5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pulled the TB, it was coated with grime, heaviest around where the butterfly meets the body. Now I'll give it a few days and see what happens with the neutral drop gremlin installed by RAM. FYI - The TB to manifold gasket is Felpro-61586, NOT 61372, (which the AI computer overlord at big parts store also had me buy).

View attachment 136196
🤞🏻

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Pulled the TB, it was coated with grime, heaviest around where the butterfly meets the body. Now I'll give it a few days and see what happens with the neutral drop gremlin installed by RAM. FYI - The TB to manifold gasket is Felpro-61586, NOT 61372, (which the AI computer overlord at big parts store also had me buy).

View attachment 136196
How can this cause the issue?

Vulpes

Reaction score
He is thinking the air disruption by the dirty TB and air filter causes a drop in rpm and make the ECU drop the trans out of gear.
Perhaps this is a case of, a dirty butterfly flaps its wings... and begets two problems, begets four, etc. So it has been 5 days of driving after cleaning the TB, and my "seat of the pants" feel for driving this truck feels like the conditions (cold transmission, high pressure shifts, quick stops, slowing down via the brakes for lights and turns) for the drop into neutral were present, but it has not happened so far. The 2 to 1 shift still feels mildly clunky, but it is not the same as before. The tach no longer shows a dip when slowing down/hittigng the 2 to 1 shift. I'll try to report back in 30 days. Would anyone else be willing to try cleaning their TB and see what happens? Also, my neutral gremlin appeared after about 45,000 miles.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So disappointed! The truck has been literally over a month waiting for a valve body and Ram keeps pushing the shipping date. WTF?! I just made a payment for a vehicle that I don’t have. I do appreciate that I got a loaner from the dealer, but now I’m calls from the rental place saying that the rental is over due. The whole situation it’s just very unpleasant.
Hey!

We're sorry to hear this. If you're still waiting on your vehicle. We'd love to see how we can help. Please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Reaction score
So disappointed! The truck has been literally over a month waiting for a valve body and Ram keeps pushing the shipping date. WTF?! I just made a payment for a vehicle that I don’t have. I do appreciate that I got a loaner from the dealer, but now I’m calls from the rental place saying that the rental is over due. The whole situation it’s just very unpleasant.
Got the truck back with a new valve body installed. So far it’s shifting nice and smooth.

Cooper83

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2019 Laramie. This only occurs when slowing down and under braking and downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Has been doing it for close to a year around the 75,000 mark 5.7, 8HP75 Trans, and 3.92 rearend. I have found that if you place the truck in tow/haul mode, this does not happen. Changes the shifting points when the truck is downshifting. However, in tow/haul mode, you lose the "ECO" mode, so get ready for your gas mileage to fall off. However, I would rather be safe and pay a little more for fuel than getting rear-ended because the truck failed to operate as intended. I am outside of my warranty, so waiting for FCA to come up with a fix before I go down the road of repairs/replacements, as otherwise, it will come out of my pocket. @RamCares

Last edited:

Vulpes

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2019 Laramie. This only occurs when slowing down and under braking. Has been doing it for close to a year. 5.7, 8HP75 Trans, and 3.92 rearend. I have found that if you place the truck in tow/haul mode, this does not happen. Changes the shifting points when the truck is downshifting. However, in tow/haul mode, you lose the "ECO" mode, so get ready for your gas mileage to fall off. However, I would rather be safe and pay a little more for fuel than getting rear-ended because the truck failed to operate as intended. I am outside of my warranty, so waiting for FCA to come up with a fix before I go down the road of repairs/replacements, as otherwise, it will come out of my pocket. @RamCares
Hi Cooper83, That sucks! What mileage point did the neutral gremlin turn up? Would you be willing to try an experiment and clean your throttlebody? Kicksnare suggested it on Page 20 of this thread, and after I cleaned my TB, it has been 7 days without the drop into neutral.

Cooper83

Reaction score
Hi Cooper83, That sucks! What mileage point did the neutral gremlin turn up? Would you be willing to try an experiment and clean your throttlebody? Kicksnare suggested it on Page 20 of this thread, and after I cleaned my TB, it has been 7 days without the drop into neutral.
I just updated my post. It was around the 75,000 mark. I now have 143,000 on it. It could probably use a throttle body cleaning anyway, and it's worth a shot. I was reading through the 21 pages, and it looks like they tried that early on and called no joy after a couple of days.

Vulpes

Reaction score
I just updated my post. It was around the 75,000 mark. I now have 143,000 on it. It could probably use a throttle body cleaning anyway, and it's worth a shot. I was reading through the 21 pages, and it looks like they tried that early on and called no joy after a couple of days.
Wowee, that is a lot of miles! I went back and read through, yes, no joy. I hope you can get this resolved, (along with the rest of us). I am going to give the TB experiment 30 to 60 days, the next thing I'll try is the 10,000 step service procedure for checking the transmission fill level.

Cooper83

Reaction score
Wowee, that is a lot of miles! I went back and read through, yes, no joy. I hope you can get this resolved, (along with the rest of us). I am going to give the TB experiment 30 to 60 days, the next thing I'll try is the 10,000 step service procedure for checking the transmission fill level.
😂 Yeah its a long process! I love this truck and have pounded the miles on it. They are mainly highway miles (still on the original brakes) I just want to get it fixed and go on my merry way with my Truck!

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
😂 Yeah its a long process! I love this truck and have pounded the miles on it. They are mainly highway miles (still on the original brakes) I just want to get it fixed and go on my marry way with my Truck!

I guess you really love that vehicle! ;)

smashweights

Reaction score
Third time this came up for me in 20k miles. Slowing for a right hand turn. What I can't grasp is if the computer KNOWS enough to say shift to neutral then back why doesn't it just quickly do it automatically??

Cooper83

Reaction score
I cleaned the TB and K&N air filter Saturday, took the truck for a ride, and slipped out on the first ride around the block. 🤷‍♂️

Vulpes

Reaction score
I cleaned the TB and K&N air filter Saturday, took the truck for a ride, and slipped out on the first ride around the block. 🤷‍♂️
Well crapola! Sorry it didn't help. Can I ask, which way the TB was cleaned? For instance; was it completely removed from the manifold, sprayed with cleaner while still on the manifold, or something like Seafoam?

Hewboat2019

Reaction score
Happened to me today As I entered a roundabout. I heard a chime as I gave it throttle to accelerate through the roundabout and it just rev’ed up. About got rear ended, message on dash was “Shift to P to start” and gear selector was flashing on Drive. Had to come to a complete stop and shift to Park then Drive again. First time this has happened to me. Truck is a 2019 1500 bighorn 5.7 no eTorque 3:92 gears with 30,500 miles on it completely stock. Will be calling the dealer tomorrow

Last edited:

Cooper83

Reaction score
Well crapola! Sorry it didn't help. Can I ask, which way the TB was cleaned? For instance; was it completely removed from the manifold, sprayed with cleaner while still on the manifold, or something like Seafoam?
Pulled throttle body used CRC throttle body cleaner. Reinstalled, drive, slip, crap. Hopefully, @RamCares figures it out soon.

Like I said in my previous post, all experiencing this put your truck in tow/haul mode. It changes the downshift point, and my truck has never done it in tow/haul mode. Not ideal be neither is getting rear-ended.

ONEBUCSFAN

Reaction score
Well guys my 2019 Bighorn does the same thing. But just not as frequent. It happens in the same spot every time. I remote start the truck in the morning to warm it up. I leave the house and on the 3rd stop slowing down for the guard gate to open, boom, slips into neutral and dash says to shift into park and then drive. I made complete stops each time to shift it. Last few in just turned the knob from the "flashing D" to neutral and back to drive while still moving and it went back to normal. I have learned to time the gate just right so I don't have to slow down as fast. Sucks I have to do this with such a nice truck. Dealership does not have any answers.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well guys my 2019 Bighorn does the same thing. But just not as frequent. It happens in the same spot every time. I remote start the truck in the morning to warm it up. I leave the house and on the 3rd stop slowing down for the guard gate to open, boom, slips into neutral and dash says to shift into park and then drive. I made complete stops each time to shift it. Last few in just turned the knob from the "flashing D" to neutral and back to drive while still moving and it went back to normal. I have learned to time the gate just right so I don't have to slow down as fast. Sucks I have to do this with such a nice truck. Dealership does not have any answers.
Demand the service manager meet you at your house and take him on that drive while you Go-Pro it.

Then send it to a lawyer and Stellantis corporate.

Users who are viewing this thread