5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the hemi run on e15?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't paid much attention to the E15 craze.

Some people claim it will cause food shortages. Nonsense. We don't eat the corn that is used for ethanol. Yes, livestock do but we subsidize farms for not growing crops. I am sure if there was a shortage in cow food we could manage to grow it.

Pushing up the cost as you point out is a real possibility though. But Brandon has that handled across the board.

Some worry about it damaging engine components such as hoses and seals. Welcome to the 21st century. We are past that too.

Better for the environment? I doubt it. Less efficient fuel means burning more of it. Probably more transportation involved to get the different products together to be combined. I don't know what energy it takes to combine them. I know distillation takes mass amounts of heat for the huge volumes, I don't know how that compares to the energy to refine oil. Perhaps someone knowledgeable on the subjects can compare rather than speculate.

My general opinion? Corn is for eating and drinking.

Want an alternate fuel? Put the research into more efficient ways to utilize hydrogen. I guess with a byproduct of water we would be flooding the planet and the greenies would still be crying that the seas are going to rise and flood California. Would that really be so bad though?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Some people claim it will cause food shortages. Nonsense. We don't eat the corn that is used for ethanol. Yes, livestock do but we subsidize farms for not growing crops. I am sure if there was a shortage in cow food we could manage to grow it.

Pushing up the cost as you point out is a real possibility though. But Brandon has that handled across the board.

Some worry about it damaging engine components such as hoses and seals. Welcome to the 21st century. We are past that too.

Better for the environment? I doubt it. Less efficient fuel means burning more of it. Probably more transportation involved to get the different products together to be combined. I don't know what energy it takes to combine them. I know distillation takes mass amounts of heat for the huge volumes, I don't know how that compares to the energy to refine oil. Perhaps someone knowledgeable on the subjects can compare rather than speculate.

Want an alternate fuel? Put the research into more efficient ways to utilize hydrogen. I guess with a byproduct of water we would be flooding the planet and the greenies would still be crying that the seas are going to rise and flood California. Would that really be so bad though?
Corn is actually one of the least efficient products to use for ethanol. We have the means and capability to grow and harvest(more than once a year) other crops that are far better for the process. Corn was used because it was already being grown, so was easier for farmers to just plant more, as opposed to switching to a different crop they weren't used to. And was easier to "help" the farmers with subsidies to increase corn/soybean prices to use in bio fuels.

A lot of the CRP land, that farmers were being paid not to use, has been plowed up and used for corn and soy beans because they make more money that way with the higher prices.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Corn is actually one of the least efficient products to use for ethanol. We have the means and capability to grow and harvest(more than once a year) other crops that are far better for the process. Corn was used because it was already being grown, so was easier for farmers to just plant more, as opposed to switching to a different crop they weren't used to. And was easier to "help" the farmers with subsidies to increase corn/soybean prices to use in bio fuels.

A lot of the CRP land, that farmers were being paid not to use, has been plowed up and used for corn and soy beans because they make more money that way with the higher prices.
I had wondered why corn was used. Having converted corn before, I can say I agree, it is not the most efficient thing to use.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thoughts? Actions speak louder than words. If a group really cared about the environment über alles, they’d welcome high gas prices, which encourages driving less and more fuel efficient vehicles. They wouldn’t lift the summer ban on E15, which causes more smog.

But if that group were actually primarily concerned about winning elections, they’d do exactly what they’ve done.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

wait wasn't the east coast the first to go under water, Miami and New Orleans.
If Cali goes under during my time, my 1st choice is Las Vegas and second some place in Mexico. Actually I think my retirement is in Mexico. I don't think my savings and the depleted SS would be enough to retire in the US

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
  • To start, None. I don't (yet) have a Ram and I'm buying a Diesel, but I've worked on cars/engines for 20 years, and I'm a Mechanical Engineer.

• Also, you're using the term wrong. E88 would indicate 88% Ethanol. The term is "Unleaded 88," which is 88-octane E15 (15% ethanol added to 84-octane gasoline).

• Ethanol is technically an Octane booster. I'm not sure why you're pinging under load, but "Pinging less" worries me. You shouldn't ping at all. Use 89+.

• I don't really have any comment on Unleaded 88, it is what it is, E15 with a slightly higher octane rating. Still, E15 has less energy than E10.

• Performance drops because there is less energy in every drop of fuel, you can't argue physics. It's a very small amount, but it is there.

• The power/economy difference is very small, but because the price difference is very small, it's worth the discussion. There's no point in losing 3% of your fuel economy just for the privilege of paying 2% less at the pump.

• Yes, by my logic, pure gasoline (E0) will yield more power output and take you further per tank. More energy per unit = less units used.

• Pure gasoline isn't worth the price, unfortunately. For the record, E0 isn't expensive because of the blend, it's expensive because of scarcity...it's much harder to find.

• 87-octane, 88-octane, and 89-octane has very little to do with fuel economy (technically, I'm not going into the details of variable timing and octane boosters).

• Seriously, stop calling it E88. It's an E15-blend with an 88-octane rating.

• Seriously, do something about that pinging.
So what your saying is "I'm an engineer. I only look at things at a miniscule technical level that will make absolutely no difference whatsoever in the real world, just on paper."

Ok. Got it. 😆

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
If Cali goes under during my time, my 1st choice is Las Vegas and second some place in Mexico. Actually I think my retirement is in Mexico. I don't think my savings and the depleted SS would be enough to retire in the US
Yea, but it would take most of the savings I have to bribe the Mexicans into letting me bring my aresen.... oh, I mean my self defense gun, to help ward off the cartels. 😄

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Running 87 octane in the hemi is known to cause pinging under load. That’s why the manual recommends using 89 or higher.

So again, 88 runs similar to 89 and is cheaper than 87, with no side affects.

My local fuel stations carry e85, 87, 88, 89, 93 and efree 90. I’ve tried them all. Efree 90 is the same price as 93. All similar results, other than the amount of money in my bank account.

Of course talking about stock tuned vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now you know it recommends between 87 and 89, not 89 and higher.

So, if your truck is running properly and performs well with no detonation problems on 87, bonus! You have a properly running truck.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn’t California supposed to break off, right at its borders, in a major earthquake, then sink into the Pacific Ocean? That’s what cartoons, and later Tool, taught me.

Costa Rica is supposed to be a nice place to retire.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So is this going to be the new Freedom Convoy thread? This one won’t last as long.
Not sure. I haven’t seen JB yet

Also, I searched before I posted my thread. No results found.

Did another search since there are two threads.
No results found.

🤷🏻‍♂️

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure. I haven’t seen JB yet

Also, I searched before I posted my thread. No results found.

Did another search since there are two threads.
No results found.

🤷🏻‍♂️
E15 is too short for searching. Needs to be four letters/characters

Ratchet

Reaction score
Yea, but it would take most of the savings I have to bribe the Mexicans into letting me bring my aresen.... oh, I mean my self defense gun, to help ward off the cartels. 😄
Why not convert Mexican black tar heroine? That's got to be at least 97 octane right? It's not our East coast stump water, but it's a solid start.

Users who are viewing this thread