5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your avg MPG on your Rebel

dunehiker

Reaction score
I've been looking at moving from a Big Horn to a Rebel but concerned that my mileage will suck even worse (currently at ~16.5 over life of truck with E-Torque). Weird thing is it doesn't seem to matter E-Torque or no the numbers are still all over the place on the Rebel. Should we start posting color as well to see if that makes a difference? :)

Kooch80

Reaction score
I've been looking at moving from a Big Horn to a Rebel but concerned that my mileage will suck even worse (currently at ~16.5 over life of truck with E-Torque). Weird thing is it doesn't seem to matter E-Torque or no the numbers are still all over the place on the Rebel. Should we start posting color as well to see if that makes a difference? :)
I average about 16 with my Rebel

Husky_max

Reaction score
getting 13.5 recently without 4H, before that was about 11, will be worse if using too much remote start.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Like you, I've been trying to make rhyme or reason out of the mileage differences.

The best correlation I can see so far is the 3.6 vs the 5.7 and the gear range to a smaller degree... It seems that the 5.7 Hemi (and 3.92) are getting on the lower end, with some getting 10-12, but most averaging about 14-16mpg.... the 3.6 (and usually 3.21) folks seems to be at 16 mpg on the low end and getting up to the 20's on the high end.

SamRebel2020

Reaction score
Florida to Georgia with dirtbike and gear in the truck bed this past weekend. I-75 most of the way at 75 - 77 mph, local roads were 55 - 65 mostly. Hemi with e-torque - 33K miles.
a0fe4275115868acc406f686170832f4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spyder

Reaction score
Hand calculated and normal driving of mostly flat country backroads, I'm getting ~15.5 whether I use 87 or 89 octane. Driving hard it drops down to 13. Trying like hell driving to get good mileage, I get 17. I do almost zero city driving, but a quite a bit of country road and occasional stopsigns.
2021 Rebel 5.7eTorque, all stock, 6600 miles.

chris288

Reaction score
if i baby the heck out of it 17 my 2015 i could get 20 ...

BB22

Reaction score
Best I’ve ever gotten was 18.6 on an all highway trip doing the speed limit and driving very conservatively. Normal weekly driving is about 50/50 highway and local driving, again driving extremely conservatively I average about 17.3. My 17 Ram Sport would average 17.5 on the same route but I drove that truck very aggressively. If I drove my Rebel like that I doubt that I’d even get 13. I don’t think the E Torque is all they claim it to be.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
I’m just over 700 miles on my 2022 and averaging 12mpg. I drive normal, no desire to try and be fast in a slow truck. That said, I live in the hills so everything is up and down.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m just over 700 miles on my 2022 and averaging 12mpg. I drive normal, no desire to try and be fast in a slow truck. That said, I live in the hills so everything is up and down.

Yup, driving in the hills sucks down fuel like crazy. That's why when people compare mpg, it can sometimes be hard, because for some people, city driving is a flat road with few stops lights. For others is grid lock up and down hills and everything in between.

I know I can get 19 mpg on my truck if I drive very gently on a flat road, but on the hilly terrain where I live, I'm averaging just under 13 mpg.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
Yup, driving in the hills sucks down fuel like crazy. That's why when people compare mpg, it can sometimes be hard, because for some people, city driving is a flat road with few stops lights. For others is grid lock up and down hills and everything in between.

I know I can get 19 mpg on my truck if I very gently on a flat road, but on the hilly terrain where I live, I'm averaging just under 13 mpg.
Agree. Comparisons don’t tell the whole story without all of the variables. I compare it to my last truck because of the same variables. The f150 5.0 was getting me a little better. On the short drives up and down the hills, they were the same. The f150 did get better on the highway though. The Rebel could bump up a little after break in, but I suspect the aerodynamics of a bigger truck and the larger wheels are what keep it down at 70+ mph

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I know I can get 19 mpg on my truck if I drive very gently on a flat road, but on the hilly terrain where I live, I'm averaging just under 13 mpg.
I get the same MPG's on the flat terrain in the valley, as I get when I drive in the mountains. As I'm going uphill, my mileage gets hammered, but as soon as I start back down I recoup all of my lost MPG's. Wouldn't that apply to hilly terrain too?

Gibby0311

Reaction score
I get the same MPG's on the flat terrain in the valley, as I get when I drive in the mountains. As I'm going uphill, my mileage gets hammered, but as soon as I start back down I recoup all of my lost MPG's. Wouldn't that apply to hilly terrain too?
If it worked out like that, sure. Just that in my experience, and everyone I know, it doesn’t. Those miles never recoup. When we visit the in-laws in Buffalo, I’ve reset my trip on the f150. I could average about 18mpg over 100 miles driving in Buffalo for a week stay. As soon as I’m back in WV, 12.5-13.5 over.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If it worked out like that, sure. Just that in my experience, and everyone I know, it doesn’t. Those miles never recoup. When we visit the in-laws in Buffalo, I’ve reset my trip on the f150. I could average about 18mpg over 100 miles driving in Buffalo for a week stay. As soon as I’m back in WV, 12.5-13.5 over.
That's what I'm saying...it does work out that way for me when I go into the mountains. When I get to my destination, I'm at ~12 mpg, but by the time I get home, I'm at ~17.

Gibby0311

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying...it does work out that way for me when I go into the mountains. When I get to my destination, I'm at ~12 mpg, but by the time I get home, I'm at ~17.
I think if you’re traveling though on highways, interstates, and even higher speed county roads, it may turn out better. But every day driving in it, town/city/highway, you never get it back. You just don’t. No one is getting close to the EPA numbers around here.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think if you’re traveling though on highways, interstates, and even higher speed county roads, it may turn out better. But every day driving in it, town/city/highway, you never get it back. You just don’t. No one is getting close to the EPA numbers around here.

Especially if you are driving a Rebel, which wasn't the truck your EPA sticker was tested on. FCA blanket stating every RAM trim the same as a Laramie with 18" street tires and 3.21 axle ratio is downright borderline criminal. I respect GM for actually adjusting the Trail Boss mpg down a few mpg to compensate for their 32" Duratracs on that Silverado.

Users who are viewing this thread