5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“In and out” sales process?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the “in and out” sales process in detail? From what I understand, it is a way to sell your vehicle to a private buyer and complete the process at the dealership to retain the tax savings when buying your new vehicle from the same dealer.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the movie Deliverance? The scene with Ned Beatey and Bill McKinney? That is very similar to the "in and out" sales process. You get to play Ned and sales is Bill. Practice your pig squealing before you go.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, oh boy- this is going to be another good one. One day, I’ll push for award-winning threads…

BNeal

Reaction score
Have you ever seen the movie Deliverance? The scene with Ned Beatey and Bill McKinney? That is very similar to the "in and out" sales process. You get to play Ned and sales is Bill. Practice your pig squealing before you go.
And here is a personal example... My wife's lease will be up in May - we are going to purchase the car. So, I called the dealer to find out what all was involved with a buyout, and the dude says, "piece of cake, we do them all the time". So, I asked if there were any fees involved and he answered no, but we do have to run it through the shop to inspect it before we can delver it back to you. I said, that won't be necessary, can't we just do the paperwork and be done with it? Nope, got to go through the shop. I asked, so, how much is that? He says, usually around $2k. They could hear me laughing all the way down the street. I then called the leasing company, and they said - no fees, but you have to deal with the registration stuff on your own - done deal!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
When you arrive at the dealership and this guy is out front..
deliverance-480x270.jpg

Then you meet the sales guy...
57_midi.jpg
Be prepared for the results.
ned_beatty_deliverance_squeal_like_a_pig.jpg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have never heard of doing this. But at the bottom it does say that it is most beneficial if you are selling a vehicle worth more than $50k, sell more than most or are a collector. I don't fit those categories. But there is also a link to contact for further info.

Personally, I would just see what the trade in is compared to selling it and compare the hit if what you have to trade is worth that much. If you are trying to sell a Range Rover SV, you may want to consult a tax professional. If you are selling a 1992 F-150, just let it go. If it costs you too much, it's just not worth it.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I won't not to be the finance manager of that place in an audit!

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my truck.

It came

I signed some docs online and sent them some money

I flew to the dealership and they handed me keys

I drove home

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And here is a personal example... My wife's lease will be up in May - we are going to purchase the car. So, I called the dealer to find out what all was involved with a buyout, and the dude says, "piece of cake, we do them all the time". So, I asked if there were any fees involved and he answered no, but we do have to run it through the shop to inspect it before we can delver it back to you. I said, that won't be necessary, can't we just do the paperwork and be done with it? Nope, got to go through the shop. I asked, so, how much is that? He says, usually around $2k. They could hear me laughing all the way down the street. I then called the leasing company, and they said - no fees, but you have to deal with the registration stuff on your own - done deal!
Thanks for the info. Since this is the first time I've leased a vehicle, I've been searching online to familiarize myself with the process. All I've been seeing are articles saying I need to bring it back to the same dealership where I got my lease from. Don't you still need a safety inspection by a shop? Can you share some info on what actual process entails?

BNeal

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Since this is the first time I've leased a vehicle, I've been searching online to familiarize myself with the process. All I've been seeing are articles saying I need to bring it back to the same dealership where I got my lease from. Don't you still need a safety inspection by a shop? Can you share some info on what actual process entails?
I will once the deal is done. We can't actually complete the transaction until the end of May.

Users who are viewing this thread