5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter (Hurricane) Inline-Six-Cylinder (H.O.) Engine - Specifications!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I imagine sales will dictate the future of the Hemi. If people flock to the new engine and Hemi sales soften significantly, it could be dropped or at least no longer improved.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder what the timeline is? Like, when we will actually see order banks open for the 3.0LT engine in the Ram?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine sales will dictate the future of the Hemi. If people flock to the new engine and Hemi sales soften significantly, it could be dropped or at least no longer improved.
Along the same lines, I’m wondering how they will convince people that the added complexity will be worth the small bump in output over the hemi. If the Hurricane was a true hybrid then it would a game changer for the 1500, but that’s not happening.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Along the same lines, I’m wondering how they will convince people that the added complexity will be worth the small bump in output over the hemi. If the Hurricane was a true hybrid then it would a game changer for the 1500, but that’s not happening.

The standard output has 420hp/468 lb-ft of torque. That's 25 more hp & 58 more torque, while getting slightly better mpg than the current 5.7L Hemi. Which could be enough for some traditionalist and probably enough for those who aren't.

However, the purpose of the Hurricane is that it was specifically designed to be part of future hybrid powertrain systems within Stellantis. Which is going to be an option in cars like the Charger/Challenger. It's logical it will likely find it's way into the next gen RAM or even within the lifetime of the DT gen.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The standard output has 420hp/468 lb-ft of torque. That's 25 more hp & 58 more torque, while getting slightly better mpg than the current 5.7L Hemi. Which could be enough for some traditionalist and probably enough for those who aren't.

However, the purpose of the Hurricane is that it was specifically designed to be part of future hybrid powertrain systems within Stellantis. Which is going to be an option in cars like the Charger/Challenger. It's logical it will likely find it's way into the next gen RAM or even within the lifetime of the DT gen.
I hope so- I’d love a true hybrid full size truck.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hope so- I’d love a true hybrid full size truck.

An actual hybrid RAM is enough for me to actually get over my love of that V8 sound.

A RAM Rebel Hurricane with hybrid, yes please. A real good alternative to the uncooked EVs we are likely to have coming our way.

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
Wish this engine would have come to one of the plants in the states instead of Mexico.

Phoon

Reaction score
Interesting. I see some good features, and some very good features.

But then something caught my eye (edited for brevity).
cast-aluminum block with <snip> plasma spray-bore coated cylinders.
Does that mean what I think it does? Aluminum cylinders?
So I infer that this block cannot be bored or rebuilt (unless you happen to have a plasma bore coating booth lying around). Hmmm...

And I was hoping for a better integrated hybrid system, maybe with a chain drive instead of the wimpy belt band-aid used on e-torque. But the alleged hybrid version of the engine is, what, cancelled? Hmmm...

And it sounds like Stellantis might be planning this to be a replacement for all the Hemi's. Hmmm...

I think the resale value of my normally aspirated 5.7 might be going up.
When is the last time you did a full rebuild of an engine block in a late model truck? With hemi's and LS motors it is very rare, usually it is far less expensive to get another complete motor from the junk yard, especially if you are talking a full re-bore with new pistons etc. This new motor will likely become very common over the next 10 years- so by the time they need a rebuild off of warranty there will be lots of them to replace any that blow up.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When is the last time you did a full rebuild of an engine block in a late model truck?
I take your point, but I'm betting aluminum cylinders wear out a lot faster. Several makers have tried over the years and it hasn't been pretty.

Briggs & Stratton tried with their "kool bore" engines and the stain on their reputation almost killed them. They tried to come back with steel sleeves in their I/C engines, which are okay but really just a return to normal, and they never regained the market dominance they once enjoyed.

And who remembers General Motors' high silicon alloy and "special honing process" in the Vega engines? The scrap metal market enjoyed a supply of worn out high silicon engine blocks, while GM backed away quietly. Seen one of those that runs lately?

Looks like disposable technology to me...

Phoon

Reaction score
I take your point, but I'm betting aluminum cylinders wear out a lot faster. Several makers have tried over the years and it hasn't been pretty.

Briggs & Stratton tried with their "kool bore" engines and the stain on their reputation almost killed them. They tried to come back with steel sleeves in their I/C engines, which are okay but really just a return to normal, and they never regained the market dominance they once enjoyed.

And who remembers General Motors' high silicon alloy and "special honing process" in the Vega engines? The scrap metal market enjoyed a supply of worn out high silicon engine blocks, while GM backed away quietly. Seen one of those that runs lately?

I guess it remains to be seen, I like my Hemi but this new motor family seems very promising. I believe the bmw B58 and S58 motors have a similar configuration and seem to be great motors so far, even when tuned.

jimchi

Reaction score

Aluminum LS blocks have been common for a long time now, albeit with iron alloy cylinder liners. Ford’s current 5.0 V8 has been aluminum block with the plasma spray liner since it’s inception, on the Mustang at least.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford’s current 5.0 V8 has been aluminum block with the plasma spray liner since it’s inception, on the Mustang at least.
Something I'll probably never own. If ultimate power to mass ratio was more important to me than longevity, I could see it.

Runagun

Reaction score
Anything that requires premium fuel I personally will stay away from.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hurricane SO 10.4:1
Hurricane HO 9.5:1
Hemi 2009-up 10.5:1

I think because of the turbos lower compression actually produces more power than the Hemi does and it has higher compression.

Yep - lower compression to optimize performance with forced induction.

In my opinion, an engine’s longevity is directly related to the quality of its design and production, not necessarily its specific output (except in extreme cases).

I remember my 1st-gen (BMW) MINI had a bottom end that was good for 40+ psi without modification. That’s a lot, and those were popular engines for “twincharging” as a result.

Roger that. FWIW, the 6.7L Cummins HO has a lower compression ratio (16.2:1) than the SO (19:1) (different pistons), more boost and modified tuning.

Audi 2.7T V6 is another example of a great stock engine that can take way more boost than it got from the factory. Many are running up to 600HP on stock internals.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Looks like the engine is running 22lbs of boost. That's a bit much for my tastes.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds about right to get 8-litre class power from a 3-litre block.
Reliability remains to be seen, but if it blows up, could be impressive.;)

2jzDave

Reaction score
Looks like the engine is running 22lbs of boost. That's a bit much for my tastes.

Boost pressure is not as relevant as airflow. 22psi from those tiny turbos is not much lbs/hr of airflow compared to a large turbo. A large turbo at 15psi would flow way more volume than those tiny turbos do at 22psi.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Boost pressure is not as relevant as airflow. 22psi from those tiny turbos is not much lbs/hr of airflow compared to a large turbo. A large turbo at 15psi would flow way more volume than those tiny turbos do at 22psi.

Maaan it's not for me.
Small displacement gas turbos in a fullsize truck isn't my format.

I gotta say I'm very concerned for the Stellantis brands.
No hemi in the charger/challenger?
The charger is one thing but if there's no V8 in the challenger platform, yikes.

I don't know if they understand that the "old"/"heavy" challenger platform basically exists on the back of horsepower and tradition.
The guys, the rebels who buy those cars are holdouts.
They are not a Ford Taurus SHO buyer, they're not a Tesla buyer.
If forced to buy a new car in the future, I honestly believe they're more likely to go to a Ford Mustang with a V8 in that platform, than they are to buy an E-VEE or i6 turbo challenger.

I have my concerns. I know in 2022 a lot of people aren't "car people", and the subarus and the toyota going to an ecoboost-style and all that I know I know.
In terms of the *Dodge challenger* buyer, I really believe those guys are the hold outs, and if the corporate knuckleheads at Stellantis really believe THOSE people in the market will simply buy it because it says Dodge, they are, IMHO dramatically over-estimating their brand loyalty.

A brand is a promise. A promise that the maker has to live up to, a 2 way street.
If they stop living up to that promise, the buyer's loyalty goes with it.

TLDR: Netherlands based Euro-company doesn't understand (or care about?) one of the buyers of its products, is slated to make VERY risky move

Phoon

Reaction score
Maaan it's not for me.
Small displacement gas turbos in a fullsize truck isn't my format.

I gotta say I'm very concerned for the Stellantis brands.
No hemi in the charger/challenger?
The charger is one thing but if there's no V8 in the challenger platform, yikes.

I don't know if they understand that the "old"/"heavy" challenger platform basically exists on the back of horsepower and tradition.
The guys, the rebels who buy those cars are holdouts.
They are not a Ford Taurus SHO buyer, they're not a Tesla buyer.
If forced to buy a new car in the future, I honestly believe they're more likely to go to a Ford Mustang with a V8 in that platform, than they are to buy an E-VEE or i6 turbo challenger.

I have my concerns. I know in 2022 a lot of people aren't "car people", and the subarus and the toyota going to an ecoboost-style and all that I know I know.
In terms of the *Dodge challenger* buyer, I really believe those guys are the hold outs, and if the corporate knuckleheads at Stellantis really believe THOSE people in the market will simply buy it because it says Dodge, they are, IMHO dramatically over-estimating their brand loyalty.

A brand is a promise. A promise that the maker has to live up to, a 2 way street.
If they stop living up to that promise, the buyer's loyalty goes with it.

TLDR: Netherlands based Euro-company doesn't understand (or care about?) one of the buyers of its products, is slated to make VERY risky move
You have to remember that Dodge and Ram have been under European ownership since 2014. (FCA). Everyone was terrified that it would be the end of iconic American performance but some of the best muscle cars jeeps and trucks were developed since that merger. The world is a changing place, and dodge can't just stuff hellcats in the same cars for ever and expect to succeed. I for one am hopeful about the future of the company. They are not jumping on the all electric bandwagon, and these new motors should be a great way to keep gas burners alive. Can't wait to see this new motor in the Ram 1500 and hopefully a gladiator mojave.

Users who are viewing this thread