5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not a Ram, then what?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I probably could of done more research on it but my dealer was like yeah when you get it we are going to charge you a 20K mark up. He wasn’t too happy when I cancelled on my allocation him.
**** these dealers and their BS markups on custom orders.

Runagun

Reaction score
I probably could of done more research on it but my dealer was like yeah when you get it we are going to charge you a 20K mark up. He wasn’t too happy when I cancelled on my allocation him.
Yeah I hope those dealers that do that, days are numbered. My bro is suppose to get his lightning next month. His dealer sends him a message that they're are going to hit him with a 2k surcharge. 2k on a 93k truck isn't much but it's the principle that kills. I'm not no Ford guy by any means. I still take Ram over Ford anyway. But the joy of driving electric I'm ready to go that route.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I hope those dealers that do that, days are numbered. My bro is suppose to get his lightning next month. His dealer sends him a message that they're are going to hit him with a 2k surcharge. 2k on a 93k truck isn't much but it's the principle that kills. I'm not no Ford guy by any means. I still take Ram over Ford anyway. But the joy of driving electric I'm ready to go that route.
recently saw a video of a level lighting on 34's
not bad but I still don't like the front. The test drive after the lift and tires reduced the range from 231 to 195 miles or so.
So not terrible
but with the prices and mark ups not for me at the moment.
Will se what ram comes up with

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I was raised a GM guy and I still love their stuff. The 6.2/10spd combo is incredible. If I left Ram, it'd be back to GM and probably the Sierra. The facelifted model is sharp and the new interior is a huge improvement even if it does have a dumb console shifter. But, I love my Ram. So no need to shop around.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I guess to be clear, I don't want another vehicle, I love my RAM. I took the title of the thread to mean if I didn't have a RAM for a choice, what would it be. I would still keep a RAM. But what I would change about my particular RAM is I wish I would have been more patient and got a Night Edition. Mine has enough chrome to blind someone three states away. I hate it. I would get a 2022 in Patriot Blue (I'm a Navy veteran) plus Night Edition.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had to right now, I'd be upgrading to a HeavyDuty truck, most likely a Ford Superduty SuperCrew with the 7.3L gasser.

IMHO, RAM's exterior slightly edges out the Ford's, but the 6.4L just can't touch the 7.3L. I don't want to deal with a diesel. Interiors are a wash to me and Ford's infotainment is waaayyyy better than Uconnect. The Chevys exterior are damn ugly, their infotainment is crap, and the 6.2L also can't touch the 7.3L of the Ford .

I'd ofcourse research and test drive all of them before actually purchasing, so the order might change.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm typically a Ford guy - I still love my REAL Lightning, that being the 1999-2004 SVT Lightning, not that new electric truck they put the name on. However, before 2021, their interiors were crap compared to RAM. But with the updated interior and engine options, I would look at Ford again. That PowerBoost with 571 lb-ft of torque along with being able to pump 240v to your house makes it pretty damn cool.
I’m thinking 2025 might be a cool time for Ford trucks with that planned MY change. Guess time will tell.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pricing. I was actually going to trade my 21 Laramie in for a built 22 Raptor since I could build one for the same price as a Ram Limited. But then after telling me they wouldn’t markup, the Ford manager came back with a 15k markup from the build price after we printed everything out. So I went to their Ram dealership in Pacific, MO (under the same umbrella Dave Sinclair) & they offered me the Ram Limited 8% below invoice & some other goodies so it was a no brainer. I’d consider the GMC higher trims if they had any deals but they didn’t. Still think the Silverado is ugly. We didn’t really like the new Tundra we test drove although I wanted to - haven’t tested their hybrid motor bc it wasn’t available. The TRX was just out of my price range of what I wanted to spend & ultimately smooth suspension was my goal with my back the way it is so I’m really happy with the Limited so far.

Still plan on auctioning the Jeep to buy a Civic Type R as the second vehicle, but that’s a different discussion that belongs to a different forum.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve found that factory backed isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be anyway due to too many variables. The dealer itself, how competent they are with reporting to manufacturer, the manufacturer itself, how we choose to modify (or not modify) our vehicles.

Personally, I got a better warranty than what Mopar offers this time around with better approval ratings & fortunately had both reviews as well as speaking firsthand to locals with the same warranty on how easy it was/is to work with this particular dealer that carries their warranties through CNA.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I were to go buy another truck right now, I would get my Rebel with 360 camera and lane assist.

If Ram weren't an option it would be a Sting Gray Gladiator, Max Tow Sport S or Rubicon.

kdawg

Reaction score
For those considering the Lightning, I hope you wouldn't be towing with it long distance as the range looks pathetic.

This is a good vid to watch:

For me, doing long roads trips and driving across the country I can't imagine anything more comfortable than my Ram and the range I get with the EcoDiesel.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For those considering the Lightning, I hope you wouldn't be towing with it long distance as the range looks pathetic.

This is a good vid to watch:

For me, doing long roads trips and driving across the country I can't imagine anything more comfortable than my Ram and the range I get with the EcoDiesel.
90 mile range towing a travel trailer?🤣
Then almost an hour charging and not even at 75%?😲

Remind me to never travel in a group with somebody driving an EV. They would for sure be left behind.🙄

Goldsy

Reaction score
I came from a Titan and would probably buy another one if Nissan would ever bring their interior tech to something more modern. Loved the power of that truck and how it drove and handled. I wasn't a fan of the Tundra when I test drove it. Ram had Ford beat in tech at the time. The Silverado was nice to drive too but just didn't have the power of the hemi.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Since I just bought mine, I can clearly say Ram.

I shopped a pretty big segment of vehicles that can tow and haul a family. 3-row SUVs made my list, too.
F150, Expedition
Tundra, Sequoia
Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
Ram, Durango, Grand Cherokee L
Titan, Armada

I needed an all-rounder. Good on road trips, good for daily, towing, good storage/features, good interface, good looks, luxury feel without spending too much money. Something that I've earned with age but also functional. I was also looking for half-way decent fuel economy: I knew big vehicles aren't known for their MPGs, but I set out for one that would out-class the rest.

1st Place: Ram 1500. Best looking all around and best features. Most modern looking and driving. Best fuel economy with the EcoDiesel. I did a lot of homework on the reliability of the DT and the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel and found that it was one of the top rated for reliability. I can also attest, the EcoDiesel is one of the best engines I've ever towed with in a 1500.
1657282427256.png

2nd Place: New Tundra/Sequoia. Good looks (IMO). Modern features, modern looks, dependable, fairly luxiourous, and powerful. I always avoid first-model-years, let them iron out all the bugs: like this one. What put me off was that the new engine didn't hit the mark. I'm fine with it being V6, I'm fine with it being Turbo, I'm fine with it being Hybrid. But if you're going to build a V6 Twin Turbo Hybrid, super crazy mad-scientist ground-up build for the future of your company....why's it only getting 22mpg combined? The engine is the biggest failure, in my book.
1657287260150.png

3rd Place: F150/Expedition. I've never been a fan of Ford and I still call them Found On Road Dead. But I think all 3 of their trucks are worth considering. Comfortable, Functional, Modern, I can respect that they've put a lot of time and effort into their best-selling product. The Engine Choices are also pretty good. I simply don't think it's as refined as the other trucks.
1657287949642.png

4th Place: Titan/Armada. 4th and 5th place was a toss-up. I've been a Nissan fan all my life and I still enjoy my Frontier. Despite Nissan's funding problems, the Titan continues to look good and be good value for the money. It's a tough and reliable work truck built on a solid foundation, it'll last a nuclear war. The only problem is it's ancient. It's an uncomfortable ride, gas guzzler, ancient infotainment system. It has my favorite interior, aside from the screen looking like it's from 2012.
1657288372946.png

5th Place: Silverado/Suburban. I've been a Chevy fan, but somehow they always miss the mark. I think the Silverado is the ugliest thing they've ever made. It's boxy and clunky looking, every model looks like a Fleet truck. The interior is too inconsistent per model, but I don't like most I've seen, again, the interior looks like a fleet vehicle. Chevy has also struggled with initial quality and reliability, lately. Although I would consider their 3.0 Diesel Silverado/Suburban, I'm concerned I would have a lot of problems down the road.

1657288709095.png

6th Place: Durango/G.Cherokee L. I'm being hard on them because Stellantis doesn't offer a good SUV alternative to the Ram 1500. I really did want a good tow-capable 3-row SUV as my next car and because I was so impressed by the Ram EcoDiesel, I really wanted a comparable SUV. The L is especially nice inside and out, but it lacks the capability and the Diesel option that would've made me pull the trigger on one. They both sit on the line between nailing it and then suddenly remembering it's geared toward soccer moms.
1657289758316.png

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I came from a Titan and would probably buy another one if Nissan would ever bring their interior tech to something more modern. Loved the power of that truck and how it drove and handled. I wasn't a fan of the Tundra when I test drove it. Ram had Ford beat in tech at the time. The Silverado was nice to drive too but just didn't have the power of the hemi.
Except Nissan is discontinuing the Titan. RIP Titan.

Users who are viewing this thread