5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS issues after TRX wheels and tire swap on laramie

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie, I found some TRX takeoffs, and installed them on my laramie. I am having issues getting the TPMS to work with my truck.
I have driven about 1000 miles with them and they still dont pick them up so I took it to discount tire today and he tried reading the TPMS sensors and of course he said those sensors arent an option for my year and make with his reader.
of course I got rid of my old wheels so i no longer have those. to do a swap with. (OOPS!)

I know its a longshot but does anyone have any ideas for alternatives other than installing new TPMS sensors at $60/tire?

IMG_6195.jpg

(pic for attention)

Last edited:

tom318

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie, I found some TRX takeoffs, and installed them on my laramie. I am having issues getting the TPMS to work with my truck.
I have driven about 1000 miles with them and they still dont pick them up so I took it to discount tire today and he tried reading the TPMS sensors and of course he said those sensors arent an option for my year and make with his reader.
of course I got rid of my old wheels so i no longer have those. to do a swap with. (OOPS!)

I know its a longshot but does anyone have any ideas for alternatives other than installing new TPMS sensors at $60/tire?

View attachment 135974

thanks!
Not sure there will be much you can do. Could check with discount tire if they would sell you the exact same PN sensor for your laramie or a TRX. I don't know if its true with some RAMs but I've run into issues with some BMWs in the past where they changed the sensors from year to year. I had a winter set that worked on a 2017 and 2013, but not a 2015......
If you have a TazerDT i think you can disable that all together but i think its a new feature to have. Also the tazerDT is $300+.

Reaction score
Not sure there will be much you can do. Could check with discount tire if they would sell you the exact same PN sensor for your laramie or a TRX. I don't know if its true with some RAMs but I've run into issues with some BMWs in the past where they changed the sensors from year to year. I had a winter set that worked on a 2017 and 2013, but not a 2015......
If you have a TazerDT i think you can disable that all together but i think its a new feature to have. Also the tazerDT is $300+.
yeah Discount tire said they will replace them for $60/tire, and may just have to go that route. figured I would ask on here first if someone else had run into this

Bigbags85

Reaction score
There's a ton of PNs out there for the TPMS sensors. I went to the dealer to get the actual part number for my truck and then found a set on ebay for way cheaper than going with the mopar store (and probably whatever any aftermarket place will charge for the sensors).

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. I bought 4 OEM sensors, part#68293199AA-AB, on eBay for $75 and they have worked flawlessly since I got them.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Are the sensors in the TRX wheels the same part number as the non TRX sensors?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
thats a great idea, question is how much did the tire place charge you to swap them out?

I had the sensors installed before I mounted my new tires, so I'm not sure what they would charge. I buy my tires at Discount and they have always been good about doing things like that, free of charge.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It may be worth getting another place to try to read the tpms sensors before you spend more money on new sensors.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are the sensors in the TRX wheels the same part number as the non TRX sensors?

I'm sure they are, but the issue is probably 2022 to 2021 differences, as it's a good chance the TRX takeoffs are from a 2022.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It may be worth getting another place to try to read the tpms sensors before you spend more money on new sensors.
I didn't see it as an issue with them not being able to read the sensors, but an incompatibility between the sensors and the truck. They may have switched to different TPMS sensors in 2022 and UC5.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't see it as an issue with them not being able to read the sensors, but an incompatibility between the sensors and the truck. They say have switched to different TPMS sensors in 2022 and UC5.
👆 I think this is the issue. i never knew what year the TRX takeoffs were off of. but I suspect you are right. i think i am just going to have to bite the bullet and do new sensors

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see it as an issue with them not being able to read the sensors, but an incompatibility between the sensors and the truck. They say have switched to different TPMS sensors in 2022 and UC5.
Edit: see you were mentioning the other way on MY.

Last edited:

Cards4L

Reaction score

View attachment 135974

(pic for attention)
I like the setup with the TRX wheels. I was thinking about getting a set TRX for my Built To Serve Edition. Can you give me the details (type of tires and size), did you level your truck or lifted?

rossvdm3

Reaction score
I bought trx takeoffs (that I don't believe have sensors) and want to put the tpm sensors from my 2023 rebel onto them. The tire shop guy says I can't remove the sensor from the valve stem...is that right? He wants me to buy a new set of tpms sensors with stem. I swore you could just unscrew it and then screw into the valve stem on the TRX wheels.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I bought trx takeoffs (that I don't believe have sensors) and want to put the tpm sensors from my 2023 rebel onto them. The tire shop guy says I can't remove the sensor from the valve stem...is that right? He wants me to buy a new set of tpms sensors with stem. I swore you could just unscrew it and then screw into the valve stem on the TRX wheels.

The sensor can be separated from the stem with a torx screw if the TRX wheels have the OEM style stems.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure the valve stems are different if they aren't the ones with factory TPMS sensors. But the sensors are separate part from the valve stems. How much is tire shop trying to charge for sensors?

rossvdm3

Reaction score
Pretty sure the valve stems are different if they aren't the ones with factory TPMS sensors. But the sensors are separate part from the valve stems. How much is tire shop trying to charge for sensors?
True. The thing is that i don't know what valve stems are in the trx wheels. They might be oem, or they could be aftermarket if they took the whole thing out.

I would buy oem sensors/valves on ebay for like $50 total. They were charging $25 per tire to swap the sensors...but now that I think about it, they might want to charge me for 8 tires, so maybe new sensors would make sense if they only have to open up 4. So many unknowns...I might as well just buy the new sensors.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I have a set of Rebel wheels/tires that the original owner removed the OEM sensors and left the factory stems in the wheels.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set of Rebel wheels/tires that the original owner removed the OEM sensors and left the factory stems in the wheels.
Yes, it happens. Nobody knows if this is the case for the OP though

Users who are viewing this thread