5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Body/Rocker Rust From Running Boards

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Running boards were looking a little tired and the brackets were showing signs of rust. So I took them off to repaint. I was not expecting to see body rust under the brackets though. Looks like I have some wire wheel and painting in my future. Anyone else seen this issue? Solutions to prevent?

Then while down there I saw rocker seems starting to rust. This is unrelated to the brackets. Only 55k on the truck. Disappointed for sure. Good thing is this part should be covered under warranty at least. Kind of tempted to line x the rockers. B511F6F8-EAE3-4EF7-991E-3082892345E1.jpeg D8839875-6380-464C-BC9B-B91C7ADE8A25.jpeg ACC610BF-A25B-462C-ADAD-0DE92E0F2622.jpeg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Honestly looks like surface rust, I would inspect and make sure it's just on the surface, where the running board bracket rubbed the paint and water got in there.

If confirmed just on the surface, I would scrub off and paint with some rattle can.

There isn't much you can do in regards to painted metal, once it rubs off it's going to rust. The Line-X would probably work if so inclined.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Paint is bubbled unfortunately so wire wheel and paint is going to have to happen. Just looking more for solutions to prevent in the future.

Obviously no paint creates rust. But less than 3 years and only 55k. Seems crazy to happen that fast.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Add clear protective film between the bracket and body once you’ve re painted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Paint is bubbled unfortunately so wire wheel and paint is going to have to happen. Just looking more for solutions to prevent in the future.

Obviously no paint creates rust. But less than 3 years and only 55k. Seems crazy to happen that fast.

I've seen worse. I've seen nearly new trucks with rust like that, even on the frame where it makes contact with the lift and it rubs off.

You could maybe once every couple of years, remove the running boards and clean/paint the area again. If you go with Line-X, a more permanent solution, make sure they fully remove the rust before spraying.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Add clear protective film between the bracket and body once you’ve re painted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be helpful if water can’t get at that paint it should prevent it.

Users who are viewing this thread