5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a third key/fob: how hard and $?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got two fobs. I want to get a third.

Has anyone done this? Can you get a key cut (for the keyed part that is in the fob) by a locksmith? Can I program a fob myself (I have AlfaOBD)?

Or, do I have to go to a dealership and leave the truck for a day or two after they get a fob in that matches my vin?

Thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new fob off eBay for $40 that has the remote tailgate release. My factory ones do not. Cheaper to get a locksmith to cut the key and program the fob, than having the dealer so it. You can not do it yourself.

Reactions: c3k

Akerwin10

Reaction score
I bought a new fob off eBay for $40 that has the remote tailgate release. My factory ones do not. Cheaper to get a locksmith to cut the key and program the fob, than having the dealer so it. You can not do it yourself.
Did you have to add anything to get the remote tail gate to work?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you have to add anything to get the remote tail gate to work?
I havent had the fob programmed yet, but from reading other posts, you just need the correct fob. I've verified with alfaOBD that my tailgate will release remotely.

Akerwin10

Reaction score
I havent had the fob programmed yet, but from reading other posts, you just need the correct fob. I've verified with alfaOBD that my tailgate will release remotely.
Awesome thanks! Might have to try that myself once my new truck comes in.

Duncan Gafanha

Reaction score
I recently got a new fob from eBay, though the locksmith helped to make the cut and install it. I don't possess the right equipment and skills to do the job all by myself. Emergency locksmith sw20 made the perfect cut and eventually installed the fob in just two hours. I expected he will extend the hours for the whole day as many other locksmiths do. I definitely recommend welocksmith as the best locksmith company I hired.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got a new fob from eBay, though the locksmith helped to make the cut and install it. It would be too complicated for me to do this work all by myself.
You can't do it by yourself unless you have the correct equipment, which is expensive

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
If you have an extended warranty, read it - mine (bought the 8/75 MAXIMUM CARE warranty from the dealer when I bought my truck) allows for a total of up to 3 replacement key fobs/ up to $600 at no cost. Page 4 of 14 under the "Components Covered" section-Key Fobs paragraph. I basically walked into the service department with my warranty paperwork in hand, told them I broke one, and they ordered me a new one at no cost. When it arrives, they will call me to bring in the truck so it can be programmed.

Users who are viewing this thread