5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wear issues with frost interior

dalailama23

Reaction score
Is any member or member that knows someone with the frost interior having any wear issues along the seam lines . The leather top coat so to speak separates from the base leather ( picture attached) . I had a beige interior in my last 2015 laramie , no issues . The attachment is from the first seat 500 miles, and im retired no work related wear. The second new seat has only 400 miles and is starting to do the same thing. Anybody else?. IMG_0941.jpg

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, that's no good. So they replaced it once already and it's doing the same thing?

UnLimited

Reaction score
I have the frost as well, and 2 weeks in I noticed that the overall seat is picking up color from wearing jeans..

Time for some upholstery cleaner and then put some sort of towel down to protect it...

dalailama23

Reaction score
yes it like the leather is to soft or not cured right , none of my seat panels match some are smooth some are textured, people riding in my truck are red assing me telling me how there 25000 less dollar vehicles have better matching seats. and they do. my 2015 is right down the street and it getting used like i never did and it looks better, should have waited for year two or three and not been the lab mouse. this is one of many issues i have worked through. Wish i kept my 15 for a couple more years even the stereo sounds better , getting teased over that to.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I have the frost as well, and 2 weeks in I noticed that the overall seat is picking up color from wearing jeans..

Time for some upholstery cleaner and then put some sort of towel down to protect it...
Shouldn't have to no other manufactures seem to have that problem , cheap *** suppliers i think is all there FCA problems

Devils Voice

Reaction score
Is any member or member that knows someone with the frost interior having any wear issues along the seam lines . The leather top coat so to speak separates from the base leather ( picture attached) . I had a beige interior in my last 2015 laramie , no issues . The attachment is from the first seat 500 miles, and im retired no work related wear. The second new seat has only 400 miles and is starting to do the same thing. Anybody else?. View attachment 9790
Mine has under 300 Miles and has the exact same issue in the exact same area. Dealer already ordered a replacemnet.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had a denali that started out tan but turned blue from wearing jeans, it happened fairly quickly also.
Had a Mercedes Benz with light grey MBTex upholstery that had a similar propensity to pickup the blue from denim jeans.

Devils Voice

Reaction score
Is any member or member that knows someone with the frost interior having any wear issues along the seam lines . The leather top coat so to speak separates from the base leather ( picture attached) . I had a beige interior in my last 2015 laramie , no issues . The attachment is from the first seat 500 miles, and im retired no work related wear. The second new seat has only 400 miles and is starting to do the same thing. Anybody else?. View attachment 9790
300 miles, waiting on replacement. They can replace them from now until they get it right.

Attachments

• Ram seat (2).jpg
    Ram seat (2).jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 136

dalailama23

Reaction score
just like mine, I'm on number two , doing the same. i wonder what will happen if other passengers in my truck start using the seats . so far its been just me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

FYI - That's normal, and the reason I went with black leather this time around. Not a huge deal, you just need to add a step to your weekly routine and clean the seats when you wash your car, for them to stay looking pristine. A light all purpose cleaner and microfiber wipe will do this. Just remember to finish with a conditioner to neutralize the alkalinity of the APC.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
yes it like the leather is to soft or not cured right , none of my seat panels match some are smooth some are textured, people riding in my truck are red assing me telling me how there 25000 less dollar vehicles have better matching seats. and they do. my 2015 is right down the street and it getting used like i never did and it looks better, should have waited for year two or three and not been the lab mouse. this is one of many issues i have worked through. Wish i kept my 15 for a couple more years even the stereo sounds better , getting teased over that to.[/QUOTE

That sucks! I had a VW with grey leather and my black work pants at the time stained the leather. As far as the different textures on the leather it is because it is full grain leather, no two pieces are the same. It says something about either on the tag that was on the passenger head rest or the owners manual. I perfer the different textures and wish mine had more. I have seen some at the dealer that have allot more texture than my leather.

ium33

Reaction score
Mine shows the blue jean stains in the same area, but it always wipes off when I wash my interior every week. I've definitely not had any problems with the leather tearing.

In fact, I washed it before our trip and I need to clean it again. I usually just use some diluted hand soap.

Attachments

• 15445567363623089891958848741147.jpg
    15445567363623089891958848741147.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 69

ericd

Reaction score
yes it like the leather is to soft or not cured right , none of my seat panels match some are smooth some are textured, people riding in my truck are red assing me telling me how there 25000 less dollar vehicles have better matching seats. and they do. my 2015 is right down the street and it getting used like i never did and it looks better, should have waited for year two or three and not been the lab mouse. this is one of many issues i have worked through. Wish i kept my 15 for a couple more years even the stereo sounds better , getting teased over that to.
I have a bunch of mis-matched seat panels as well with the smooth vs textured. Are you considering trying to get them replaced to match? I'm getting one done on the back of the passenger seat. That one was particularly bad and noticeable

Zinger

Reaction score
Light colored leather "is what it is.". It shows stains and dirt easily. Once it develops the typical creases they show dirt even more. Clean as needed. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does a great job. Next time opt for a darker color.

ium33

Reaction score
I'll give the Mr. Clean a try. It looks like OP's leather was starting to flake or tear, though.

As far as some mis-matched finishing, I've seen that on mine as well but it isn't bad. I kind of like having different finishes on different parts of my seats.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'll give the Mr. Clean a try. It looks like OP's leather was starting to flake or tear, though.

As far as some mis-matched finishing, I've seen that on mine as well but it isn't bad. I kind of like having different finishes on different parts of my seats.
Careful with the magic eraser, it is quite abrasive and you could rub through the leather's clear coat if you're not careful. If a microfiber doesn't work, used a soft bristle brush which will get in crevices, but not sand away the clear.

ium33

Reaction score
Never even thought about a brush. I've been trying to wash in all different angles to get the creases.

Users who are viewing this thread