5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black trucks

Twil6

Reaction score
Hi,

Is a black truck just too much maintenance? I've pretty much have had white trucks because they still look good dirty and hide scratch marks decently.
Truck is not garaged and parked on dirt side of driveway. I would ceramic coat it. Wash truck on average every two months.

But Black trucks like real nice!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not gonna lie - it’s hard to keep black trucks looking clean. But when they’re clean, they look the best!
My preference in color was the Granite (last two vehicles I had were that color). It still looks mean, but doesn’t look as dirty all the time.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not gonna lie - it’s hard to keep black trucks looking clean. But when they’re clean, they look the best!
My preference in color was the Granite (last two vehicles I had were that color). It still looks mean, but doesn’t look as dirty all the time.
I agree, I've had two black trucks back to back now, this will be the last one for a while.

I would say if you only plan to wash every two months to get a lighter color as it will look dirty most of the time.

SealTeamFive

Reaction score
Speaking from a detailing perspective, black is easily the worst color. Very difficult to keep clean, swirl marks show through easily, and minor imperfections are magnified. It’s very pretty when meticulously maintained, but it’s a lot of work to do so

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I owned a lot of black trucks and they are a job to keep clean for sure especially if you do a lot of off pavement driving.

Granite and black two tone is a great combo. I’m very happy I went with this color scheme. Nice change of pace. At least I only have to worry about less than 1/4 of the amount of black paint now.😆

Last edited:

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I bought white exactly for that reason. The best color was my 1988 Ford Ranger. I forget what they called it, but it was dust brown. I'd never realize how filthy it had become until I cleaned the windows at the gas station, and there would be a huge muddy stripe where the excess water ran off.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
In my experience, any dark color is difficult to maintain or takes more work than lighter colors. My previous truck was Patriot Blue Metallic, it was no less work than the current black truck.
Really depends on your definition of clean and well maintained though. People drive cars through automatic carwashes bi-weekly and will say their vehicles are clean. I look at those same cars and while they are clean, the paint looks like sh*t and to me, my "dirty" truck looks better than their beat the pi$$ out of paint.

Paint correct and ceramic coat it and you're good. I wash my truck with a Cr Spotless DIC-20 and a pressure washer so for me, its not much work at all. That said, silver, white and yellow show pretty much no dirt; I haven't washed my yellow Z06 in a year but I haven't washed my truck in a month either and had it not been for the thunderstorms I drove through coming from Huston last week, I wouldn't need to now

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
I owned one black vehicle in my life (1959 Ford convertible) and will never own another one in my life. Look great for 5 minutes after wash, then ...

Dave

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
My wife's black Volvo is an absolute nightmare to keep clean. The average truck would be even harder. If I had a black truck, I would factor in a car wash subscription.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Black vehicles are the hardest to keep clean. Other dark colors are nearly as much work. It also depends on where you live. People in places like Florida, with more sandy soil and see rain almost daily have an easier time of it than people who live in farm county, or places that see a lot of dust. And driving in winter conditions also makes keeping vehicles clean more difficult. So I would say a lot depends on where you live. I spend a lot more time keeping my black Audi clean than I ever spent on the white truck I used to have. The wife has given up trying to keep her black truck clean. When I have a choice, I always opt for white or silver.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a black truck for 20 years & finally got smart.......Silver always looks clean!!!

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, but once you have black.............. never mind.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
My last two trucks were black and were a nightmare to keep looking clean and they were noticeably hotter in the summer after baking in the sun all day. I'm done with black vehicles at this point.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have only had black trucks, for the last 30+ years. They look so good when they're clean, I don't mind how they look when they get dirty.

On the '19 I just traded, I had it ceramic coated when I bought it. That was my first vehicle with ceramic coating. It made a HUGE difference in how good it looked at all times. When it did get dirty, a hard rain would usually put it back to actually looking pretty darn clean. And washing it was more a matter of just spraying it off than really putting any elbow grease into it.

I've got a '21 now - still in black. I've already started the process to get it ceramic coated. The Diamond Black Crystal Pearlcoat or whatever RAM calls it is just SO good-looking (especially with that mirror-like ceramic coating on it)! Much nicer (to ME) than just plain black.

drew7811

Reaction score
My last two Rams have been black. They are a pain in the a$$ to keep clean, but I don't think there is a better looking truck when clean. I keep up with washes and ceramic coatings pretty well, but still it's a lot of work. If you don't plan on putting in the work, i'd avoid the black.

dsl11b

Reaction score
My truck is all black and I park it outside, but in my cement driveway. I wash it about once every 2-3 weeks or when I go camping. I also spray wax it about every other month and paste wax it twice a year. It does look beautiful after a wash or wax, but that usually only lasts 2-5 days depending on the weather.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This! I love black clean vehicles when their owners upkeep them but when they don’t… nooo way. That’s why I picked Granite can easily go a few weeks between washing and it’s still looks rather clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bucolic

Reaction score
The biggest issue I have with them is keeping scratches and swirls off the paint. Black was my last choice but with the shortages of vehicles earlier this year when I bought mine I jumped on it when one became available with everything I wanted on it.

NEVER use the car washes with the brushes or it will be a maze of swirls in the paint in short order. Those swirls are present even on a White vehicle but much harder to see.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The biggest issue I have with them is keeping scratches and swirls off the paint. Black was my last choice but with the shortages of vehicles earlier this year when I bought mine I jumped on it when one became available with everything I wanted on it.

Ceramic coating pretty much solves that problem. Just sayin'...

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Ceramic actually makes keeping it clean harder imo. It helps water bead, repels dust and protects somewhat, but certain areas are just going to get dirty no matter what. They will stand out even more on a perfect glossy finish.

Users who are viewing this thread