5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I have gone with the 12" screen?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you put these down to the bottom of the screen?
Click and drag like you would icons on your phone it will "push" the far right icon on the bottom off as you move different ones on.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I have a Limited so it came with the 12 inch screen. Like others have mentioned, it gets looks and has that wow factor. I use carplay over the OEM NAV. The screen looks really cool, would I buy it again, absolutely, but I would have been perfectly fine with the 8.4. I feel a lot of real estate is wasted with the 12. The full screen NAV looks very nice, but I wish I could have my 360 degree camera display on the whole screen instead of the top half only. As it is, climate controls or nav are the only things that you can have on the full screen, everything else is split.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Limited so it came with the 12 inch screen. Like others have mentioned, it gets looks and has that wow factor. I use carplay over the OEM NAV. The screen looks really cool, would I buy it again, absolutely, but I would have been perfectly fine with the 8.4. I feel a lot of real estate is wasted with the 12. The full screen NAV looks very nice, but I wish I could have my 360 degree camera display on the whole screen instead of the top half only. As it is, climate controls or nav are the only things that you can have on the full screen, everything else is split.
You can have media full screen.

mxz

Reaction score
Click and drag like you would icons on your phone it will "push" the far right icon on the bottom off as you move different ones on.
Mine won't swipe any away, all I have is these 7. when I drag one it just reorganizes. I can't drag anything from the APP page down there either.
20220329_210413.jpg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe. I changed mine around a few times before settling on the icons I wanted. Just press and hold the one you want until it "floats" then drag it to the location you want it (page, position or icon bar).

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A dealer likes all the gravy they can get. :LOL: They're not going to just eat money if they don't have to.

And sales price is whatever. Sold price is what matters and the market sets that. If the market says 12" is more popular and not as available, you're going to get more money for it. Dealer or not.

You can figure out if it is worth it and how hard you're going to go when negotiating the value of your trade, but I'd argue that you're going to have a sliding scale of lowball offers depending on your truck, condition, and options.
Sold price is whatever the buyer is willing to pay, regardless of the market. With the internet tools available now, most people are privy to market values, so in most instances the two are relatively close.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
...that is the market.

Lol.
Comedian eh? :ROFLMAO: I'm talking about market value, which is what I thought you were referring to in your post I quoted. The price that an individual buyer is willing to pay is not the market or market value, it's just one sale. And won't have an affect on overall market value for that vehicle class. One sale can affect market value in the collector car market, but that's not really what we're talking about here. None of these trucks are collector cars.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Comedian eh? :ROFLMAO: I'm talking about market value, which is what I thought you were referring to in your post I quoted. The price that an individual buyer is willing to pay is not the market or market value, it's just one sale. And won't have an affect on overall market value for that vehicle class. One sale can affect market value in the collector car market, but that's not really what we're talking about here. None of these trucks are collector cars.
Nah. I'm talking about the used vehicle market and what people are actually willing to pay. KBB is cool, but it doesn't ultimately mean anything.

If a feature is more popular and less available, consumers are generally going to pay more for it.

The entire point is that there is value in having desirable features when you're trying to sell or trade in a car. If you can't realize that value, it isn't because of the features you have.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nah. I'm talking about the used vehicle market and what people are actually willing to pay. KBB is cool, but it doesn't ultimately mean anything.

If a feature is more popular and less available, consumers are generally going to pay more for it.

The entire point is that there is value in having desirable features when you're trying to sell or trade in a car. If you can't realize that value, it isn't because of the features you have.
Meh, KBB is not the only tool out there. But you're mistaken if you think it doesn't mean anything. Dealerships in my area use KBB as a guidline when appraising trade-in value. Seems like they change which tool to use occasionally as they used to only go by NADA here.

I don't think anyone disputes fact that there is value. The point I have been trying to make is that that value is never equal to the cost of the option the initial buyer paid to have it. So they're not likely to recoup that extra cost when they sell or trade-in their vehicle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, KBB is not the only tool out there. But you're mistaken if you think it doesn't mean anything. Dealerships in my area use KBB as a guidline when appraising trade-in value. Seems like they change which tool to use occasionally as they used to only go by NADA here.

I don't think anyone disputes fact that there is value. The point I have been trying to make is that that value is never equal to the cost of the option the initial buyer paid to have it. So they're not likely to recoup that extra cost when they sell or trade-in their vehicle.
It's called depreciation and it effects every part of the vehicle.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It means exactly zero, in this context.

If I pay $30k for a truck that KBB says is worth $20k, neat. If I pay $30k for a truck that KBB says is worth $40k, neat. Sold price matters. And that's it.

Often, dealers that quote me KBB prices on my trade in, funny enough, seem to think KBB is lowballing their sales price. What I'm willing to pay is what matters, not whatever KBB's algorithm says I should pay.

And who said you're going to get your money back? I don't think anyone made that point.

fender_fella

Reaction score
I use an IPAD at home and I just hate having to always wipe off fingerprints. I intentionally wanted the 8.4 in my Laramie because I can use real knobs and my screen stays fingerprint and smudge free. I would not take a 12" touch screen and have to drive around with a towel to wipe it all the time

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use an IPAD at home and I just hate having to always wipe off fingerprints. I intentionally wanted the 8.4 in my Laramie because I can use real knobs and my screen stays fingerprint and smudge free. I would not take a 12" touch screen and have to drive around with a towel to wipe it all the time
I put a $15 glass screen protector on it and clean it when I wash my truck every week. More often than not, there's just a bit of dust to wipe off.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a matte screen protector in my 12". I wipe it off once a month when cleaning the rest of my interior. Cut down glare immensely, and doesn't get fingerprints easily.

Users who are viewing this thread