5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any high mileage diesels, how are they holding up?

RedFred

Reaction score
Still shopping for my 5th gen 1500. Sometimes I think maybe I should be considering a diesel. I don't tow, but I do commute about 80 miles, round trip, a day. Half of it highway. I had a friend who had bought a new 4th gen diesel a few years back. Of course the motor blew up and needed to be replaced. I drove his truck once, but don't really recall what my impressions were. Anyone have a high mileage 5th gen diesel? Any issues? I am hoping the motors blowing up are a thing of the past. I have heard a lot of horror stories with the 4th gen truck diesels, but haven't really heard much in regards to the 5th gen. Should I be considering a diesel? I know about the more expensive oil changes and filter, anything else I should be worries about?

RedFred

Reaction score
Any diesel owners with a lot of miles? Want to know if anyone experienced any issues or expensive repairs along the way. Can I expect to reach 150k-200k miles without issue? Any help or words of wisdom are appreciated.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only got 30K on my 2021 Laramie. Doing that much of a commute, look into getting a Comma3 from Comma.ai. The
Truck needs Adaptive Cruise and Lane keep Assist, but it will drive itself Similar to a Tesla. We are Still working on Steer
to 0 MPH. The RAM is the First Truck that is supported. The also support about 150 models of Cars.

Don't forget the GDE Tune on the Ecodiesel. It will get you 305 HP, 560ft/lbs of torque, and with the trans tune another 7-10% better fuel Mileage.

Comma.ai Thread:

Join the Discord:

Attachments​

• MirrorMounFront.jpg
    MirrorMounFront.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 23
  • MirrorMountRear.jpg
    MirrorMountRear.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 22
  • MirrorMount1.jpg
    MirrorMount1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 22

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any diesel owners with a lot of miles? Want to know if anyone experienced any issues or expensive repairs along the way. Can I expect to reach 150k-200k miles without issue? Any help or words of wisdom are appreciated.
I don’t have a lot of miles on mine, but general diesel maintenance guidelines apply here. Use high-quality, high volume fuel. Use a lubricity additive with every fill up. Use the proper low-ash oil, and change your oil frequently. Change your fuel filter at the recommended intervals. My opinion: use bluedef platinum. There was a member named on ram1500diesel (VernDiesel IIRC) who proved that it kept the def injector tip and surrounding area clean. That was enough for me to use it from day 1. Technically, the first tank was a 50/50 mix of bludef regular and bluedef platinum.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 68,000km on mine and no issues. I love it. I do almost all highway driving and right now I'm averaging about 28+ MPG.

I haven't heard many issues with the 3rd gen ecodiesel, some issues with timing cover leaks and other minor things but overall I haven't heard much.

I do my own maintenance because dealers will overcharge you like crazy for diesel maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Midnight2020

Reaction score

I got to about 220k before any major issues. Got the engine rebuilt then. Just had some more major issues at 330k. Probably donezo.

Edit: Sorry, not 5th gen lol

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got to about 220k before any major issues. Got the engine rebuilt then. Just had some more major issues at 330k. Probably donezo.
What generation ecodiesel?

RedFred

Reaction score

Edit: Sorry, not 5th gen lol

I see you also just recently joined the forum. I'm guessing you will be shopping for a truck soon? Is so, going with another eco diesel?

jent

Reaction score
Is this a must-do? Are most guys using an additive at fill up? I never heard about lubricity additive.
Not a must, but I do. A little insurance for the CP4 high pressure fuel pump. Biodiesel actually will give you better lubrication than any additive. But more than B5 and you need to increase your oil change frequency.

My additive also increases cethane which helps for less soot production too. Soot is my personal biggest fear with the ED. But I wouldn't trade it for any other engine.

RedFred

Reaction score
djevox and jent, thanks for that info. I'm still learning about this eco diesel. I'm not sure if I am going to make the jump, but mpg and being able to go long time between fuel fill ups is intriguing to me. I never had a diesel but my dad owned a VW Golf diesel when I was a kid, that he used to commute back and forth to work. I learned to drive manual on that car, lol. I know it's not the same thing, but he got a lot of miles out of that car.

wjcook68

Reaction score
RedFred, I know what you mean about the old VW diesels! I had a TDI. I would always tell my friends with their gasser motors to watch out! I have 1.8 Liters of Crisco Burning Fury! Lol

I just purchased a 2022 EcoDiesel. I am only a little over a 1,000 miles in but I am very, happy with it so far. My commute is only 50 miles round trip but I am averaging right around 28mpg. My Jeep gasser only got 18mpg so I am really happy so far.

Good Luck on whatever you choose.
Wayne

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
djevox and jent, thanks for that info. I'm still learning about this eco diesel. I'm not sure if I am going to make the jump, but mpg and being able to go long time between fuel fill ups is intriguing to me. I never had a diesel but my dad owned a VW Golf diesel when I was a kid, that he used to commute back and forth to work. I learned to drive manual on that car, lol. I know it's not the same thing, but he got a lot of miles out of that car.
So you know, I was on the fence also in August of 2021 on gas vs diesel. I bought a ‘21 non-etorque hemi Laramie (still in my avatar pic). I put 9900 miles on it in 4 months before trading it in on a ‘22 laramie ecodiesel. It looks the exact same as the hemi (including wheels and ride height), except the ‘22 has different running boards and a panoramic roof. The hemi mpg was 15.2 after 9900mi. The ecodiesel is at ~15,000mi, and my lifetime average was 27.2 as of the last fillup (both pen & paper method of logging mpg). I don’t regret the change one bit. I HATE paying for fuel, and I now have a big azz truck that gets 1.1mpg average better than my 2.0T Honda Accord.

Midnight2020

Reaction score
I see you also just recently joined the forum. I'm guessing you will be shopping for a truck soon? Is so, going with another eco diesel?

I actually just bought a 2020 5.7L Big Horn. I was looking at going Eco Diesel, but being as my previous truck blew a gasket and the tranny, I'm not getting much money for it lol. So I decided to go the cheaper route. I am enjoying it so far.

RedFred

Reaction score
So you know, I was on the fence also in August of 2021 on gas vs diesel. I bought a ‘21 non-etorque hemi Laramie (still in my avatar pic). I put 9900 miles on it in 4 months before trading it in on a ‘22 laramie ecodiesel. It looks the exact same as the hemi (including wheels and ride height), except the ‘22 has different running boards and a panoramic roof. The hemi mpg was 15.2 after 9900mi. The ecodiesel is at ~15,000mi, and my lifetime average was 27.2 as of the last fillup (both pen & paper method of logging mpg). I don’t regret the change one bit. I HATE paying for fuel, and I now have a big azz truck that gets 1.1mpg average better than my 2.0T Honda Accord.

Those mpg numbers sound pretty good. I usually average between 17-19mpg with my hemi, commuting back and forth to work. So I would think 27+ could be doable for me with the eco d. I would love to find a eco diesel with the 33 gallon tank. That would save me even more trips to the gas station. Doing a search, I can't find that combo anywhere near me.

Taking mpg out of the equation. As far as driving impressions, do you prefer driving one over the other, as far as hemi vs ed? Is there much difference, or pros and cons to each? Or would you say they are comparable enough where it's basically a coin toss.

bucolic

Reaction score
Those mpg numbers sound pretty good. I usually average between 17-19mpg with my hemi, commuting back and forth to work. So I would think 27+ could be doable for me with the eco d. I would love to find a eco diesel with the 33 gallon tank. That would save me even more trips to the gas station. Doing a search, I can't find that combo anywhere near me.

Taking mpg out of the equation. As far as driving impressions, do you prefer driving one over the other, as far as hemi vs ed? Is there much difference, or pros and cons to each? Or would you say they are comparable enough where it's basically a coin toss.

27+ MPG is easily doable with the 3.21 gears in the Eco Diesel. I have hit as high as 31.8 MPG on a 500 Mile round trip averaging 60 mph. It's amazing the mileage these can get.

As for the driving experience, I much prefer it over the Hemi. As I have gotten older I am less rowdy and the Eco Diesel just glides along silently at highway speeds and is amazingly comfortable. I have owned 3 hemis' and then this eco diesel and it rides better than a $100,000 Cadillac. It's so comfortable and smooth you would think it's Electric!

Absolutely get the 33-gallon tank. To fill up and see over 900 miles of Range is comforting! If you tow the 33-gallon tank is must have in my opinion.
And speaking of towing this out tows the Hemi with ease. Ok, maybe I should say tows way more comfortably than the Hemi. Much lower RPMs, no screaming RPMS like the Hemi requires and just gets the job done. Plus you pick up 2-3 MPG more while towing which is huge.

I am not hating on the Hemi at all as it is an amazing driving experience also but not quite as amazing as the Eco-Diesel if you want a luxury driving experience. If you want a sportier, more raucous ride then get the Hemi and throw on a cat back system, and have at it!

As for long-term ownership, I am on the fence on that part. The Hemi is much simpler and maintenance surely will be less. I do fear if the EcoDiesel has an out-of-warranty engine issue it could be very expensive. For that reason, I won't keep this vehicle after the drivetrain warranty expires and trade it at about that time point. By then maybe there will be an electric ram with 1000 mile normal range and 600 miles of towing range!

Good luck in your search!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded in my 2020 with over 74000km on it a couple of month back for an identically built 2022.

Only issue I had related with the diesel side of a things was a bad def level sensor that required the entire def tank to be replaced, took a few weeks to get the new tank and no rentals/loaners were available in town at the time so it was a bit of a pain.

I also run hotshot secrets EDT on each fillup and the extreme for one tank at each oil change(10000km approx). No issues and good mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread