5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Truck is back a second time at OCCDJR for the same issue. This time I showed the service advisor the video clip and email it to him. The video photage of truck slipping out of drive was showned to a technician. @RamCares
Good luck. I have five videos and the first time the technician was in the truck with me when it happened. Still, it's not fixed. I am waiting for Dependable Dodge in Canoga Park (where I bought the truck) to get a buyout letter from the lender. Once I have that, FCA will make their buy back offer. Side note: Dependable Dodge is a joke as well. I have called 5 times and talked to 3 different people to get this buyout letter. Still nothing. So, I'm driving over there today. People suck! @RamCares

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
FCA came in with a low ball offer for the buyback. So, I'm going to keep the truck until the end of the lease, which is in a year. Stellantis has added an additional 100,000 mile/5-year warranty and they have covered several payments. So, I'm satisfied, but still hope they figure out a true fix. Otherwise, maybe a class action lawsuit? I'm waiting for the first report of a serious injury or worse from this issue. @RamCares clearly doesn't give a F***! My attorney is following this thread along with a few others. Hopefully, the powers that be will wake up and realize what a big problem they have.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Greetings,
Recently there was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that appears to address concerns similar to the symptoms that some of you are having with your vehicle. To ensure this TSB applies, we would like to get you into the dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and specifics of your vehicle. Once reviewed, the technician can then perform the repair procedure that best matches the symptoms and diagnosis of your vehicle. The TSB number is 08-093-220 and it's only for 2022 Ram 1500. We expect that a 2021 model year TSB will be out at a later date.

Rob
Ram Cares

CDP110

Reaction score
Greetings,
Recently there was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that appears to address concerns similar to the symptoms that some of you are having with your vehicle. To ensure this TSB applies, we would like to get you into the dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and specifics of your vehicle. Once reviewed, the technician can then perform the repair procedure that best matches the symptoms and diagnosis of your vehicle. The TSB number is 08-093-220 and it's only for 2022 Ram 1500. We expect that a 2021 model year TSB will be out at a later date.

Rob
Ram Cares
Greetings,

Rob
Ram Cares
I m on this forum and I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn 5.7 and this happens to me also

Nelo718

Reaction score
FCA came in with a low ball offer for the buyback. So, I'm going to keep the truck until the end of the lease, which is in a year. Stellantis has added an additional 100,000 mile/5-year warranty and they have covered several payments. So, I'm satisfied, but still hope they figure out a true fix. Otherwise, maybe a class action lawsuit? I'm waiting for the first report of a serious injury or worse from this issue. @RamCares clearly doesn't give a F***! My attorney is following this thread along with a few others. Hopefully, the powers that be will wake up and realize what a big problem they have.
Wow, sorry to hear that but I’m not surprised. Unfortunately that’s what has to happen. These big companies continue to ignore things until multiple people get injured or worse. And even then they’ll try weasel their way out of it. I Also have a co-worker with the same issue but he’s too lazy to take it in to get checked. I wonder how many more of us have the issue but continue to ignore it. His truck is less than a year old and it’s having issues.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Greetings,

Rob
Ram Cares
What about the 2019s?

Nelo718

Reaction score
Mine is a 2019. So far dealer has done a software update (did NOT work) on the first visit. The second visit they replace the valve body. Not sure how long or how extensive that is but I received a call after 3PM saying they were approved by Chrysler to replace it under warranty. Received a call at 1130am next day stating truck was ready. I’m not a mechanic but have my doubts that this was done. Is anyone familiar with how long it takes to replace the valve body?

Nelo718

Reaction score
Or where is located so I can check to see if the screws show signs of being removed and if the part looks new or just as dirty as the other parts sorrounding it

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2019. So far dealer has done a software update (did NOT work) on the first visit. The second visit they replace the valve body. Not sure how long or how extensive that is but I received a call after 3PM saying they were approved by Chrysler to replace it under warranty. Received a call at 1130am next day stating truck was ready. I’m not a mechanic but have my doubts that this was done. Is anyone familiar with how long it takes to replace the valve body?
What valve body?

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Or where is located so I can check to see if the screws show signs of being removed and if the part looks new or just as dirty as the other parts sorrounding it
They replaced my valve body as well. Usually takes about half a day, I am told. So, they could have done it in that time frame. They've also replaced the engine harness and the dashboard harness TWO times in mine. Also, replaced the shifter mechanism. It's still slipping.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Greetings,

Rob
Ram Cares
What about the 2020s??!? It has happened to me before as well. This sounds like it's never going to be fixed at this point. For a company that wants to beat Ford for the number one spot, it's never going to get there if it loses customers in a fatal accident that was highlighted on multiple occasions. All the fu*king dealerships and the brand itself care about is the God damn money, not people's safety.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I'm not an engineer by any stretch, but it seems to me that it is a software issue as well. I have also discovered that you do not need to actually shift back to "P" to correct the slip. It has also happened to me during a turn in a busy intersection and I was able to quickly flip the shift knob to "N" and then back to "D" and it worked.
This has happened to me a handful of times, and I just ignore it and everything is fine.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don’t know but service advisor said it’s what allow/tells tranny when/what gear to shift to.. that’s what I was told
The tranny valve body is the only thing I can think of

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
What about the 2020s??!? It has happened to me before as well. This sounds like it's never going to be fixed at this point. For a company that wants to beat Ford for the number one spot, it's never going to get there if it loses customers in a fatal accident that was highlighted on multiple occasions. All the fu*king dealerships and the brand itself care about is the God damn money, not people's safety.
The point I've been trying to make here and in direct communications with Stellantis and the dealer. @RamCares

Jack.

Reaction score
Just an update there was a post where someone said to disable hill assist in driver / safety menu of the uconnect and it seem to have solve the issue for one of the person. Could this be the culprit ? 🤨

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Just an update there was a post where someone said to disable hill assist in driver / safety menu of the uconnect and it seem to have solve the issue for one of the person. Could this be the culprit ? 🤨
I highly doubt it. I've tried that before and it didn't work for me. But, who knows? I still think it is a software issue. The issue is also seen in Jeep and Chrysler vehicles, which use different transmissions. So??? Throwing my hands in the air at this point.

Cessna_Pilot

Reaction score
I m on this forum and I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn 5.7 and this happens to me also
Greetings,

Rob
Ram Cares
I have a 2019 Limited with just under 36,000 miles that began doing the same thing. Is there a TSB that addresses the issue on my truck?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with just under 36,000 miles that began doing the same thing. Is there a TSB that addresses the issue on my truck?
To ensure this TSB applies, we would like to get you into the dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and specifics of your vehicle. Once reviewed, the technician can then perform the repair procedure that best matches the symptoms and diagnosis of your vehicle.

Rob
Ram Cares

Jack.

Reaction score
To ensure this TSB applies, we would like to get you into the dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and specifics of your vehicle. Once reviewed, the technician can then perform the repair procedure that best matches the symptoms and diagnosis of your vehicle.

Rob
Ram Cares
When do you guys think the 2021 model year tsb will be up? I would like to bring my truck in and have this transmission issue fix if you guys already firgured it out

Users who are viewing this thread