5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox Keyhole

NCRebel

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an overlay for the key hole on the ramboxes? I have a black truck and shiny silver key holes I would like to put a black overlay on.

Maritimer0021

Reaction score
+1 on this accessory. I’d like to cover mine also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone else would try.

I'm going to try a few things and report back what works.

FYI the locks are electronic so if your battery is dead you can only get into your driver door and ramboxes with your key (inside your fob).

All other doors don't have keyslots and or are electronic locks (can't open tailgate or MFT with a dead battery)

tolh13

Reaction score
Maybe as easy as masking off the area and some black spray paint?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
plastidip
And what exactly do you think you're going to plastidip?
Do you even have Ramboxes like OP is referring to? We are talking about a keyhole inside the Rambox painted plastic pannel.

I bought these caps and they aren't a perfect fit but it hides most of it.

I'm going to let 1 sit for a bit and see how it removes (has 2 sided 3m tape)
If it doesn't appear to be ruining the lock I will take the others and try painting them to match the truck with the touch-up primer and paint I have.

2022-06-20 10.40.31.jpg 2022-06-20 10.40.38.jpg 2022-06-20 10.40.51.jpg 2022-06-20 10.41.01.jpg 2022-06-20 10.41.09.jpg

satcomtim

Reaction score
Do you even have Ramboxes like OP is referring to? We are talking about a keyhole inside the Rambox painted plastic pannel.

If it doesn't appear to be ruining the lock I will take the others and try painting them to match the truck with the touch-up primer and paint I have.

View attachment 132668 View attachment 132669 View attachment 132670 View attachment 132671 View attachment 132672
yes I have ramboxes and yes the key area can be plastidiped. I love how you call me out but above me spray paint was suggested. Its the exact same thing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
yes I have ramboxes and yes the key area can be plastidiped. I love how you call me out but above me spray paint was suggested. Its the exact same thing.
Neither of those options make any sense. God forbid I respond to the very last responce.

If I did have to choose between the 2 plastidip would be the better option as you could probably rip it out to use the lock

Don't paint or platidip locks guys, that's a stupid idea.

tolh13

Reaction score
Neither of those options make any sense. God forbid I respond to the very last responce.

If I did have to choose between the 2 plastidip would be the better option as you could probably rip it out to use the lock

Don't paint or platidip locks guys, that's a stupid idea.
Not sure the problem with paint or plastic dip, probably never use a key on it, it for looks and if need be I can always redo it

kdawg

Reaction score

View attachment 132668 View attachment 132669 View attachment 132670 View attachment 132671 View attachment 132672
Where did you get the caps from, Amazon I hope? I think it looks good, it looks like another button lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Where did you get the caps from, Amazon I hope? I think it looks good, it looks like another button lol
Yes I got them from amazon. 12 for $9.59

I'm trying to find one that is ever so slightly bigger so it doesn't show the silver at the edges at all, but definitely looks better.

If I can't find anything better i'm going to paint a couple of these and see if I can make it look OEM.

This is just slightly too big to fit on the driver door handle

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't forget about this.

I'm on my second set of "caps" and i'm painting a few body color to match before installing. I only got the paint in today but it was raining so too humid to paint.
They come black with some stupid "carbon fiber" look so it stands out and looks worse then the keyholes i'm hoping the paint can hide the marks.

I got 12 caps so i'm going to try 2 with and 2 without primer, the problem is I don't think I can get an even coat to cover the primer but i'm not sure how good paint will stuck on these as it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok here's what I came up with.
You can buy these caps for like $10 for 12 caps on Amazon.
You need to sand down the pattern on them (unless you like that stupid Carbon fiber look on an all black truck) and then paint them.

I did a pair with primer and then 1 without primer (I didn't sand down the one without primer).

If I had to do it again I would of just sanded them down and not used primer, as I was able to get a much darker black but that could just be because I have no idea how to use spray paint.

They also sell a white cap without a pattern that you could probably paint better since you don't need to sand a pattern off. They have been on back order for a while so I didn't bother.
These are how they look from a few angles.

2022-07-16 12.30.03.jpg

2022-07-16 12.30.09.jpg 2022-07-16 12.30.18.jpg

These are what the regular caps would look like.
2022-07-16 12.30.32.jpg 2022-07-16 12.30.38.jpg

I think I still have the couple I painted but didn't sand and I can take pictures of them for reference, but for me I think the pattern looked dumb because it didn't match anything and stood out vs blended in which I feel was the whole point of covering the screwholes.

I hope this helps people who were trying to figure out what to do to cover the only silver metal on their truck.
You can also pull these off with the finger, it's stuck on there really good but if you NEEDED to get in and don't have power you could rip them off to use your key. It's 3m tape on the back so you could just put more on and save the caps.
None of the caps I had properly fit in the driver side keyhole area but you can buy a black cap and replace the existing key hole and just remove it. I personally don't mind the keyhole on the door.

Users who are viewing this thread