5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential fill

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is what I used and worked well. 60ml syringe from Amazon, and tubing from Home Depot or Lowes. I had previously filled to bottom of fill hole, so I decided to pull a little fluid. About 50 ml, almost one full syringe full worked for me, but not sure if any had vented over several months.
I removed about the same amount. The zip tie dipstick worked great, could easily see the oil clinging to the ridges. I tried using a piece of wire at first but couldn't see the oil mark for squat.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed about the same amount. The zip tie dipstick worked great, could easily see the oil clinging to the ridges. I tried using a piece of wire at first but couldn't see the oil mark for squat.
I first tried an Allen wrench but could not see oil, then I used a bread wrapper thing and bent it and worked fine.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are splash lubricated. If there is a little bit draining out the top, vs being 5mm below, it is fine. Low is more of a problem.

Reactions: c3k

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Low would be bad, but overfilling isn't good either. It could lead to foaming or blowing out the axle seals. Probably not likely in this case though

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the height of the fluid were THAT critical, there would be angle limits for climb, descent, and sideways.

Also, if you check "critical" fluid levels (thinking of several advanced transmissions), they specify the volume and TEMPERATURE of the fluid. Hot fluid takes up more volume than cold fluid.

I don't see either type of spec for the diff. It's a friggin' pinion and crown gear: don't let it get low, and the hole keeps you from overfilling.

Shrug. YMMV.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the height of the fluid were THAT critical, there would be angle limits for climb, descent, and sideways.

Also, if you check "critical" fluid levels (thinking of several advanced transmissions), they specify the volume and TEMPERATURE of the fluid. Hot fluid takes up more volume than cold fluid.

I don't see either type of spec for the diff. It's a friggin' pinion and crown gear: don't let it get low, and the hole keeps you from overfilling.

Shrug. YMMV.
Ram wouldn't give a soec if it didn't matter

Users who are viewing this thread