5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage of a 2021 ram 1500 5.7

thedream829

Reaction score
When I lived in the country I was getting about 1000KM per tank. The roads in the country here have a max speed of 80KM/h. When I moved back into the city I was getting about 650KM per tank. I have the upgraded fuel tank. Also like others have said. These trucks chug gas while on idle.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Hello new member here...I am interested in purchasing a 2021 ram 1500 quad cab built to serve edition with a 5.7 hemi non etorque motor...it has 20 inch tires on it love everything about the truck except I noticed that the avg gas mileage was only 10.3!!!! The truck only has 3500 miles on it,is this what they get for mpgs?? It has the 3.21 rear end also...I realize it's a big vehicle and not going to get mpgs of a prius...I am used to a 2019 chevy 1500 5.3 that's pretty decent in mileage..what do thses trucks get in the city mostly??? Thanx to anyone who can lend some experience on this.....
I have 3.21 gears and before new/heavier tires I could average 19 on daily commute. Mostly highway varying speeds between 60mph and 75mph. City driving wasn't great even though I do have etorque. It really helps when stopped at a long light or stuck with a train.

Since I've added a level and 35" tires it's gone down, but my commute is 17mpg now when I drive civilized. City is a lot bigger hit, and weekend around town driving it'll shift down to about 15mpg combined. Overall not too terrible, but it's just the price you pay to own a truck lol.

Like others have said how you drive is the biggest determining factor with mpg. If a truck is at a dealership with 10.3 then i'd suspect lots of idle time, remote starts, etc.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I normally get between 17 to 18 mixed driving. I accelerate briskly and set the cruise often if I can. Also, try not to use remote start, or idle unnecessarily. You'll be surprised how much fuel idling uses.

sppb32

Reaction score
I average 20+mpg driving on county roads 45-50mph, 19 on a mix highway 75mph and that's with the 22's and the throttle controller, it all depends how you drive it, the MDS does save allot of fuel you just have to take advantage of it.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Similar to sppb32 - I have 2020 crew cab with 18" wheel 4x4 3.21 gears- pretty much rural area typically 45-55mph and just about dead set 17mpg.

Which I think for what we are driving is pretty remarkable.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
I do 50 mile round trip with the same truck you're looking at at 75-80 i average 15.5 -16,if i keep it to 65-70 ill average 18+

Stephen C

Reaction score
It was on the dash where the average mpgs are shown...... not sure how many test drives the truck has been on,but you make a good point ,didnt think of that............
I have a 2019 crew cab short bed- do you call the big screen in the center of the truck-above the radio-climate controls "on the dash" ? I can not get that screen to turn of except when I back up or turn on the sound system (USB/Radio). I was able to get "trip info" to show up on the speedometer cluster, but no buttons will "enter" trip info

Konrad

Reaction score
Real life, long-term (2 years +), calculated mpg of my truck. As of date of this post, 13560 miles out of the total were done towing a 23ft / 5700 travel trailer. Hope this helps. 2019 BigHorn Quad Cab 4x4, Hemi with eTorque, 3.21 axle.
92d042561f87eeaad79750a105603ee4.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stephen C

Reaction score
I have a 2019 crew cab short bed- do you call the big screen in the center of the truck-above the radio-climate controls "on the dash" ? I can not get that screen to turn of except when I back up or turn on the sound system (USB/Radio). I was able to get "trip info" to show up on the speedometer cluster, but no buttons will "enter" trip info

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
what level package do you have?

Stephen C

Reaction score
Now I can't get trip info to go away & when I drive it displays" trip info not available when vehicle is in motion- frustrating !!! After looking for "computer" to shut it off I discovered the computer is called (a) "U-connect". Renaming things only makes understanding what is going on, or how to remedy, more difficult & effectively useless. I did find, after flipping through all the Owner's manual's pages- yes ALL-that there is a "supplementary manual" for "U-connect" . Go look for that-it is missing. Go to dealer & check 2 other 2019s-also missing. Dealer gives me a 2022 U-connect manual. No Good- U-connect is constantly under development re-writing-updating. I need the supplementary manual for 4-2019. When I bought the truck I thought the screen was a back up camera. The salesman did too- or didn't want to spill the beans and sour me on purchasing the truck because it had a computer from Hell. Someone here posted a download link to the supplementary manual & I downloaded it. Now--- to read that- UGH!!

Users who are viewing this thread