5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel even worth it still?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I actually got into an argument with my wife about who gets to daily drive the Ram and the Frontier. She works from home, but also has the kids. I travel over 40mi/day for work. We set rules for when the Ram gets driven and by who. Particularly based on who is going to be driving more. I also found that the Diesel gets better fuel economy when the engine warms up, so short trips don't seem to yield great economy.

In either case, bad fuel economy in the Ram is still better than good fuel economy in the Frontier. I seem to bottom out at 22mpg for short drives. The Frontier can only pull off 21mpg on the freeway.

Cost breakdown with current fuel prices:
Frontier Cost Mile:
4.64$pg / 17.5mpg = 0.265$/mi
Commute
42.2mi = $11.18/day

Ram Cost Mile:
5.35$pg / 26mpg = 0.205$/mi
Commute 42.2mi = $8.65/day

I save about $2.50 per day by driving my Ram instead of the Frontier.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The cost per mile should also include DEF, oil changes, and fuel filter

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually got into an argument with my wife about who gets to daily drive the Ram and the Frontier. She works from home, but also has the kids. I travel over 40mi/day for work. We set rules for when the Ram gets driven and by who. Particularly based on who is going to be driving more. I also found that the Diesel gets better fuel economy when the engine warms up, so short trips don't seem to yield great economy.

In either case, bad fuel economy in the Ram is still better than good fuel economy in the Frontier. I seem to bottom out at 22mpg for short drives. The Frontier can only pull off 21mpg on the freeway.

Frontier Cost Mile:
Commute
42.2mi = $11.18/day

Ram Cost Mile:

All that math? Yeah, great.

Argument with the wife? Yeah, she wins.

:)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If comparing apples to apples and using aftermarket filters, the diesel uses 2 more quarts of synthetic oil (estimating $9 per quart, which is high) and filters are $10 more than the average oil filter for gasoline powered vehicles. If that total price difference is broken down into cost per mile, the difference is $0.0056 per mile.
DEF is an average of $23 for 5 gallons in this area. I can’t speak for everybody, but I use 5 gallons of DEF for every 6 to 7000 miles I drive. If I estimate 6000 miles, that comes out to a cost of $0.00383 per mile.

Is any of that really worth mentioning?

truckless

Reaction score

Frontier Cost Mile:
Commute
42.2mi = $11.18/day

Ram Cost Mile:

There is only 1 rule in my house for who drives the Ram....."unless I say so, it is not you" :LOL:

Scram1500

Reaction score
If comparing apples to apples and using aftermarket filters, the diesel uses 2 more quarts of synthetic oil (estimating $9 per quart, which is high) and filters are $10 more than the average oil filter for gasoline powered vehicles. If that total price difference is broken down into cost per mile, the difference is $0.0056 per mile.
DEF is an average of $23 for 5 gallons in this area. I can’t speak for everybody, but I use 5 gallons of DEF for every 6 to 7000 miles I drive. If I estimate 6000 miles, that comes out to a cost of $0.00383 per mile.

Is any of that really worth mentioning?
Yes, when also considering the diesel fuel filter change with every 2nd oil change or every 20k. I'm sure the driveway cost isn't too bad, but then you have to deal with the non-evaporative fuel of Satan sloshing into a drip pan. The dealership cost I'm sure is much higher, but you save time and grime.

Then again I didn't do the math and one day I'll have purchase 16 spark plugs

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, when also considering the diesel fuel filter change with every 2nd oil change or every 20k. I'm sure the driveway cost isn't too bad, but then you have to deal with the non-evaporative fuel of Satan sloshing into a drip pan. The dealership cost I'm sure is much higher, but you save time and grime.

Holy crap, I forgot about the fuel filter. At $38 for mopar and $14 aftermarket, I should probably get rid of my diesel now for a hemi.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Holy crap, I forgot about the fuel filter. At $38 for mopar and $14 aftermarket, I should probably get rid of my diesel now for a hemi.
Your dealership doesn't charge for labor or disposal fees?

Bigdwisco

Reaction score
Diesel to gas is about 6 mpg difference in the real world, Looks like a win for the Eco. The cost of fuel makes it hard to justify the diesel. Add this with the initial cost, oil change costs, fuel filters and DEF. Finally, the big but…. Long term durability and maintenance costs. Drove both for an extended period of time. Got 29 mpg a few times but in the 100K miles I put on the Eco it is rare. Real mpg average with my daily commute was 23 with the Eco, 100 round trip daily. Anyone claiming they average 29 is driving flat roads, no wind, the speed limit (well under 70 mph) and summer fuel. For me, so much happier with the Hemi.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With a mostly highway commute drive of 54 miles, rolling hills (northwest of Charlotte, NC), and then some around town driving, my dash mileage (500 mile rolling average) shows 26.5 mpg.

I can get it higher (28-30+), but that would involve sitting in the right lane and keeping it ~60-65mph. That's not going to happen. ;) (Interestingly, a bit of a hill at low 60s drops the rpm to about 1,000. Even if the torque is sufficient, the programming will downshift. So, too slow means a lot of 7th gear.)

Around town, like any heavy vehicle, the stop and go just kills it.

And, yes, the last fill up? I had to run my card twice because the pump limit per purchase was $125. Joy.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Took my Ecodiesel in for the first oil change. Apparently Mopar does a deal where if you buy 2 or mote up front, they are $110 each.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I haven't yet set my service intervals, and I'm taking recommendations. I change my Frontier's oil with synthetic every 5k and filter (I'm not going to get into brands). My impression is that the EcoDiesel will be fine with 10k changes on a good synthetic oil. So even if it's 2x the cost, it's half as often.

For the last 10+ years, I have always set my intervals to the odometer. (5, 10, 15k....) or (10, 20, 30k...) or (20, 40, 60k...), this way it's self correcting. If I try to count 5,000mi from the last change, then procrastination will cause my schedule to slowly creep.
All that math? Yeah, great.

Argument with the wife? Yeah, she wins.

:)
I can't say we don't get into a lot of arguments, but saving money is usually an argument I'm allowed to make my case. No one can believe how good my fuel economy is in such a large vehicle, compared to my Frontier. What's crazy is driving my Frontier, now. I feel like I'm hopping into a Miata.

That reminds me, what brand spark plugs should I consider for the EcoDiesel?

(joke)

Do it. You'll feel much better. Get the right gears this time, too.

View attachment 131698
How the EcoDiesel Drives:
rvp-sweet-sixteen.jpg

How the Hemi Drives: 1654866725224.png

The smoker trucks take 9 quarts of oil? Wow.
My old M5 was 10qt (10L), $15/Liter, plus a $25 filter. Of course, the tires were $1,000 for just the rears. I think I've become numb to the cost of things, so long as they don't put me into bankruptcy.

Diesel to gas is about 6 mpg difference in the real world, Looks like a win for the Eco. The cost of fuel makes it hard to justify the diesel. Add this with the initial cost, oil change costs, fuel filters and DEF. Finally, the big but…. Long term durability and maintenance costs. Drove both for an extended period of time. Got 29 mpg a few times but in the 100K miles I put on the Eco it is rare. Real mpg average with my daily commute was 23 with the Eco, 100 round trip daily. Anyone claiming they average 29 is driving flat roads, no wind, the speed limit (well under 70 mph) and summer fuel. For me, so much happier with the Hemi.
Forget how small my Frontier feels, NOW. I've always driven my Frontier around like it was a little Integra Type R. As someone who only drove around in small sports cars, the Frontier seemed large, but it was still something I could toss around, throw into a parking spot, or squeezing through traffic. I could even properly drift it in the rain. I'm one of the most batshit crazy Florida drivers out there. I share a route home with my coworker, who owns a Hemi Charger. He doesn't even try to keep up with me.

But in the 1500, I just don't have that desire. The EcoDiesel isn't slow, in fact I think it's the same 0-60 as my Frontier. It's enough for me to take whatever lane I want when I'm in heavy traffic, but considering the size I just don't get any pleasure launching and tossing a 6,000lb piece of industrial-sized equipment. Here are 2 vehicles with about the same 0-60, but I drive them SO differently:
0QA45Gm.jpg
nAQaNJZ.jpg

And, yes, the last fill up? I had to run my card twice because the pump limit per purchase was $125. Joy.
Lucky bastard. Most pumps limit me to $100, still. The Frontier has a secondary tank in the bed, so I've been doing $160 (38-gal) fill-ups for a little while now, and I always have to run my membership/payment/discount cards twice in a row. The 33-gal Diesel is no different.

I've now gotten into the habit of warning people behind me that I'm about to pump $200.

Users who are viewing this thread