5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GT Exhaust Review

Tellsch

Reaction score
So after reading an excellent thread in the Rebel sub-forum, I pulled the trigger and ordered the GT exhaust for my 2020 Laramie. Thanks to Dookie and Cbty2050 for their contributions to that thread as it was excellent. I ordered 68517364AA and 68517365AA from BAM Wholesale for $750 shipped.

About a year ago, I had a Borla ProXS (40353) welded in as I wanted something louder than stock. This is a straight through 14" muffler, so it sounded similar to MagnaFlow and other straight through 14" muffler designs. It lasted 1 month as I couldn't handle the tone (think bass) during cruising. Overall volume was OK, but the tone was brutal.

Installed the GT exhaust 2 weeks ago and wow what a difference!

First the positives:
1. Absolutely no drone - not with MDS, not at cruising speed, not on the highway, nothing - drone control is better than on a Corsa I had on my Tahoe years back
2. Fit/finish - obviously being OEM one would expect this to be high, but it fit perfectly and didn't have to cut anything. Visibibly it looks identical to the non-GT exhaust
3. The tone - absolutely perfect. There are plenty of videos out there so you can hear for yourself, but the tone on this is deep and grumbly. Opposite of the Borla ProXS
4. Volume - I am at the age where less is more here, but I definitely wouldn't want it any louder. I might be in the minority here, but this is plenty loud for me.

Negatives:
1. While the sound of the exhaust is perfect, I find the cold start really loud. Sure it is fine at 3 in the afternoon but an early (or late) start and it is very loud. I really wish the cold start was quieter.
2. Cost - wish it was a little less as it isn't stainless or anything fancy, but it is OEM quality and should last as long as the truck will.

So far so good - need to get used to it a little bit more, but this is one of the best aftermarket sounding exhausts I have ever had/heard!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good review. I have the G/T exhaust getting shipped to me today. Now I just need a truck to install it on.

Tellsch

Reaction score
I have since added a 6" Round Magnaflow (12619) upstream of the exhaust to tame the cold start (it was really loud). It worked great and I would say I am now in between stock and GT volume levels.

Dewey

Reaction score
I’m guessing stock tips are reused on the purchased G/T exhaust and bolt right on?🤔

Wanna make sure because my Back Country will have black tips and want to keep it that way.

Tellsch

Reaction score
Correct, assuming you ordered the parts above, you will need to reuse your OEM tips.

JVSTBEE

Reaction score
Good review. I have the G/T exhaust getting shipped to me today. Now I just need a truck to install it on.

If you don’t mind me asking, who did you order through? I feel like we’ve been tracking the exhaust and trying to order at the same time, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewey

Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking, who did you order through? I feel like we’ve been tracking the exhaust and trying to order at the same time, lol.

AP Accessory Parts

Kasper

Reaction score
So after reading an excellent thread in the Rebel sub-forum, I pulled the trigger and ordered the GT exhaust for my 2020 Laramie. Thanks to Dookie and Cbty2050 for their contributions to that thread as it was excellent. I ordered 68517364AA and 68517365AA from BAM Wholesale for $750 shipped.

About a year ago, I had a Borla ProXS (40353) welded in as I wanted something louder than stock. This is a straight through 14" muffler, so it sounded similar to MagnaFlow and other straight through 14" muffler designs. It lasted 1 month as I couldn't handle the tone (think bass) during cruising. Overall volume was OK, but the tone was brutal.

Installed the GT exhaust 2 weeks ago and wow what a difference!

First the positives:
1. Absolutely no drone - not with MDS, not at cruising speed, not on the highway, nothing - drone control is better than on a Corsa I had on my Tahoe years back
2. Fit/finish - obviously being OEM one would expect this to be high, but it fit perfectly and didn't have to cut anything. Visibibly it looks identical to the non-GT exhaust
3. The tone - absolutely perfect. There are plenty of videos out there so you can hear for yourself, but the tone on this is deep and grumbly. Opposite of the Borla ProXS
4. Volume - I am at the age where less is more here, but I definitely wouldn't want it any louder. I might be in the minority here, but this is plenty loud for me.

Negatives:
1. While the sound of the exhaust is perfect, I find the cold start really loud. Sure it is fine at 3 in the afternoon but an early (or late) start and it is very loud. I really wish the cold start was quieter.
2. Cost - wish it was a little less as it isn't stainless or anything fancy, but it is OEM quality and should last as long as the truck will.

So far so good - need to get used to it a little bit more, but this is one of the best aftermarket sounding exhausts I have ever had/heard!
How long did it take you to install this? Any Tricks or Tips we need to know?

Kasper

Reaction score
Well I installed the GT Exhaust and I can say I am impressed. It is just the perfect loudness and tone for me. No Drone at all.

I did the install myself in my driveway. Backed up onto Ramps on all 4 wheels. Laid down on a creeper and away I went.
Tips: Drop Spare Tire to the Ground and remove the Spare Tire Shield on the Drivers side only.
Unbolt Muffler Pipe and pull it forward and rotate it out of position to the passenger side. A second hand helps at this stage.
Installing the new one seemed to go easier even though they are physically identical in size. Put it back in the same way you took it out.
You have to roll it in.

So was it worth it! You bet!

JVSTBEE

Reaction score
What are y’all doing with your stock exhaust?

Dewey

Reaction score
What are y’all doing with your stock exhaust?

That’s a real good question. I have a stock exhaust and stock air intake stored up in my attic with about 100 miles on them. Basically brand new. Would be great to sell but not sure who’s in the market for stock parts.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That’s a real good question. I have a stock exhaust and stock air intake stored up in my attic with about 100 miles on them. Basically brand new. Would be great to sell but not sure who’s in the market for stock parts.

I bet there are more people like me that don't like loud exhaust than you think.

I bought a used Tundra that had aftermarket exhaust and a CAI. I would have gladly paid for stock replacements but traded with a guy instead.

Dewey

Reaction score
I bet there are more people like me that don't like loud exhaust than you think.

I bought a used Tundra that had aftermarket exhaust and a CAI. I would have gladly paid for stock replacements but traded with a guy instead.
Haven’t noticed many stock takeoff stuff in the classifieds. Never know. Maybe I should list them. Too bad I couldn’t get a dealer to buy them and restock as slightly used.

At this point I would let them go fairly cheap. Not doing me any good and I’ll never need them again. They’ll just collect dust.

magnetized

Reaction score
Scrap yard maybe? Considering doing this with my stock exhaust, though not sure how much I'll get and hate to trash a perfectly good part with less than 10k miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread