5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just received this email this morning. Probably for my old 2015 (2014-2019) but we'll see if it gets expanded. It' currently doesn't apply to my 2020 VIN.

Safety Issue Type: Recalls June 09 2022 NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V406000
High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure Fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of drive power, increasing the risk of a crash.

Attachments

• NHTSA_Safety_Issues.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 80

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t say it’s surprising. This issue is consistent regardless of manufacturer since the introduction of ULSD.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The astringent nature of ULSD fuels is why I've always used a lubricating additive to my diesels.

I'm not sure if there's a mechanical/engineering solution to run a pump in ULSD without burning out seals.

jent

Reaction score
The astringent nature of ULSD fuels is why I've always used a lubricating additive to my diesels.

I'm not sure if there's a mechanical/engineering solution to run a pump in ULSD without burning out seals.

Using biodiesel can notably improve lubrication, likely better than any additive. So far I almost always use B5 to B20. Though I still use an additive to demulsify water and improve cethane.

macmedia

Reaction score
Don't know if it is related but my 2020 ecodiesel 1500 died in the middle of the freeway and I could not get it started again. Was towed to the dealership and they replaced both the low and high pressure pumps. They found fine metal shavings in the lines and so FCA recommended that they replace the injectors as well. That was at 37k miles. Now at 66k miles, my EGR is stuck closed with fuel leaking. It's been frustrating dealing with this (and coming from Toyota that never visited the dealer for issues).

Rhombus

Reaction score
Every tank I pour in a bottle of Alliant Power ULTRAGUARD Diesel Fuel Treatment. I buy it a case of 14 1/2 pints at a time, and each bottle has a nice long neck for the fuel filler. Roughly the same specs as Stanodyne.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just received this email this morning. Probably for my old 2015 (2014-2019) but we'll see if it gets expanded. It' currently doesn't apply to my 2020 VIN.

High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure Fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of drive power, increasing the risk of a crash.
It must be for the previous generation engine, it’s weird that they show the recall for the Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2014 to 2020, I thought the Diesel engine wasn’t available after 2018, I did do a search and that’s what it said, 2018 was the last year for the Diesel engine.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I check Moparparts.com and the fuel pump for my Rebel is #68501449AA and it fits all Ecodiesel since 2014 but that part number replaces four other part numbers that has been in existence so obviously there have been changes to the pump. It lists at $1380 US. Hopefully it will last a long time.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
Looks like more vehicles are getting added to the Z96 recall. I just checked the Mopar site and mine is now included as of 10/13/22. I have a 2020 Bighorn.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score

OH Well. The recall showed up for my truck on Mopar. com today.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The best part is there's still no approved fix, or any fix at all yet.

Wtray

Reaction score
Yup, mine just showed up as well for 21 ECO.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know if it is related but my 2020 ecodiesel 1500 died in the middle of the freeway and I could not get it started again. Was towed to the dealership and they replaced both the low and high pressure pumps. They found fine metal shavings in the lines and so FCA recommended that they replace the injectors as well. That was at 37k miles. Now at 66k miles, my EGR is stuck closed with fuel leaking. It's been frustrating dealing with this (and coming from Toyota that never visited the dealer for issues).

Yeah now imagine that fuel system failure happened out of warranty and you had to come up with $12k or whatever the going rate is for that repair these days. It's terrifying. One of the reasons I didn't stay with the diesel.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
With it being a recall, even if it happened out of warranty wouldn't FCA be required to cover it now?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like my old truck a 2020 rebel with the ecodiesel was added to this recall on October 13. I would expect my new truck to be added at some point in time once supply catches up.

AntiFreeze

Reaction score
Same here, Oct 13 is the date of the recall for my 21 EcoD.
Does anyone know if they will install the CP3 in place of CP4.2 or what?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is recalling certain 2020 to 2022 Jeep Wrangler and Ram 1500, and 2021 and 2022 Jeep Gladiator
vehicles, equipped with 3.0L diesel engines. The high-pressure fuel pump could fail prematurely, allowing component debris to
enter the fuel system, where it may cause fuel starvation and stalling.

Documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicate both that the stall could happen without warning
and that the driver may see a warning light on the dash or hear noise from underhood. The action involves 60,413 vehicles.

FCA not aware of any crashes or injuries related to this condition. However, it has recorded over 200 related warranty claims.

Owner notification letters are scheduled to be mailed Dec. 2, 2022. The company expects the recall to launch in the second quarter of 2023.

So next summer to get it addressed.
Malodave

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well the good news is hopefully they will install a CP3 and there will be a lifetime warranty of some sort on the new pump since this is a known issue.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is involved in changing the HPFP in these trucks?

Does the engine have to be pulled, or can it be swapped in situ?

Users who are viewing this thread