5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone compare the OEM step to the AMP Research step. AMP step looks wider and also seems to protrude more than the OEM.

View attachment 118009
I have the AMP step on the side of the truck and OEM on bumper. The AMP step is nice but no where near as sturdy as the OEM one. The AMP step also flexes a bit and I’m not a heavy dude. As for perks it is adjustable left and right, It is easier to deploy, and does not retract as “violently” as OEM. If it was my choice I’d go OEM

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
EcoDiesel is at 9500 miles so time for its first oil change. I ended up installing one of those valve things to make future oil changes much easier. All went well. Appears no oil consumption which is great. Air filter looked fine so all I have to do now is just rotate the tires and we're back in action.

Here's a link to the Valve thing - https://www.valvomax.com/products/copy-of-1-2-npt-quick-twist-valve-with-plastic-drain-tube-knob
OEM Oil Filter...had to buy a 27MM socket though to get it on. Took exactly 8 liters of oil.

2HNRbVB.jpeg
Does anyone know of an oil drain valve that has a magnet?
I know its unlikely since the magnet is usually on the back of a plug, which a valve probably cant have.
I will chose a valve over a magnet, but was hoping I could have both.

Jr22

Reaction score
Huh that’s odd, I just searched the part number he posted and some results do have park sensors and some don’t like you said. Here is one which does have holes in it with that part number

Here’s the exact link where I got mine https://www.moparpartsinc.com/p/75663268/68334531AD.html

It says it’s specific to the eco diesel trucks but that’s just because there’s an intercooler behind there instead of nothing on the v8 trucks. And if it doesn’t fit right I think these places offer returns.
My man thank you for all the info and link!

Luigi_dfw

Reaction score
I know its unlikely since the magnet is usually on the back of a plug, which a valve probably cant have.
I installed the Mishimoto Magnetic Oil Drain Plug on my 2022 Laramie when I did my first oil change at around 1K miles.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed the Mishimoto Magnetic Oil Drain Plug on my 2022 Laramie when I did my first oil change at around 1K miles.

How is hardness of the aluminum? I've had aluminum magnetic drain plugs before and they were pretty soft, easy to round off and crack around the flange. They weren't Mishimoto though which is top quality

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just thinkin out loud, but i don't think you'd want a valve with a magnet since the point of the valve is to stay in place for the oil change... The magnet attracting the metal frag would either just build up and clog the valve, and/or you'd just have to remove the valve anyways like a regular bolt to clean it. I suppose you could just do that after the oil is drained out, but still seems like a step not intended by a valve setup. I have a Stahlbus type on my ATV, works great, but i have never seen one with a magnet (but then i've never looked either) so if they don't exist, i'd guess that's why. If they do, i'd be interested to hear how well they'd work.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Better solution
CT4.9-800-600x563-1.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
interesting concept tho. and in the guy's example vid he used a "late model 5.7 ram because its notoriously a messy oil change." which, difficult, maybe... idk i'f i'd call it notoriously messy, but then i haven't been under a 4th or 5th gen, so. truthfully i'd probably give it a go if it were like $15... but not for $40.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is hardness of the aluminum? I've had aluminum magnetic drain plugs before and they were pretty soft, easy to round off and crack around the flange. They weren't Mishimoto though which is top quality
Seems pretty solid to me, I’ve had the Mishimoto Magnetic drain plug on for the past 4 oil changes and I like it.

brenan00

Reaction score
Did my first oil change, it was not as bad as what I have read on here.
Yes, the locations are bad. Not like the last time I did one on my 66 289 mustang back in 79.
That was wide open. I think because of my job, I am use to poor designs. I work on medical imaging equipment.
The engineers build a MRI then a design company comes into make them look pretty and figure how to put the cover around them, with limited thought on access for service.
I have used exposed film to redirect water, so that's how I drained the oil.
The filter came off easily, and thanks for tip of using the Ziploc. So no messes.
I am at 2K, I have had the truck since August. Until I get to the mainland in 2 years, this will only be an annual event. I used PUP and a Mobil 1 filter.
I may tackle the rear-end next month.
Laters

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did my first oil change, it was not as bad as what I have read on here.
Yes, the locations are bad. Not like the last time I did one on my 66 289 mustang back in 79.
That was wide open. I think because of my job, I am use to poor designs. I work on medical imaging equipment.
The engineers build a MRI then a design company comes into make them look pretty and figure how to put the cover around them, with limited thought on access for service.
I have used exposed film to redirect water, so that's how I drained the oil.
The filter came off easily, and thanks for tip of using the Ziploc. So no messes.
I am at 2K, I have had the truck since August. Until I get to the mainland in 2 years, this will only be an annual event. I used PUP and a Mobil 1 filter.
I may tackle the rear-end next month.
Laters

I have used exposed film to redirect water,

huh?

Users who are viewing this thread