5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VIDEO: We Take An In-Depth Look At The 2022 Ram 1500 G/T Package!

Cda3488

Reaction score
I test drove a Laramie with the GT package and was very unimpressed.
The shifter in the middle shifted backwards, the paddle shifters were awkwardly placed and super hard to hit/required too much pressure, and the exhaust sounded good not great.

Getting a regular shifter not the circle should be a standard feature not a expensive trim requirement.
I say your better off getting a regular trim and adding the mods yourself
Best truck I ever had!!!

Attachments

• 56CBA2FC-CBA5-4182-9877-A2940F74955D.jpeg
    56CBA2FC-CBA5-4182-9877-A2940F74955D.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 52
  • C8354531-D8A1-45F4-BDA8-9091F6607582.jpeg
    C8354531-D8A1-45F4-BDA8-9091F6607582.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 51

Cda3488

Reaction score
I agree that the direction of the manual shift seems backwards. Bigger complaint I have is the lag when using the paddle shifters, it takes at least 1 second after you pull it for the gear to change. Some may say 1 second is quick, but it is very noticable and for that reason really kills the "sport" feeling of the paddle shifters. I'll probably only use them to down shift to pass someone.
I find the stick pulled towards you is a lot quicker response. Just like you I’ve only used the paddle shifters to downshift. It’s a small complaint considering it’s my all time favorite truck ever!!! It’s jaw dropping when people ride with me.

Raydar

Reaction score
Maybe Ram his it right, and other cars you have driven are backwards.
Not me. I don't really care. I still have the rotary knob on the dash.
Other people were complaining. I have heard of it being set up both ways, depending upon what car it is. Still think it could be an easy change, or even customer configurable.

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
Why would you not want the rotary knob? It is far superior in my opinion than a shifter that eats up all your dash storage. This would not be a "plus" in my book, but a major "con".

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why would you not want the rotary knob? It is far superior in my opinion than a shifter that eats up all your dash storage. This would not be a "plus" in my book, but a major "con".
A shifter that eats up dash storage?
Who stores stuff in their dash behind their steering wheel???

The rotary knob looks like crap stock, and feels terrible (it's a digital not analog device).
Would much rather the shifter on the right side of the steering wheel but it is what it is.
No one bought these trucks thinking they come with something different then they do.
Much cheaper for FCA as they just run a couple of wires and put a digital rotary in.

I think you are referring to a console shifter that eats up console space.
People getting these sports version of trucks don't store a lot of crap I would assume. I never keep crap in my truck ever unless it's in a secure stable place like glovebox.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
As someone who's had 3 rotary knob Rams and now my first with the console shifter.
I found the storage in the center console with the rotary knob to be great, and plentiful. However, for me, it just became a cluttered mess of paperwork, elk/deer calls and whatever else it eats up.

I haven't really felt much of a storage difference switching to the console shift, it feels natural and just feels right. And the giant pit of storage under the arm rest still holds everything I need.
I prefer the console shift with the covered cupholders. However, the only draw back is the small tight area of storage in front of the cup holder

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
A shifter that eats up dash storage?
Who stores stuff in their dash behind their steering wheel???

The rotary knob looks like crap stock, and feels terrible (it's a digital not analog device).
Would much rather the shifter on the right side of the steering wheel but it is what it is.
No one bought these trucks thinking they come with something different then they do.
Much cheaper for FCA as they just run a couple of wires and put a digital rotary in.

I think you are referring to a console shifter that eats up console space.
People getting these sports version of trucks don't store a lot of crap I would assume. I never keep crap in my truck ever unless it's in a secure stable place like glovebox.
By dash storage, I meant console storage. I love the space I have in my center console, and was a major reason why I wanted the RAM. A center console shifter just isn't needed, especially when the G/T offers paddle shifters. I'll keep my console shifter (manual gearbox) in my car and let me truck be used for what's it meant to be!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Having owned my GT for a few months now, I can honestly say I don't miss the huge console storage volume like I thought I would. There are so many places in the Ram to store things, I just don't need all that space. It was great when I had it, but I much prefer the shifter, especially since I no longer have that dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online