5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7l vs 6.4l. RAM 1500 vs Grand Wagoneer.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys find this overkill when the 5.7 is now the least powerful engine you can get in a halfton.
So? It's still more than powerful enough for any practical use case this truck is capable of, and can even be overkill for some of those. Just because the numbers are going up, doesn't meant they have to. And anyway, that's not actually true, there's a bunch of engines you can get in a half-ton that are less powerful (GM 5.3, Ford 2.7 Ecoboost, Ram V6, etc.).

Kind of a weird analogy but this reminds me of the creature power creep in Magic the Gathering. And it has a lot to do with why I stopped playing (formally anyway, still play casually with friends occasionally). I'm sure some people will find some benefits but, again, for most people, it's not necessary.

That's not to say that I don't want the option for a bigger, more powerful engine to exist, I'm just saying that for me and many others, we wouldn't bother with it. Hell, I probably could have gotten along with the V6 for my use cases.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can always stroke what you have and add the 6.4L cam and intake manifold. Would take tunning as well, but that's a very mild build and should be an easy tune. My guestimate would be 5-7k, or add a Procharger kit to what you have at ~8k.
I personally have a power bug fix in my other vehicle, although not running ATM, but I think the way my truck is equipped is perfect for my daily driver and towing needs. It doesn't lack any power, even with oversized wheels/tires, the 5.7 with ZF8 & 3.92 gears are stout performers.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So? It's still more than powerful enough for any practical use case this truck is capable of, and can even be overkill for some of those.

Yes, and so is the 5.7 compared to the 3.6. Do you need the 5.7? Doubt it.

This is a feature request of mine. I'd like the 6.4, because I tow, and because I just like the power. If you don't want it, grab the 5.7.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I've had a 2016 silverado with a 5.3. Felt like a dog stock, and became unbearable once I put 33" tires on it.

The 5.7 in the Ram is nice, but I too wish we could get a 6.4 option. At the same time, the 5.7 must be really held back to only produce 395HP. Feels like it could be uptuned a bit and be right on pace with GM's 6.2l.

As for Ford's ecoboost and Toyota's new engines, I just can't bring myself to ever want to drive it. It will always feel like a screaming V6 with twin turbos, pushing itself to unreliability. No matter how fast those TT V6's feel to drive, I just enjoy driving a V8. The sound of the Hemi alone makes me want to stay with Ram.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Love my Ram. Best truck I ever owned. But, there's no excuse to not offer the 6.4 in the 1500. The only thing I miss from my Chevrolet is the 6.2/10spd which is, frankly, much superior to the 5.7/8spd. More power and better gas mileage. Financially it balances out because of the cost savings on 87 vs 93 but the 6.2 just revs and sings so well.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Eh, couple of dudes bought a $90k truck that gets 8-11 mpg, and are complaining about the cost of gas. They're getting slaughtered.
Most of the talk is about de-tuning it to a lower horsepower.
Well if that is their reasoning, they just bought the wrong truck. Seems like a Rebel would fit those needs, and even then the MPG isn't that much improved. Granted, nobody likes to see single digits when they calculate MPG, but what could they possibly expect?

Years ago I bought a 69 Vette big block. Got 11 MPG the day I drove it home (200 miles). That was the first, last and only time I achieved double digits. Did it hurt every time I filled up? Hell yeah. DId I pitch and moan about? Hell no - I drove it like I stole it for ten years, and smiled the whole time 😄

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
Love my Ram. Best truck I ever owned. But, there's no excuse to not offer the 6.4 in the 1500. The only thing I miss from my Chevrolet is the 6.2/10spd which is, frankly, much superior to the 5.7/8spd. More power and better gas mileage. Financially it balances out because of the cost savings on 87 vs 93 but the 6.2 just revs and sings so well.
Agreed on the 6.4, but I'd keep the ZF trans.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I looked a Grand Wagoneer at the dealer yesterday and talked with the sales manager about it. I love the Grand Wagoneer, but I’m very disappointed that they don’t have a diesel option for the US.

Users who are viewing this thread