5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Behind The Rear Seat (and How Did It Get There)?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a '22 BigHorn crew cab with the 60/40 rear bench that folds up for floor storage. The seat backs slide up a bit as you fold the seats up but don't detach as far as I can tell. It looks like there could potentially be lots of room behind the seat backs to mount accessories like air compressor, radio bricks, but I haven't found my way in yet. So who can tell me, what all is already back there, and how does it come apart?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E-torque battery and subwoofer along with a few modules are all back there if your truck is equipped. Not much room for anything else if you have a well optioned truck.

Unless you have the reclining/sliding rear seats you will have to unbolt them from the floor to access that area.

Last edited:

RichInMN

Reaction score
A picture's worth a thousand words...

There is a lot of space back there - 6"+ at the bottom, like 4-5" at the top of the recessed area. I didn't have the eTorque battery or a factory sub, so a lot of room to play with.

Attachments

• 20190722_131639.jpg
    20190722_131639.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 340
  • 20190722_131622.jpg
    20190722_131622.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 336

Brunzca

Reaction score
looks like to get back there you have to do some unbolting?
Yes, especially, as mentioned, if you don’t have reclining rear seats. Quite a few bolts that have to come out, including some that you need an e-torx socket for.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A picture's worth a thousand words...

There is a lot of space back there - 6"+ at the bottom, like 4-5" at the top of the recessed area. I didn't have the eTorque battery or a factory sub, so a lot of room to play with.
I don't have eTorque or sub either, so thanks for the photos, much appreciated, should be very similar. I'm guessing this was on the way to 5,000 watt audio system?

RichInMN

Reaction score
I don't have eTorque or sub either, so thanks for the photos, much appreciated, should be very similar. I'm guessing this was on the way to 5,000 watt audio system?
Yep, I had room for 2 slim batteries, 2 large amps, and a dsp all behind those seats with room to spare (y)

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somewhere I saw a video where a guy reached back and pulled some sort of release that allowed the seat to move forward. I think he lifted the front to get the back to raise and pulled the release. I do not recall if the seats were recliners or not. I wonder now if it was fake or something,.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere I saw a video where a guy reached back and pulled some sort of release that allowed the seat to move forward. I think he lifted the front to get the back to raise and pulled the release. I do not recall if the seats were recliners or not. I wonder now if it was fake or something,.

Can't say on the 1500 but it's a mod we do on the HD trucks.

If you clip the hook on the back of the seat, it will clear the catch bar on the rear of the cab when the seat bottom is lifted up to 45°.

On the 3rd gen cabs, you could just unbolt the bar and flip it. They are welded onto the 4th gen cabs.

Unfortunately there's very little room back there on the 3rd 4th gen HD cabs.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Idk if it’s a Big Horn option but on my level one Laramie w/ reclining seats you have two pull cords back there you can pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Idk if it’s a Big Horn option but on my level one Laramie w/ reclining seats you have two pull cords back there you can pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That sounds like the video I saw. I’ll have to reach back there and see if I can find one

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sounds like the video I saw. I’ll have to reach back there and see if I can find one
Pretty sure there is no seat back release on the Big Horn - Wasn't one on mine, I believe it is Laramie and up. There is good thread on this forum with step by step on how to adapt yours to recline, as @Brutal_HO mentioned

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for useful and interesting information. I don't have the reclining seats, might be something else for me to look at.

macdude2013

Reaction score
Have a '22 BigHorn crew cab with the 60/40 rear bench that folds up for floor storage. The seat backs slide up a bit as you fold the seats up but don't detach as far as I can tell. It looks like there could potentially be lots of room behind the seat backs to mount accessories like air compressor, radio bricks, but I haven't found my way in yet. So who can tell me, what all is already back there, and how does it come apart?
On the 5th gens with the reclining seats, in the back, if you pull down center console, each back of the rear has a string you pull, to make the back of the seat fold down, it may take u a few mins for your fingers to find it, but its back there.

Users who are viewing this thread