5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Cold Air Intake 5.7L

deepc6

Reaction score
I was able to find a new in box Mopar 77072428AC intake locally for cheap. Installed it on my 5.7 with Etorque, looks great, install was pretty easy any straight forwards.
78333be9a33dea849aae76f23d300f65.jpg

f9fed49453e65589894d0bb6f8bb69c6.jpg

514c4a3ad8b09d55afc1738c2030f6d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBLX

Reaction score
I can't wait to get one. Being that it is a "ram air" intake makes perfectly good sense for the improvement at higher speed. My Hayabusa had the same discussions about ram air... Last time I checked, you still can't measure the ram air affect on a dyne. Someone calculated that the ram air was worth about 10-15 hp at 180 mph on the Suzuki. With that being said, I'm sure its worth a little something on the big end. IMHO, if it did absolutely nothing, I don't think a manufacturer would install it. Hell, if I'm Ram, I wouldn't install it. I can make more in the aftermarket arena selling to the speed freaks like me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait to get one. Being that it is a "ram air" intake makes perfectly good sense for the improvement at higher speed. My Hayabusa had the same discussions about ram air... Last time I checked, you still can't measure the ram air affect on a dyne. Someone calculated that the ram air was worth about 10-15 hp at 180 mph on the Suzuki. With that being said, I'm sure its worth a little something on the big end. IMHO, if it did absolutely nothing, I don't think a manufacturer would install it. Hell, if I'm Ram, I wouldn't install it. I can make more in the aftermarket arena selling to the speed freaks like me.
It's not really a real "RamAir" in that it actually "Rams" air into the intake. It's a play on words with Ram truck and air intake.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's not really a real "RamAir" in that it actually "Rams" air into the intake. It's a play on words with Ram truck and air intake.
It actually is a ram air intake. It's an OTR style, and some of the air that's forced through the grille gets forced into the intake.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It actually is a ram air intake. It's an OTR style, and some of the air that's forced through the grille gets forced into the intake.
Except with grill shutters that prevent any "ram air" action above 35mph

DBLX

Reaction score
Interesting point that I didn't think about. I definitely nerd to take a look at the air flow path.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you know this for a fact, or is that your assumption? I'm pretty sure it pulls air from in front of the AGS, but I don't have a truck with one of these installed anymore. Maybe someone who has this intake can confirm if this is the case or not. But I think it would be a bit silly to design a ram intake to pull in air from behind grille shutters that restrict incoming air at speed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know this for a fact, or is that your assumption? I'm pretty sure it pulls air from in front of the AGS, but I don't have a truck with one of these installed anymore. Maybe someone who has this intake can confirm if this is the case or not. But I think it would be a bit silly to design a ram intake to pull in air from behind grille shutters that restrict incoming air at speed.
Yes, I know for a fact. It's basically a Vararam with a cover on top of it. There is still some air that gets to radiator under the grill shutters, but not enough I'd call it a Ram air effect. And even if you removed the grill shutters, I doubt there is enough air being forced into the intake to really be a true ram air. You will get outside air that hasn't been heated up by the engine, but that's about the only benefit. Unless there is positive pressure inside the airbox when driving, there is no added benefit, or "ram air" being forced into engine.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, I know for a fact. It's basically a Vararam with a cover on top of it. There is still some air that gets to radiator under the grill shutters, but not enough I'd call it a Ram air effect. And even if you removed the grill shutters, I doubt there is enough air being forced into the intake to really be a true ram air. You will get outside air that hasn't been heated up by the engine, but that's about the only benefit. Unless there is positive pressure inside the airbox when driving, there is no added benefit, or "ram air" being forced into engine.
Where did you obtain this fact? Personal experience, something you read, or are you making a SWAG? Nothing personal against you, but claiming something is a fact without anything to back it up isn't convincing for me, especially in a forum environment. I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention to where the intake air enters when I had one installed. You've peaked my interest on this now. I'll see if I can find time to remove the rad cover on the wife's Limited. I still have the intake from my truck, so I can temporarily fit it and see for myself. (y)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you obtain this fact? Personal experience, something you read, or are you making a SWAG? Nothing personal against you, but claiming something is a fact without anything to back it up isn't convincing for me, especially in a forum environment. I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention to where the intake air enters when I had one installed. You've peaked my interest on this now. I'll see if I can find time to remove the rad cover on the wife's Limited. I still have the intake from my truck, so I can temporarily fit it and see for myself. (y)
Own a Vararam and have seen a couple of the RamAir intakes in person. You're welcome to verify for yourself, but I know what I know.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Own a Vararam and have seen a couple of the RamAir intakes in person. You're welcome to verify for yourself, but I know what I know.
Verified for myself. I didn't even have to remove any covers to verify it. Sorry I doubted what you were saying. I don't understand why they would design it that way, but it is what it is I guess.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Verified for myself. I didn't even have to remove any covers to verify it. Sorry I doubted what you were saying. I don't understand why they would design it that way, but it is what it is I guess.
Because it was designed for looks and marketing. Not performance

lmike6453

Reaction score
Wouldn't upgrading the headers on the 5.7L be more beneficial than intake for the money all around (performance, sound, aesthetics)?
Air out from the engine seems to be more restrictive than air in, and headers are more restrictive than the stock exhaust.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wouldn't upgrading the headers on the 5.7L be more beneficial than intake for the money all around (performance, sound, aesthetics)?
Air out from the engine seems to be more restrictive than air in, and headers are more restrictive than the stock exhaust.
Huh?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If dynos are correct, I see up to 15hp gain from intake, yet up to 35hp gain from headers upgrade.
That's what I meant by my initial comment of why do intake before headers.

I was busting your balls, because you got it backwards. You said "and headers are more restrictive than the stock exhaust." You also said headers are more aesthetic. Headers are less restrictive than stock exhaust. I think most guys buy a ram air intake for it's aesthetics. Headers are not an aesthetic mod.

lmike6453

Reaction score
I was busting your balls, because you got it backwards. You said "and headers are more restrictive than the stock exhaust." You also said headers are more aesthetic. Headers are less restrictive than stock exhaust. I think most guys buy a ram air intake for it's aesthetics. Headers are not an aesthetic mod.
Ohhh haha dyslexia at its finest! Cheers

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Headers stand a greater chance of dealer voiding warranty, than an intake and harder to swap back to stock. Plus, to get real benefits of the headers, you will need a tune

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This was an interesting conversation. Certainly is a contradiction of equipment when one system seems to negate the other.
It doesn't "negate" it. There never really is a true "ram air" effect. Even if grills shutters are open. And when cruising down the road and highway speeds, the throttle body is barely open. The only time a ram air would really benefit would be full throttle at higher speeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/