5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ram HK system complete system upgrade

Bacoviah

Reaction score
So over the past weekend we did a total system upgrade and swap. The new system consists of:

Maestro dsr1
Focal Flax 3way
Us Acoustics “Mike” sub amp
JL Audio vxi 800/8 for the 3way
2-jl audio 13tw5(box will be ready tomorrow)
JL Audio 12tw3 in prefab(loaner until box is ready)

Background:
After many years of being a novice and competing is IASCA and modifying many vehicles I decided to keep this vehicle stealth or a stock look. No visible fabrication. Well except for the sub box.

Details:
We put the focal tweeters in the upper door stock speaker location.
Midrange in the stock dash corner locations.
Midbass in the lower door location.

This isn’t ideal for proper imaging but again I did not want to cut into the inner door panel to make the midrange fit in the door upper stock location. More on this later.

I’m having a box made for 2-13tw5 subs but the shop had a bit failure at the last second. They did give me a loaner sub in a prefab box from JL. This was a priceless gesture on their part. Kudos.

The maestro dsr1 we installed where the factory amp was since this equipment allows me to delete the factory amp/anc.
Side note on this. The resistors that come with the maestro make sure you solder instead of using the clips. This will help prevemt introducing noise in to the system. Thank you Michael Cook!!! For this tip.
We are using the dsr1 with all channels full range to flatten the factory signal and using the on board dsp with the JL vxi 800/8 for processing and crossovers.
I am able to eq individual channels on the vxi and then able to use the dsr1 as a master eq with the channels linked to help prevent phase issues. Using both also provides a powerful processing tool.
Forgot to add there is zero noise in the system. A complete black hole!!

The amps we installed behind the rear seat since we removed the factory subwoofer. We also opted to use the factory panel to hide the amps instead making a visible amp rack. As it turns out where the factory sub was there are slits in the carpet that now let fresh air behind the factory panel. I’ll be reproducing this slots for the other amp.

How does it sound??
Ok...so this is where it gets interesting. I’ve owned many vehicles with systems but this is easily the best system I have ever had. The imaging and full sound with the midrange firing off the glass is phenomenal. Huge wide soundstage with plenty of depth and clarity. The only drawback I have is the tweet in the upper door. With this location it brings the soundstage down on the sides which is causing a “rainbow”. Not bad but is audible.

If you have any questions let me know. 80CA0E46-B3AB-4DA1-A3D8-B0C9501886CE.jpeg 9612D427-8E0C-4E89-89C0-2C8FD431B705.jpeg E279D326-203B-484C-943B-0723CF3B73E1.jpeg 310955C7-75D3-4125-A298-DF2242E76D48.jpeg 0AB7769A-C729-4B10-AA85-D3ADEECB8CD6.jpeg 47E43B80-1D9A-4A3C-94CF-23DFAEC7F393.jpeg E5D488D7-FE0B-4D08-BA35-4ED1D2F65BBE.jpeg 441A4806-52D5-4E34-99CC-914CAC669434.jpeg 9B33A5E2-4A70-401E-ADBC-01DF6B45C1C3.jpeg B6706197-8B37-4B04-9F5E-7D8C07475702.jpeg

Last edited:

Bacoviah

Reaction score
So for those of you that are nerds like me here is the a rta using the REW software. This was taken with no EQ done. Completely raw if you will. Actually we barely spent 5 minutes on setting gains and etc. note the sub response. Pretty impressive for the box laying on my back floorboard. The peak at 250 is pretty common for midbass in doors. The valley at 4000khz I haven’t had a chance to investigate yet. Will probably find out more this weekend when I start playing with the slopes,eq and what not. Again this is a raw RTA . If you ask me it’s not shabby at all for no fabrication and all stock locations. That sub is money though 4E10E218-06D7-4167-97DD-548E99D7C57A.jpeg

Last edited:

Burrell Images

Reaction score
Good to know that this is possible! Which head unit do you have? Im ordering the Limited with the 12" screen and was worried about being able to tap into it and make aftermarket sound good. I plan for all new lower door panels and something under the rear seat. Building this truck for SEMA and CES so its gotta be flashy.

Bacoviah

Reaction score
Good to know that this is possible! Which head unit do you have? Im ordering the Limited with the 12" screen and was worried about being able to tap into it and make aftermarket sound good. I plan for all new lower door panels and something under the rear seat. Building this truck for SEMA and CES so its gotta be flashy.

I have the 12 inch screen. I had the same fear you did but it all turned out great with no issues at all. In fact better than I imagined it would be. This platform dodge has makes for a killer sounding system. Here is a box for you. This is a stage 2 and go up to a stage 4 depending on how flashy you want. Factory matching leather and stictching and they also ship I believe for 80 bucks 78F35E72-AC38-4FE1-A6FC-CA85585A4F65.png

Burrell Images

Reaction score
I have the 12 inch screen. I had the same fear you did but it all turned out great with no issues at all. In fact better than I imagined it would be. This platform dodge has makes for a killer sounding system. Here is a box for you. This is a stage 2 and go up to a stage 4 depending on how flashy you want. Factory matching leather and stictching and they also ship I believe for 80 bucks View attachment 8705
What's in there, 10s? We will be using all Memphis equipment. My last two truck builds were tundras and on one, we relcated the rear seat to fit four 10's and the other we made a custom console to house two 10's. I really want more in this tuck but know it wont fit most likely. What all vocals did you use where in it?

Bacoviah

Reaction score
What's in there, 10s? We will be using all Memphis equipment. My last two truck builds were tundras and on one, we relcated the rear seat to fit four 10's and the other we made a custom console to house two 10's. I really want more in this tuck but know it wont fit most likely. What all vocals did you use where in it?

Those are 10’s in the pic. The box I’m having made has 2-jl 13tw5 which is a shallow sub. I’m not sure what Memphis offers but sure you could raise the seat a few inches. There is a lot of room under the rear seat in these new ram trucks.

Bacoviah

Reaction score
what would you do if you didnt want a box under the seat ?
Your options a pretty limited. You could always go with a single jl10tw3. It would be easier to hide and only take up a small amount of room under the seat.

Esworld05

Reaction score
Nice. I just traded my Hellcat Challenger for a Limited, so I have some stuff that I pulled from it before the trade. I'm going to install the pac ach41 since I already have it. That gives a flat clean signal, just didnt know what subs would fit under the seat to begin the build.

Esworld05

Reaction score
How did you attach the piece of wood the your backwall. The one holding the amps in place.

Bacoviah

Reaction score
Looks great. Which shop did the work for you? Where are they located?
Thank you sir. Located in central Texas. Three of us knocked the install out in one weekend. The box I had made by a Audio Source in New Braunfels.

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. Some how I missed this.

Cerwin96

Reaction score
Thank you sir. Located in central Texas. Three of us knocked the install out in one weekend. The box I had made by a Audio Source in New Braunfels.

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. Some how I missed this.
Audio source/Zack rocks. He built my box for my previous f150 and Audi s4. I need to ping him to see how much he's charging to build that box for resale. Great looking setup man.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread