5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Ambient Lighting Question

smoytie

Reaction score
After flaboater's post I decided to take a deeper look into my dash and low and behold... THEY WERE THERE!!!!!!! I've attached photos of the lost but now found ends!!!
did you have to cur into the mesh that was wrapped around the wires to find them?

Nick57

Reaction score
I felt inside it first. But I did have to cut and unwrap them out of the harness. What year and trim is your Ram?

smoytie

Reaction score
I felt inside it first. But I did have to cut and unwrap them out of the harness. What year and trim is your Ram?
its a 2022 Laramie G/T. I found the left wire, but struggling to find the center and the right tube wire

smoytie

Reaction score
I added the ambient lighting to my truck and cannot get the glove box to light evenly. Tried rotating the tube and even covering the end of it. There’s a bright spot on the far right. Does anyone have a pic of a factory equipped one lit up?

d0db1ac9d95295a5cdda1d893537a2da.jpg

6c08daa7f964891b674cb90c86f8b18b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is how it is supposed to look. Based on other pics I saw. Looks nice.

Nick57

Reaction score
The wiring for the tube is behind the radio and then center one is behind the start button. if you have the one on the far left you have the other 2. :) The center one is the biggest pain to get undone. (sorry didn't notice at first that those were not your pictures) lol

smoytie

Reaction score
I spoke with PARAGOPTICS and he told me for 2021 and 2022 Ram removed the ambient light from the middle pocket of the door!!!! I just noticed. I had my friends 2019 Laramie and I just had a 2021 Ram Limited for a few weeks and noticed Ram removed the ambient light on the middle pocket of the doors. Unbelievable I have no reason why they did that! The middle pocket light actually brightened up the cabin.
On my 2022 I had the middle pocket lights in my front doors, but not in the rear. I'm going to try to order the two rear ones and install myself.

Nick57

Reaction score
On my 2022 I had the middle pocket lights in my front doors, but not in the rear. I'm going to try to order the two rear ones and install myself.
That is correct they removed those from the wiring harness for some reason in the rear doors.

Ram-583

Reaction score
I did exactly that! The 2 lights were cheap I thing they were like $12 bucks each and the harness that is already in the door has the connector taped up up in it. It took me like an hour of researching it to figure it out. VERY SIMPLE

GMetal

Reaction score
This is all great information. Too bad most these things are not available or on indefinite backorder. Its a real blast loading up a cart with all these part numbers then getting an email later that its cancelled since the parts are not available.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
New member, first post…..
21 Laramie, no ambient dash lights either… part numbers are correct from earlier in this post…. Dash connectors were there, but a pain to unwrap from the wire bundle… the left one was located behind the cluster, was able to cut it loose without removing cluster, but it was a struggle… center one was easy, right one was a royal pain, it was taped to and followed the main bundle all the way into the passenger footwell… was a serious pain to remove, had to remove both glove boxes to get access….copious amount of tape holding everything together..

sliding the light tube over the glovebox was a pain and tedious…end result was underwelming at best….. right side light above the glovebox is pretty uneven….not sure if I did something wrong or what .. I can see the light bar itself… it seems pretty even, just not much light coming out… might have to play with it some more…….all in all not sure if it was worth tearing most of the dash apart…..
UPDATE…. played around with the above the glovebox light some more and found out I put the fiberglass rod in incorrectly…. There are some clip that hold it in position that I put the rod in incorrectly… some readjusting and fiddling produced a nice even line above the upper glovebox….success !!…looks pretty good…..
Pete

Last edited:

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Hi guys, do you know if the 2022 Laramie (specifically Night Edition) has the connectors in the dash? Looking to order the parts and install this weekend.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
My harness ends were taped up in the main like the one you have pictured here. feel around inside the tape. It might actually be there. It was taped up on it tight. It didn't look like it was in there. Had to cut the tape back to get it out. (like a mummy) Not 100% sure yours will have them since your truck didn't come with the ambient lighting package. But it's worth another look. :)

I just popped my vent off on my 22 Laramie. I only have this massive wad pictured in this other photo. Are you saying I should untape this thing and it should be in there?

Mamalona21

Reaction score
Not sure on the 21's but some Laramies I've seen in the past had the connectors but the lights themselves werent there. So they order all 3 light housings and installed them without issue. easiest way to check is to pop out the drivers air vent and check to see if the connector is taped to the harness. Myself I have a Lonestar I added the Limited dash and wanted everything functioning my truck did not have the connectors so I made my own out of a door ambient light harness the connections are the same as the dash lights. Worked perfectly.. You dont have to remove the dash to add the harness.. View attachment 103767 View attachment 103768
What's the harness part # and did you tap onto the footwell light?

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the ambient headliner spot lights for the rear. I noticed my 1500 had them but my 2500 does not have them. It's like the front light that lights up the center console it's recessed into the headliner.

GTG2022

Reaction score
For those that have completed this, are these the settings that need to be changed in AlphaOBD?

ECUConfig 4: Ambient Dimmer: No => Yes

CBC Config I/O: Ambient Light Dimmer Wheel Input Present: No => Yes

Doors: Door Map Pocket LED Present : No => Yes

Doors: Door Courtesy Lamps Present: No => Yes

Doors: Door Handle LED Present : No => Yes

Cust.Set.Menu 1:Ambient Dimmer CSM Present: No => Yes

FM45

Reaction score
Marc.. Those should be all you need to edit...

-=FM45=-

This guy

Reaction score
just confirming, 2023 laramie with digital dash has none in the dash and rear pockets still not there..
anyone have the PN for the rear pocket housings, i went with oracle color shift so just need the housings, no wiring needed.. thanks,

Rebelqatar

Reaction score
Thanks! I’ll have to double check but I think the light in my footwell only comes on with the courtesy and not ambient.

Do you remember what you changed in Alfa?

Can you help with how you did the wiring

I have the courtesy footwell in halogen as well and I am not sure with what harness should I go and where to connect

Users who are viewing this thread