5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your avg MPG on your Rebel

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think if you’re traveling though on highways, interstates, and even higher speed county roads, it may turn out better. But every day driving in it, town/city/highway, you never get it back. You just don’t. No one is getting close to the EPA numbers around here.
This is one of the shorter routes I use to get into the mountains, just to give you an idea. Most of the mountain driving I do, is a mix of city, highway, Interstate, and 35/45 mph country roads. I always get back with similar mpg's as when I started. My truck has more in common with a Rebel, than it does with a stock Laramie.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
This is one of the shorter routes I use to get into the mountains, just to give you an idea. Most of the mountain driving I do, is a mix of city, highway, Interstate, and 35/45 mph country roads. I always get back with similar mpg's as when I started. My truck has more in common with a Rebel, than it does with a stock Laramie.

Weird. I just reset my trip and ran down to the gas station to get some Millers. 1 mile trip exactly downhill and kickbacks. Averaged 79 down. Didn’t reset at the bottom, but watched the live read on the way back up, between 3 and 6, same 1 mile trip back up. Total average - 8.8 on the trip. Math doesn’t check out, but it’s about right.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
All that said, I’m not complaining about the fuel efficiency. I’ve been in trucks exclusively (except for the wife’s SUV’s) for my last 5 vehicles due to towing a boat. I know what to expect and what not to. I specifically got a Rebel this time because 1) my last 2 f150’s ended with major problems around the 40k mark and 2) I think it’s the best looking truck from the factory.

TSL

Reaction score
I'm about to be a Rebel owner, have one on order right now. Went back and forth between Rebel and Laramie with Off Road Group. From questions I asked elsewhere on the forum I concluded there might only be 1 to 2 mpg difference between Laramie / ORG and Rebel. If that indeed is true then it's not a whole lot. Meanwhile if I compare what I drive today - '07 Subaru Outback XT : it's a 2.5L turbo engine and I get 22mpg on premium in mixed driving, and i drive it fairly aggressively ( enjoy the turbo boost and the low center of gravity, how well planted it is on the road ! ).
Today in my area Premium is $4.59/gal ( sheesh ! ). So at 22mpg that's $0.2086/mile.
Supposing I get 15mpg in the Rebel driving similar roads and supposing I run regular in it, that's $4.29/gal here today. That works out to $0.286/mile at 15mpg.
So the difference is $0.077 / mile.
I drive ~ 8k miles / yr currently so that's an extra $616 / yr at today's prices. So that's not "nothing", but it's not enormous either considering I'm getting a lot more vehicle for the money.
That's how I'm trying to justify it to myself anyway :)
By the way, while I had planned to sell the Subaru to help fund buying the truck, I'm now thinking I'll keep it for short runs and errands. It threw a rod a few months back and I finished up putting a brand new from the factory short block in it, getting the heads&Valves machined, doing the timing belt and clutch as well. It's also had new wheel bearings all around and new brakes ( pads and rotors ). It's running like a new car now and should probably run another 150k+ miles. If I keep it, it will ease the "pain" of owning a Rebel, and I can use the truck for camping / hiking, going to the woods to cut firewood, etc.
I will admit if I'd found this particular thread on the forum before ordering the Rebel, I'd probably have chickened out and got the Laramie !

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm about to be a Rebel owner, have one on order right now. Went back and forth between Rebel and Laramie with Off Road Group. From questions I asked elsewhere on the forum I concluded there might only be 1 to 2 mpg difference between Laramie / ORG and Rebel. If that indeed is true then it's not a whole lot. Meanwhile if I compare what I drive today - '07 Subaru Outback XT : it's a 2.5L turbo engine and I get 22mpg on premium in mixed driving, and i drive it fairly aggressively ( enjoy the turbo boost and the low center of gravity, how well planted it is on the road ! ).
Today in my area Premium is $4.59/gal ( sheesh ! ). So at 22mpg that's $0.2086/mile.
Supposing I get 15mpg in the Rebel driving similar roads and supposing I run regular in it, that's $4.29/gal here today. That works out to $0.286/mile at 15mpg.
I drive ~ 8k miles / yr currently so that's an extra $616 / yr at today's prices. So that's not "nothing", but it's not enormous either considering I'm getting a lot more vehicle for the money.
By the way, while I had planned to sell the Subaru to help fund buying the truck, I'm now thinking I'll keep it for short runs and errands. It threw a rod a few months back and I finished up putting a brand new from the factory short block in it, getting the heads&Valves machined, doing the timing belt and clutch as well. It's also had new wheel bearings all around and new brakes ( pads and rotors ). It's running like a new car now and should probably run another 150k+ miles. If I keep it, it will ease the "pain" of owning a Rebel, and I can use the truck for camping / hiking, going to the woods to cut firewood, etc.
I will admit if I'd found this particular thread on the forum before ordering the Rebel, I'd probably have chickened out and got the Laramie !

I use spreadsheets and math to make myself feel better as well, lol :)

Makes logical sense, you won't know however until you start driving it and see what you will get in the real World.

Just my example, my BMW E90 sedan with a manual gets around 21 mpg on the roads I drive on. My F150 2.7L Ecoboost got me around 18 mpg on that same cycle. My Rebel gets about 13.5 mpg on the same route, however I have an aftermarket exhaust and keen to let it sing a bit, pushing on the throttle just a little bit harder than normal to get that sweet sweet sound. I probably would be closer to 14.5 mpg otherwise.

Reactions: TSL

Gibby0311

Reaction score
I wouldn’t let it sway you, but if you drove your Subaru aggressively and you plan to do the same with the Rebel, I wouldn’t expect 15mpg.

spyder

Reaction score
Hand calculated and normal driving of mostly flat country backroads, I'm getting ~15.5 whether I use 87 or 89 octane. Driving hard it drops down to 13. Trying like hell driving to get good mileage, I get 17. I do almost zero city driving, but a quite a bit of country road and occasional stopsigns.
2021 Rebel 5.7eTorque, all stock, 6600 miles.
Funny. I've been through two tanks since I posted that, driving like grandpa for the most part. Filled at near empty, reset the mileage and economy computers, and hand calculated both fill ups. This time around, I'm averaging 19.2mpg, computer shows 18.1. Same driving and routes as when I get 15.5, but dropping a couple of miles per hour to try and keep the eco light on for as much of it as possible. Which is...below the speed limit, so I won't drive that way if other people are on the road, but it's good to see the truck is capable of it if I'm ever dead broke!

chris288

Reaction score
Ive had my 22 rebel for 3,500 miles, every time i reset the trip meter it always comes right back to between 15 and 16 mpg... my 2015 laramie 5.7 averaged about 18.5.... 75 miles / tank is an extra 20.00 at each fill up @ 4.00 / gallon which is about an extra 1,000 / year... (n)

M02v8r

Reaction score
I'm getting between 15 and 16 mpg with a Rebel GT. If it is all highway I can squeeze it to 17 or so. That's with about 2,000 miles on it now. Wish these dang gas prices would drop back down! I traded in a Ford Fusion that I was getting about 39 mpg in - don't regret getting the Rebel, just getting rid of the Fusion!

spyder

Reaction score
Funny. I've been through two tanks since I posted that, driving like grandpa for the most part. Filled at near empty, reset the mileage and economy computers, and hand calculated both fill ups. This time around, I'm averaging 19.2mpg, computer shows 18.1. Same driving and routes as when I get 15.5, but dropping a couple of miles per hour to try and keep the eco light on for as much of it as possible. Which is...below the speed limit, so I won't drive that way if other people are on the road, but it's good to see the truck is capable of it if I'm ever dead broke!
Same route, another 2 tanks worth of fuel, and still driving like grandpa, which includes sometimes just setting the cruise at 51mph where eco is engaged and no one is in sight. 87 octane this time, and hand calculated at a hair under 20mpg.

I think on my next fillup, I'll go back to normal driving, not pay attention to the numbers, and see how it's getting at a thousand or so miles.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, as fuel is a necessity anyway. I've got a 2500 mile road trip where I'll be loaded somewhat heavy coming up in May that will be a good indicator of what to expect for the life of the truck. A lot of it is driving in Oregon where speed limits are silly.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
Same route, another 2 tanks worth of fuel, and still driving like grandpa, which includes sometimes just setting the cruise at 51mph where eco is engaged and no one is in sight. 87 octane this time, and hand calculated at a hair under 20mpg.

I think on my next fillup, I'll go back to normal driving, not pay attention to the numbers, and see how it's getting at a thousand or so miles.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, as fuel is a necessity anyway. I've got a 2500 mile road trip where I'll be loaded somewhat heavy coming up in May that will be a good indicator of what to expect for the life of the truck. A lot of it is driving in Oregon where speed limits are silly.
I did a trip to Pittsburgh and back on Tuesday with the kids. 160 miles round trip. Averaged 16.8. Half the trip doing about 70, other half doing about 55-60. My 5.0 would get 20 on this trip. Not that it matters…. It spend a whole lot a time in the shop.

SamRebel2020

Reaction score
Two week trip from Florida to Michigan and back. I-75 pretty much all the way. Just love how this truck rides.
89c4f30dd9cec7fc3a10616b03836cf2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edgarrian

Reaction score
I find using the cruise control is when you get the best mpg. I use it a lot

SBBW

Reaction score
I just finished my first tank since I bought mine. Took a trip out of the mountains to the coast in GA. A mix of 1/3 two-lane, 1/3 65mph divided four-lane and 1/3 interstate, with a little in-town driving. I averaged 15.1 both on the computer and by hand. I was super happy with that since I am just at 500 miles now on the odometer. I tried to keep it below 2000rpms on the drive and used the cruise mostly. This is about equal in MPG to my old 2500 Cummins with cheaper fuel.

cliffsta

Reaction score
What speed is the most efficient going down the highway? As in, what is the slowest speed you are traveling at the bottom of 8th gear? 5.7 etorque.

SBBW

Reaction score
What speed is the most efficient going down the highway? As in, what is the slowest speed you are traveling at the bottom of 8th gear? 5.7 etorque.
73 on the interstate, mostly because it was pouring rain Going down. Coming back I ran 76 or so with the flow of traffic.
probably the biggest factor was not using the cruise control much. That way I adjusted my speed on the hills. I found I could maintain my speed with little input vs cruise always seem to downshift at least two gears and jump 2k rpm.

Last edited:

cliffsta

Reaction score
Interesting. I figured 55-65 would be most fuel efficient. Thought you could get into 8th by those speeds with a 3.92 rear gear. Curious how my Rebel will do compared to my Z71 did. It was best 55-60 and really took a dive above 70

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I figured 55-65 would be most fuel efficient. Thought you could get into 8th by those speeds with a 3.92 rear gear. Curious how my Rebel will do compared to my Z71 did. It was best 55-60 and really took a dive above 70
55-60. Mph is the sweat spot for my truck, but then I’m holding up traffic. I usually do a bit over the speed limit on most highways depending on weather conditions and don’t worry about fuel economy so much.

Users who are viewing this thread