5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to TRY and prevent our trucks from being stolen

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure how many of y‘all have had your truck stolen or heard of all the thefts but I thought I’d ask…. What have you done or are considering doing to try and prevent it from happening to you.

I had my factory ordered 2021 Ram Sport for all of 7 months and it was stolen from my driveway a couple of weeks ago. I woke up to an email from SiriusXM Guardian that the anti-theft was triggered in the middle of the night, looked out the window and sure enough it was gone. Tracking it via the UConnect GPS tracking showed it was still in my driveway so it was likely stolen by being reprogrammed from the OBD port or that FOB relay attack. Then driven around the corner and fuses pulled so it couldn’t be tracked.

Been doing lots of research online looking for ways to slow or stop the next theft down. Things like:

- Faraday bag with the fobs at night to try and stop the relay attack
- OBD Dummy port (maybe with piezo siren) to cause some hearing loss to the thief and slow them down trying to find the real port and unzip tie it
- OBD port lock (instead of above)
- Steering wheel lock (Not really interested in the hassle of putting it on all the time)
- Apple AirTags to track it (kinda)
- Aftermarket GPS tracker (like SmartThings Tracker)
- Cameras on the house (which won’t do anything likely)

What have you done? If you’ve got pictures or links to options I’d really like to see/hear. The next truck is likely to be a Limited so it has even bigger target on it that the last truck and want to do what I can to try and deter/slow the person down next time. Heaven knows if I’m there to witness it, the person won’t be walking away.

Thanks!
recently came across 2 news articles, seems like right now the relay attack is the one being use by car thieves a lot
I know many of my friends and family leave the key fobs very close to the cars, front door, I would say many people are expose, seems to me like the faraday bag or something similar could be an inexpensive way to counter this

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
recently came across 2 news articles, seems like right now the relay attack is the one being use by car thieves a lot
I know many of my friends and family leave the key fobs very close to the cars, front door, I would say many people are expose, seems to me like the faraday bag or something similar could be an inexpensive way to counter this
Something as simple as a tin box would work good enough. I have a wooden box on my dresser all my daily pocket crap goes into when I get home. If I were in a regular neighborhood a shielded box would be ideal.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last edited:

AzRoute66

Reaction score
I don't know what to do away from the house, but I think one concept that seldom gets discussed is not trying to have the truck defend itself, but merely to detect when it moves and wake me up so I can get the cops on it pronto. A cheap motion detect camera/alarm, well placed and configured, might be a good option. [This comes from a guy without a garage that has had three vehicles stolen, two of them from the driveway while he slept soundly. His new Ram is being delivered at the end of this week...] :D

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know what to do away from the house, but I think one concept that seldom gets discussed is not trying to have the truck defend itself, but merely to detect when it moves and wake me up so I can get the cops on it pronto. A cheap motion detect camera/alarm, well placed and configured, might be a good option. [This comes from a guy without a garage that has had three vehicles stolen, two of them from the driveway while he slept soundly. His new Ram is being delivered at the end of this week...] :D
If I was in your place no garage and 3 previous stolen vehicles I would do the following -
new car replacement insurance
tinted windows
loud exhaust or loud alarm system
wheel to pedal lock
faraday bag

The only annoying thing would be the daily routine of the wheel to pedal lock but you could get use to it. And I think on a new car, thieves might not be expecting or ready for the wheel lock and with the tinted windows it would make it hard to notice it before they open the car
Wheel-to-pedal-lock-keyed.jpg

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I'd like to rehash a question: Are we concerned with break-ins or full vehicle theft?

How easy is it for a criminal to start and drive off with our trucks? That's assuming some basic steps are taken like putting your key in a metal box. The wheel/pedal lock is a real nice touch, but that's not going to stop a smash and grab or someone with a tow truck. I wonder if it's a necessity *IF* a drive-off isn't really a huge problem, in the first place.

To me, a more important step is outright preventing someone from getting into your vehicle or wanting to stay in your vehicle for any length of time.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to rehash a question: Are we concerned with break-ins or full vehicle theft?

How easy is it for a criminal to start and drive off with our trucks? That's assuming some basic steps are taken like putting your key in a metal box. The wheel/pedal lock is a real nice touch, but that's not going to stop a smash and grab or someone with a tow truck. I wonder if it's a necessity *IF* a drive-off isn't really a huge problem, in the first place.

To me, a more important step is outright preventing someone from getting into your vehicle or wanting to stay in your vehicle for any length of time.
I can tell you that the hellcats (TRX, in this case) is a highly sought-after vehicle to steal. And it's extremely easy to do so, if you know what you're doing. So the same logic applies to the other 5th Gens, except that they're not nearly as attractive for thieves. The two main methods of theft for these trucks are:
  • Relaying your key fob signal (from your house, or a restaurant) - they can unlock the door, start the vehicle and drive away immediately.
  • Breaking in (smashing a window, etc.) and plugging into your truck with a laptop to program a new key fob from scratch. This is being addressed by Ram right now - they've already implemented a solution for Dodge hellcats...just waiting for them to officially release it for the Ram.
Obviously, a third method involves a flatbed. But there's nothing anyone can do about that.

AzRoute66

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the whole Ram theft issue, but I thought that "plugging into your truck with a laptop to program a new key fob from scratch" was already addressed by changing the static four digit service PIN to a rotating PIN. I probably misinterpreted something I read....

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am a newbie to the whole Ram theft issue, but I thought that "plugging into your truck with a laptop to program a new key fob from scratch" was already addressed by changing the static four digit service PIN to a rotating PIN. I probably misinterpreted something I read....
I don't know the mechanics of the process, I just know the hellcats are being stolen all over the place. Just yesterday, we heard about a TRX Ignition Edition Hennessey (this is a $175,000 truck) was stolen in Miami - from the secured parking garage of the condominium that the guy lived in.
The solution from FCA is that they're locking down the computer altogether for reprogramming. So no new key can be reprogrammed moving forward. If you lose your key fob and need a new one, you get to buy a new computer for the truck as well.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

me full vehicle theft, I never leave any valuables and yes I have dealt with smash windows in the past but better than losing a new truck.
a family friend recently had her Kia stolen, found in not operational according to insurance. It was a mess to deal with the insurance. Didn't get pay fair price in my mind and got screw with the rental car for not knowing her limits, that is on her.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
The two main methods of theft for these trucks are:
  • Relaying your key fob signal (from your house, or a restaurant) - they can unlock the door, start the vehicle and drive away immediately.
  • Breaking in (smashing a window, etc.) and plugging into your truck with a laptop to program a new key fob from scratch. This is being addressed by Ram right now - they've already implemented a solution for Dodge hellcats...just waiting for them to officially release it for the Ram.
Obviously, a third method involves a flatbed. But there's nothing anyone can do about that.
number one, a faraday box or bag should stop this, correct?

number two, the ravelco will prevent the truck from being started, correct?
but would an alarm that does not use the horn (because a poster showed they disconnect it) being loud chase them off?

number three oh well

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
number one, a faraday box or bag should stop this, correct?

number two, the ravelco will prevent the truck from being started, correct?
but would an alarm that does not use the horn (because a poster showed they disconnect it) being loud chase them off?

number three oh well
So they disconnect the horns on the alarms too?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I can tell you that the hellcats (TRX, in this case) is a highly sought-after vehicle to steal. And it's extremely easy to do so, if you know what you're doing. So the same logic applies to the other 5th Gens, except that they're not nearly as attractive for thieves. The two main methods of theft for these trucks are:
Yea, that answers things. Assuming the laptop option is addressed, I'm not THAT concerned about someone stealing the whole thing. I can keep my fob in a special case. And if they use a flatbed or some other means of towing it, there's really not much I can do except chain it into 12" of concrete.

I think a better option is keeping them from getting/staying inside. I'd rather rig up some ear-piercing sirens and flashing hidden police lights that turn my vehicle into a disco the moment they open the door or break a window. You can easily buy a simple car alarm that outputs a trigger.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
@Eighty
so you have had the ravelco for a while
how about an update?
are you tried of inputting the plug and removing it?
has anyone broken a window and tried to steal your truck?

doesn't the TRX come with a factory alarm of some kind?

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Eighty
so you have had the revelco for a while
how about an update?
are you tried of inputting the plug and removing it?
has anyone broken a window and tried to steal your truck?

doesn't the TRX come with a factory alarm of some kind?
Pulling the plug and reinserting it has become second nature to me. I don’t mind it at all, and I don’t worry about my truck being stolen.
Yes, I do worry about a smashed window and attempted theft. So when I leave my truck in a high risk area, I place the stickers in the window. Hopefully a thief won’t bother trying.

Users who are viewing this thread