5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bpebler said it would be nice if the dealer could flash the BCM to allow Comma.ai to work with his truck. I said, that's not going to happen. I'm not sure why there's any confusion about that.
You don't need to Flash anything for the Comma to work. There is a small harness that goes between the DASM Camera and the Stock Wiring Harness in the Cover behind the Rearview Mirror. That plugs into a small connector box. From that box, a USB-C cable comes out to plug into the Comma Device. In addition to a 7' flat ethernet cable that goes down the Driver's "A" pillar to the OBD port with an OBD connector on it.

Malodave

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bpebler said it would be nice if the dealer could flash the BCM to allow Comma.ai to work with his truck. I said, that's not going to happen. I'm not sure why there's any confusion about that.

No, he said:

I would love to try this out. But I’m assuming it requires a flash or something similar that would void warranty, correct? If so, it will certainly be nice if the dealership could program it in to maintain warranty in the future. I know I saw a post on the UC5 being capable for it before.

And the very next post in this thread is my reply that you don't have to flash anything on the truck to use a Comma. I'm not sure where there's any confusion about that.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love the wheels and tores. Just upgraded mine to 33s. Curious how is your truck liking the change.

Feels like my laramie runs harder lost mpg for aure and feels like the trans is tryi g to keep up

Anything similar?

I ran stock wheels (22") and tires on my '19 for the first 23K miles. I averaged 14.8 MPG over that time.

For the next almost 50K miles I ran 20" Helo wheels with 33s on them. I averaged 13.8 MPG over that time.

I didn't notice my truck feeling like it ran any different or anything like that, though. Just worse mileage.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My concern is if anything that is stock electronics fails, will Ram/Stellantis try to say or further prove that it was the cause? That’s what they usually do. So in theory, it’d be nice if the LiDAR they have going into the 24 models could be uploaded into the UC5 system to avoid any warranty issues. I have a different kind of warranty on my Ram this time that is not from Ram again, but I feel is longer lasting with better coverage for what I do with mine & what my plans are. The dealer has told me a few times that all my parts need to be Mopar to stay in warranty & can’t be flashed or any other separate brand device hooked up to the vehicle. So no Pedal Monster or anything like that, no level kit other than Mopar, etc. So far my only options are the Vossen wheels & tires since I didn’t include the wheel & tire warranty for that reason, & maybe the few Mopar aftermarket parts that are available for our trucks. Not a huge deal though really as I already sold the Trans Am & plan on auctioning my older built Cherokee to get into something fast again as my second vehicle - hopefully the new Type R, but we’ll see. I would like to somehow add auto steering while staying in warranty, if it’s ever possible.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My concern is if anything that is stock electronics fails, will Ram/Stellantis try to say or further prove that it was the cause? That’s what they usually do. So in theory, it’d be nice if the LiDAR they have going into the 24 models could be uploaded into the UC5 system to avoid any warranty issues. I have a different kind of warranty on my Ram this time that is not from Ram again, but I feel is longer lasting with better coverage for what I do with mine & what my plans are. The dealer has told me a few times that all my parts need to be Mopar to stay in warranty & can’t be flashed or any other separate brand device hooked up to the vehicle. So no Pedal Monster or anything like that, no level kit other than Mopar, etc. So far my only options are the Vossen wheels & tires since I didn’t include the wheel & tire warranty for that reason, & maybe the few Mopar aftermarket parts that are available for our trucks. Not a huge deal though really as I already sold the Trans Am & plan on auctioning my older built Cherokee to get into something fast again as my second vehicle - hopefully the new Type R, but we’ll see. I would like to somehow add auto steering while staying in warranty, if it’s ever possible.

One, if my truck had any kind of failure like that, I would take the Comma out before getting my truck to the dealer. Just to avoid muddying the waters. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove the Comma completely.

Two, they would have a pretty tough time showing that a Comma is responsible for damaging the vehicle and using that as an excuse to not honor a warranty claim.

And, three, if they DID try to do that, I imagine Comma would want to step in and have your back, as they definitely would not want it to come out that manufacturers are denying warranty claims for people using a Comma.

In other words, I am very concerned to not do anything that might void my warranty. But, using a Comma ain't one of them.

When I am due for a new truck again, if RAM has something that provides self-driving, I will absolutely consider that before installing a Comma in a new truck. But, one, I DEFINITELY would not trust the first year of whatever RAM comes up with on that front. And, two, even if RAM has something that works and is reliable for that, I won't be surprised if what Comma/OpenPilot has at that point is still better. They have a very good head start....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your factory warranty still covers you during the factory warranty period. Your other warranty you paid extra for doesn't kick in until the factory warranty is up, even though it technically starts the day you buy it.

And it's easy enough to remove most mods before taking it to the dealer if there is a concern about warranty being denied. And even then, only the portion of the warranty that pertains to that specific part could be voided. They can't void your interior/electronics warranty because you installed a CAI or exhaust

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, he said:

And the very next post in this thread is my reply that you don't have to flash anything on the truck to use a Comma. I'm not sure where there's any confusion about that.
Yep, basically what I said. Just paraphrasing.

I don't care about how it's installed. I am telling him that Ram is NOT going to modify his truck so he can have the use of an autopilot, whether it's a function of UConnect 5 or Comma.ai.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I don't care about how it's installed. I am telling him that Ram is NOT going to modify his truck so he can have the use of an autopilot, whether it's a function of UConnect 5 or Comma.ai. View attachment 136163
He was asking if they needed to. Nothing needs changed in the truck settings.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't care about how it's installed. I am telling him that Ram is NOT going to modify his truck so he can have the use of an autopilot, whether it's a function of UConnect 5 or Comma.ai.

Right. You made a useless comment - because, as was explained in the very next post after his, he doesn't have any need whatsoever for RAM to do anything to his truck in order to use Comma. I got it!

broman66

Reaction score
Awesome. Mind sharing the part number you ordered?
Ordered from Amazon.
Hi and Low Beam Headlights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088ZT28XY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Fog Lights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BCNDL74?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Reverse bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BCNDL74?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Youtube videos that helped me:

Note: I did NOT disconnect the battery. I did remove the two ground wires to give slightly more access.
The fog lights, I just laid down on the ground and twist and remove the bulbs.
Do PAY ATTENTION to how each bulb disconnect is clocked. It makes it easier if you know what angle to put bulb in then twist to lock.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Ordered from Amazon.
Hi and Low Beam Headlights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088ZT28XY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Fog Lights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BCNDL74?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Reverse bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BCNDL74?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Youtube videos that helped me:

Note: I did NOT disconnect the battery. I did remove the two ground wires to give slightly more access.
The fog lights, I just laid down on the ground and twist and remove the bulbs.
Do PAY ATTENTION to how each bulb disconnect is clocked. It makes it easier if you know what angle to put bulb in then twist to lock.
the top video has an update because the bulbs burned up

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Right. You made a useless comment - because, as was explained in the very next post after his, he doesn't have any need whatsoever for RAM to do anything to his truck in order to use Comma. I got it!

It's apparent that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Carry on.

doug55579

Reaction score
A few long overdue interior upgrades. I got a Console Vault and changed to the red TRX ignition button. When that was done I added the bright pedal kit from Motrobe. Lastly, I changed the shifter knob cover, I am still up in the air if I like that or not.

Attachments

• tempImage4QTxiX.jpg
    tempImage4QTxiX.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 144
  • tempImageTljKv4.jpg
    tempImageTljKv4.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 142
  • tempImageZDI8xD.jpg
    tempImageZDI8xD.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 141

OrtnerSkore

Reaction score
Put in some Husky liners. Very nice and they fit perfect.

715T5Ozo7ZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OrtnerSkore

Reaction score
Nice, are these much better than oem
I was under the impression the liners on the limited serve double duty by removing the snap on carpet part, you end up with just the plastic liners, was I wrong?
These liners used the same snap-in place plugs the factory liners use. They snap in place and do not move.
The OEM liners that came with the truck are just not that good and leave a lot of area exposed. We do the beach a lot and OEM liners just will not cut it. If you spill a drink, a factory liner is not going to protect your carpet very well if it's a full drink.

I was going to order WeatherTech liners but read a post here about the Husky liners they were just as good without the high price. I agree!

I have learned so much and saved a lot of money from these forums.

Users who are viewing this thread