5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pedal commander or not. ????

Duran

Reaction score
Is there a real benefit to the pedal commander. As far as eco mode and of course the beast mode!!!!!!!.

And pics any one ???

What is your suggestion ???

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a real benefit to the pedal commander. As far as eco mode and of course the beast mode!!!!!!!.

And pics any one ???

What is your suggestion ???
so ram has yet to build my rebel yet, but I can tell you my experience with my previous rig with it.
eco mode really dilutes the throttle response a lot. this is useful when you're crawling (while offroading) when you don't want to have too much/ sensitive throttle input. Also useful when you're on the road just cruising since you won't be revving the engine too much. The drawback is if you leave it in eco mode, you will compensate for the diluted throttle response by pushing the throttle more. This defeats the gas saving purpose.

the "beast mode" just cranks up the throttle sensitivity. You have no real HP or torque gain but the engine will rev up a lot faster as the throttle input is increased. Are you any faster? maybe. you feel faster just because when you're at 50% throttle with beast mode the computer reads "we are in full send mode!" and you don't have to push it that much to get the rev up. However, the amount of power your truck makes is predefined. Once you hit 100% power at the engine, even though your throttle is sending signal for "more power," you will not go beyond 100%.

is it worth it? for each his own to be honest. If you want to get it for gas saving purpose... after 5 years of usage I do find that I save some gas. But that is my previous rig was slow to begin with and I just gave up on the power department (which is also why I'm going with a v8 this time). But is it $399 (or whatever they go for these days) gas saving? I'd say not really. BUT if you go offroad and constantly find yourself in the position in need to carefully fineness your throttle input, I'd say go for it.

Duran

Reaction score
so ram has yet to build my rebel yet, but I can tell you my experience with my previous rig with it.
eco mode really dilutes the throttle response a lot. this is useful when you're crawling (while offroading) when you don't want to have too much/ sensitive throttle input. Also useful when you're on the road just cruising since you won't be revving the engine too much. The drawback is if you leave it in eco mode, you will compensate for the diluted throttle response by pushing the throttle more. This defeats the gas saving purpose.

the "beast mode" just cranks up the throttle sensitivity. You have no real HP or torque gain but the engine will rev up a lot faster as the throttle input is increased. Are you any faster? maybe. you feel faster just because when you're at 50% throttle with beast mode the computer reads "we are in full send mode!" and you don't have to push it that much to get the rev up. However, the amount of power your truck makes is predefined. Once you hit 100% power at the engine, even though your throttle is sending signal for "more power," you will not go beyond 100%.

is it worth it? for each his own to be honest. If you want to get it for gas saving purpose... after 5 years of usage I do find that I save some gas. But that is my previous rig was slow to begin with and I just gave up on the power department (which is also why I'm going with a v8 this time). But is it $399 (or whatever they go for these days) gas saving? I'd say not really. BUT if you go offroad and constantly find yourself in the position in need to carefully fineness your throttle input, I'd say go for it.
Great input.
Its my daily driver. I mainly monitor my pedal when driving my 30 mile commute round trip to and from work

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great input.
Its my daily driver. I mainly monitor my pedal when driving my 30 mile commute round trip to and from work
ill also add that i usually drive it in eco mode to save some gas and to hold myself back from driving like a speed racer, but sometimes I turn it off just to pretend im driving a whole different rig lol

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to pull mine off because it interfered with the GDE tune put on my Ecodiesel.
I will sell it for $200 if you want it. I did like it while it was on to reduce the throttle lag.

Malodave

Duran

Reaction score
ill also add that i usually drive it in eco mode to save some gas and to hold myself back from driving like a speed racer, but sometimes I turn it off just to pretend im driving a whole different rig lol
Ya still concodering they go for 300 now

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a pedal commander, but do have a Pulsar. Economy mode reduces throttle sensitivity, not sure what else it all does, but it gave me an extra 1-1.5 mpg when I started using it. Performance mode is just that. Very sensitive throttle, and better performance. Was just over 1/2 second faster in the 1/4 mile between stock and performance modes. And the tow mode helps when towing as well. Kind of in-between stock and performance with throttle sensitivity, and seems to have less downshifts than stock.

Duran

Reaction score
Thank you for the input.

Any pics

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I do not have a Pedal Commander, but a JMS PedalMAX Terrain. I chose the PedalMAX, because it is a simple knob, can be set and then removed, and is capable of being set anywhere from 50% below stock to 100% over stock. I didn't like the big control box of the Pedal Commander or the more complicated programming/control method.

That said they all do basically the same thing, increase throttle response. It definitely enhances the driving experience and makes the throttle more responsive. While it does NOT increase HP or torque, it gives the feeling of it. When you press the gas pedal, the truck moves and throttle lag is all but eliminated. It may not be worth the cost for some, but I think it was worth every penny.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m still seeing throttle lag with my Pedal Commander. It’s perfectly fine when you ease into the throttle but if you mat the accelerator it’s pretty horrible and no better than before.

Maybe there’s something wrong with my truck. Interested if others see the same.🤔

Wire4money

Reaction score
I’ve only had my Ram for a couple days, but coming from a Tacoma, I find the throttle touchy.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pics aren't really going to help much. I have the PC and use the app, so I zip tied it up under the dash to hide it. I usually keep it a little more sensitive (Sport +2 I think), but when my wife drives the truck I'll set it down lower into ECO so she doesn't jump a curb. Definitely helps in the feeling that you're getting more power since the throttle takes less input.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still seeing throttle lag with my Pedal Commander. It’s perfectly fine when you ease into the throttle but if you mat the accelerator it’s pretty horrible and no better than before.

Maybe there’s something wrong with my truck. Interested if others see the same.🤔
That's just part of the PCM programming. No throttle controller is going to fix that slight hesitation when you go full throttle.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's just part of the PCM programming. No throttle controller is going to fix that slight hesitation when you go full throttle.
That’s kinda what I figured. Just wanted to clarify that since I see a lot of people claiming the Pedal Commander eliminates ALL throttle hesitation. I thought that myself when I first bought mine but after further testing that hesitation was obviously not completely removed. Only thing that changed is instead of using my full pedal travel I only use about 1/3 in Sport Mode. This is exactly what I expected.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya still concodering they go for 300 now
iirc i paid $299.99 or something like that back in 2018. If that's the case then it's probably the only thing that hasn't gone up in price.

But i could be wrong though lol consider it was 4 years ago.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve run a pedal commander for almost three years. i run it in sport 2 as Lax posted above. It has eliminated the lag I experienced accelerating while driving around town. I do feel it saves some fuel especially after the first few months, because one will play with a new toy. I average almost 18.6mpg on our mostly flat Pensacola roads. You get used to it and honestly I don’t mess with it, it stays in sport 2. Be cautious on wet roads and even more so when on wet stop lines at signs and signals.

sprited acceleration is very nice for, you know, getting on the interstate or just having to be the first off the line at the red light, sometimes just has to be.

Adjustability for your driving style is the biggest selling point for the pedal commander.
Sport+ is not needed nor is the eco modes, for my use. I found the eco mode to be dangerous due to the very dull slow throttle response. Sport+ 3 or 4 are temporary grin inducers.

$300 is a lot of coin for one. I found mine on sale which is the only reason I bought it. There have been several in the B/S/T area at reasonable pricing. If you do buy one it will not be hard to pass it on.

Duran

Reaction score
Ya the price is crazy .

Probably be cheaper to go to a bigger throttle body.

That would change the output

Users who are viewing this thread