap?

runamuck

Reaction score
mike_ct, just wondering if you had made any progress on the mirror glass swap?

my question to you guys familiar to the ram mirrors. is there a replacement glass for the tow mirrors that is just one piece. I am not liking the split mirror so far.

Users who are viewing this thread